Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 07:06 AM

13 posts, read 23,410 times

Advertisements

Good Morning,

I was a lurker for a few years here,and decided to sign up today.Need your help/opinion.I currently reside in Elizabeth NJ. I am currently looking in West Orange NJ,and dont know nothing about the city/good areas.My price range is 300k,taxes dont matter.I have two kids, one 18months and 2months.
I would like to know which areas in West Orange are good?
How is the school system?I have looked on greatschools.com and seen the ratings,
but real life experience is better.
Anything specific I should know of West Orange?
How is the area around this property?71 Valley Way, West Orange Township, NJ 07052 (MLS# 3122086) - West Orange Township NJ Real Estate - ColdwellBankerMoves.com

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 08:35 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
I don't know much about Redwood Elementary, but that area of town seems nice. It's literally the opposite corner of where I live, so I've only been over there a few times. Maybe call the police department to talk to them about that area. I know there's been some fairly isolated crime off of main street heading into East Orange/Orange area. But the property seems fairly isolated from that.

West Orange is a great town. We lack a true "downtown", but from that corner, you could easily utilize Montclair as your downtown (I utilize South Orange mostly). The downsides of the town are obviously the higher than average municipal tax rate. A major upside is the location. Accessibility to NYC, to the GSP and NJTP as well as 280 and 78 not being far away. Turtle Back Zoo on Northfield is an awesome local attraction for your kiddos.

There's another poster on here that I think lives in that section. Maybe he can comment.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:40 AM

267 posts, read 352,186 times
Well i'm familair with house. It's in the neighborhood where I live. I have a 2 year old. From what I've heard Redwood is nice and the other families in the area like it. It's one of the reasons we picked that area, that and proximity to the Montclair downtown area. For where me and my wife work the commute is easy as well so that's nice. We like the area and the neighborhood

Old 03-07-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
I don't know much about Redwood Elementary, but that area of town seems nice. It's literally the opposite corner of where I live, so I've only been over there a few times. Maybe call the police department to talk to them about that area. I know there's been some fairly isolated crime off of main street heading into East Orange/Orange area. But the property seems fairly isolated from that.

West Orange is a great town. We lack a true "downtown", but from that corner, you could easily utilize Montclair as your downtown (I utilize South Orange mostly). The downsides of the town are obviously the higher than average municipal tax rate. A major upside is the location. Accessibility to NYC, to the GSP and NJTP as well as 280 and 78 not being far away. Turtle Back Zoo on Northfield is an awesome local attraction for your kiddos.

There's another poster on here that I think lives in that section. Maybe he can comment.
Thanks for the reply.Im sure my daughter would love that zoo.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcip View Post
Well i'm familair with house. It's in the neighborhood where I live. I have a 2 year old. From what I've heard Redwood is nice and the other families in the area like it. It's one of the reasons we picked that area, that and proximity to the Montclair downtown area. For where me and my wife work the commute is easy as well so that's nice. We like the area and the neighborhood
Hey Mcip.Thanks for reply.How long you've been living in this area,If you don't mind me asking?Have you had any problems in this area or in any part of West Orange ?

Old 03-07-2014, 09:52 AM

we moved into the area 2 years ago. We've had no issues in the area at all. Like I said I have a 2 year old and when the weather is nice we often go walking around the area. When we want the downtown we take the not even 5 minute drive into montclair ( the first few houses on Valley Way are actually Montclair Address's). We enjoy shopping on Route 10 and Essex Green is really convenient. The Zoo, Like brady said, is great. We buy the membership each year. The area is very diverse as far as racial backgrounds go. We've seen some new families move in since we moved in and a bunch of people putting money into there homes. It's really is a nice affordable area.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:17 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,487 times
I used to live in that area as well. its nice and your very close to montclair as well as the bus stop and main street which has a bunch of shops. Looks like a nice house and a good deal. Good luck!

Old 03-07-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcip View Post
we moved into the area 2 years ago. We've had no issues in the area at all. Like I said I have a 2 year old and when the weather is nice we often go walking around the area. When we want the downtown we take the not even 5 minute drive into montclair ( the first few houses on Valley Way are actually Montclair Address's). We enjoy shopping on Route 10 and Essex Green is really convenient. The Zoo, Like brady said, is great. We buy the membership each year. The area is very diverse as far as racial backgrounds go. We've seen some new families move in since we moved in and a bunch of people putting money into there homes. It's really is a nice affordable area.
That's good to hear.Thanks for your help,Really hard coming out of one county you know alot of ,into one you know nothing about.haha,but you guys made my decision that much easier.Thanks

Old 03-07-2014, 10:36 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
I've got a 3 yr old, a 20 month old, and a 2 month old. So when you get settled in, ping us and we should all get together. I also know an amazing realtor who knows this area well. he could give you the good and bad about any homes you're considering.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:37 AM

Zoo meet up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey