Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 06:22 PM

882 posts, read 1,670,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
UGH, I am so sorry about that sammy. The new Google maps is a mess. I seriously prefer the older version where a Short Link URL would work. Try this link out perhaps.

http://goo.gl/maps/1qOWX

Nice map! Mt. Holly would make a nice little railroad town. So would Moorestown, but the locals are opposed to a train, even if it would help revitalize their downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 08:07 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
Nice map! Mt. Holly would make a nice little railroad town. So would Moorestown, but the locals are opposed to a train, even if it would help revitalize their downtown.
Sadly so buddy. I wonder why though. Perhaps they like driving through the choked Route 38 Traffic.

Mount holly-Philadelphia is one of the lines that could actually be useful for commuters to Philly, and basically touches all the south Jersey Suburbs to Philly. I would much rather go with this project than the Lackawanna Cutoff when it comes to returns on infrastructure investment. The Tracks for Lackawanna are too slow and curvy. Driving on I 80 from north jersey to the Poconos is faster. The trains will be limited to an MPS (Maximum Permissible Speed) of 70 MPH on this route, while on I 80, I usually cruise at 75 MPH under normal traffic flow conditions.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:27 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Sadly so buddy. I wonder why though. Perhaps they like driving through the choked Route 38 Traffic.
I'd wager it's because the train line runs right through their town at grade, often within 10-30ft of residential property, and crossing every N-S road in the town at grade as well.

I'd imagine a train line would have a significant impact on quality of life in the town, as well as traffic.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:01 PM

136 posts, read 224,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
Ideally there would be many new rail projects, but the political will and public funds likely aren't available in the current climate. Also, it's tough for the state to prioritize. An expansion of the Newark light rail would be great to integrate the downtown with the rest of the city. OTOH, surrounding towns have good connectivity with downtown, and there are few employers or entertainment in Newark's outer wards. An expanded light rail out of Jersey City makes a lot of sense for better integrating the Gold Coast. As a resident of the rural west, any rail service to alleviate AM traffic on 80, 46, and 10 would be nice. As a frequent commuter to Philly, a West Trenton extension or Riverline expansion would be nice. But there aren't funds for all of these...
Trust me, If there was the will, the money could be found fairly easily (existing funds, special tax districts, alternative revenue sources, bonding, etc.). Not all these projects would occur at once of course but over a number of years. It would not be too difficult to make this the most interconnected region in the nation. Not to mention the potential boom to the state's cities this would bring about. The money isn't hard to find without even getting into the exorbitantly bloated government we have to pay for currently.

While we are sharing "fantasy maps" I created a map a while back while I had some time on my hands. It shows all current NJT lines as well as officially proposed lines and further out possibilities for train service (current lines are in black and Brown by division proposals and expansions are in color). Also in a different layer I created a full Urban Jersey subway system connecting Newark with essex county, Elizabeth and Hudson county as well as fully connecting JC with the rest of Hudson county. (existing lines are all in black I believe here). North Jersey if built out, South Jersey is still a work in progress (before I get any comments I'm working on it when I find the time). found here

Finally, I disagree with what you have to say about Newark being well connecting to surrounding towns. Surrounding towns do have commuter rail but this does not provide the benefit that heavy rail would in integrating the regional economy and promoting growth.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:00 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times
they should expand the light rail and the PATH to further integrate Newark's suburbs and Hudson County

Old 03-29-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
they should expand the light rail and the PATH to further integrate Newark's suburbs and Hudson County
PATH extension to Newark Airport and HBLR extension to Englewood are about the only two expansion projects that ARE likely to happen in the near future. So you're sort of getting your wish there.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:19 PM

145 posts, read 314,857 times
I don't understand why they want to extend the PATH to Newark Airport. That has to be the most uncomfortable place to bring all your luggage. It just seems silly, especially since the Northeast Corridor already stops there, and those trains actually run fairly often.

I have a lot of transit ideas, none of which will ever happen because they would all cost too much, but something I'd like to see would be a new PATH line to connect places like Weehawken, West NY, North Bergen, UC, Edgewater, etc. to Manhattan. 24 hour rail service to those places would be great.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellmike View Post
I don't understand why they want to extend the PATH to Newark Airport. That has to be the most uncomfortable place to bring all your luggage. It just seems silly, especially since the Northeast Corridor already stops there, and those trains actually run fairly often.
I'm guessing that the selling point is a one seat ride to WTC/Lower Manhattan and Jersey City (since it's the WTC line that'll be getting extended). The other thing is that it's a great location to pull people off the roads from. I-78, US-22, 1&9 all meet next to the existing Newark Airport NJT station. Build a big parking deck there and it should be like Harrison station has become for the I-280 crowd.

There's tons of people from my area (Somerset Co, I-78) who waste limited capacity on the Turnpike Ext/Pulaski to drive into Journal Square or the other PATH stations to get to WTC, since NJ Transit from that far out is too slow and too limited for their needs, especially when they don't necessarily leave work early enough for the PM Rush trains.

I think the other aspect here is that mismanaged as it is, the PA actually has the funds to build it.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:38 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
BTW, North Brunswick station is progressing well . The platform concrete plates were shipped by truck just a few days ago.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:07 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,527 times
Quote:
On the NJ side those that have moved to the western part of the state often say they did so to get away from congestion, density and the other "problems" of New York City and the more built-up parts of NJ
These people are being greedy, not caring about harming their fellow citizen. Don't weant congestion? Too bad, you have no right to deny basic services to your neighbor. You may be rich and not need it but other people are poorer.
Why the hell is everyone so god damned egocentric?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey