Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which part of New Jersey do you dislike the most?
I can't stand the trailer park, meth infested, confederate flag waving, inbred rural areas 13 29.55%
I hate the gang ridden, drug addled welfare grubbing cities 26 59.09%
The suburbs are boring... 5 11.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 05:53 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times

Advertisements

we have meth infested trailer parks in NJ??? I thought that was like a Tennessee or Kentucky issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 06:25 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,053 times
All of NJ? lol

Old 03-06-2014, 06:54 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
I dislike the redneck areas in SNJ the most. Urban blight is urban blight. You expect it in any state. Suburbs are suburbs. Commuter towns are commuter towns.

Country music loving, Nascar-watching racist white wannabe-hicks shouldn't be within an hour of NYC or PHI, among the largest cities in America, and as blue and northeastern as it gets.

Welfare queens and gang violence are bad. Toothless yokels who are just as poor, but living in trailers are worse.
Ding Ding Ding!!! I knew we'd have a winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
How far is enough to be content? I have my home on a 16 acre lot in the suburbs (West Windsor). It's not miles to the next neighbor, but it's private enough.
Far enough away so that they won't be bothered by what I'm doing (shooting, hunting, riding an ATV, running my dog, etc...) and that I won't be bothered what they're doing. 16 acres would probably be plenty, provided it was at least partially wooded. I've been through the part of West Windsor where you probably live and it's quite nice. The property taxes must be a little rough though.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:19 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Paterson, nj it was not a pleasant experience the brief time I spent there. But I'm sure most of it is nice though.
Let me guess, Newark Airport straight to NYC? If yes, you don't get to comment, sorry.

I would insert this smilie to show I'm being lighthearted and not to sound nasty, but I mean what I say. Nevertheless, .

Old 03-06-2014, 12:40 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
The only part of NJ that I try to avoid is the northern end of the turnpike. It's just so depressing.

I lived in northern Bergen Cty most of my life, and I still enjoy visiting the area. I lived in GreenTwp for 4 years, (Sussex Cty), and it was peaceful, beautiful, and a favorite of our kids.

Everybody likes the shore. What is there not to like?

Even the Newark and Paterson have things to offer, including some great dining.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:52 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The only part of NJ that I try to avoid is the northern end of the turnpike. It's just so depressing.
I actually find it kind of interesting. I used to enjoy taking the PATH from Harrison into NYC when I was in college in part just to look at the post-industrial urban decay along the Passaic River and in the marshlands. Some of the infrastructure (various types of swing, portal, and hinged bridges, old factories, etc...) there is over 100 years old and it's just interesting to look at.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:11 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,134 times
I can't stand the urban areas that smell bad, have old infrastructure, and/or sketch like in Hudson county (seacaucus, bayonne, harrison, hoboken, parts of JC.) The other piece is the fact that gentrification in these areas occur at an incredibly slow pace compared to other parts of the country, thus making the areas rather depressing to live in compared to the 'burbs.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:24 PM

882 posts, read 1,669,709 times
My least favorite is the Rt. 130 corridor in Burlington County. A lot of big truck wearhouses and decrepit strip malls that haven't been updated since the 80s. Driving the paralell side road through the downtowns of all the riverline towns is...interesting. Being from Morris/Essex area I'm conditioned to expect small 19th-century downtowns with rail stops to be somewhat fancy and thriving. Burlington City, Riverside, Roebling and similar places are encouraging because of their potential, but right now just depressing. Also, it's a region of the state with which many North Jerseyans are unfamiliar.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:03 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Let me guess, Newark Airport straight to NYC? If yes, you don't get to comment, sorry.

I would insert this smilie to show I'm being lighthearted and not to sound nasty, but I mean what I say. Nevertheless, .
No, I dropped off a shipmate there, that was his home and I end up meeting his family, that was a long two hours man. I personally have family members who live in various parts of nj but not Paterson.

Last edited by ipaper; 03-06-2014 at 02:31 PM..

Old 03-06-2014, 03:27 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
I hate the parts where people make generalizations like "I hate Northern NJ - it's so crowded". Dollars to donuts I live in a less congested place than where they live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey