Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 04:42 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Curious about NJ Democratic support for Tesla sales.

Anyone find any reference to specific NJ Dem support to oppose the ban on sales that takes effect April 1st?

Democratic lawmakers want to stop Christie's anti-Tesla rule in NJ | NJ.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 07:29 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
I've read elsewhere, that while this is inconvenient, most buyers are ok with this. They are banned in Texas as well. And the folks that buy them there fully understand they can not technically "buy" them in Texas.

I'm all for innovation shaking up an industry. We need someone to disrupt BIG CABLE next. I despise cable companies.
I'm seriously considering just never buying a car from a NJ dealership again. The thing is, even states that are "better" than NJ in this area are still pretty horrible. I have a friend who works for Wells Fargo doing financial service work for dealerships and she says NJ is the worst state to buy a car in that she deals with (PA, DE, MD, NJ, NY).

Old 03-13-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Curious about NJ Democratic support for Tesla sales.

Anyone find any reference to specific NJ Dem support to oppose the ban on sales that takes effect April 1st?
I don't think you'll find any Democrats or Republicans coming out against the dealer franchise law. It would have to be someone who's district has 0 dealerships.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
I don't know if the internet will be that cheap because the infrastructure is still a bit costly. Bandwidth prices are still pretty ridiculously high. I am curious how Google fiber's pricing strategy will be in this region considering Time Warner has a monopoly on my area right now.
Google is really not building out a fiber network "aggressively". I'm not sure why people think anything is going to change in this industry any time soon. Anyone who is a customer of Time Warner or Comcast right now is contributing to the problem. Verizon, believe it or not, is small potatoes in the world of Cable and fiber internet.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:57 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,045,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
Google is really not building out a fiber network "aggressively". I'm not sure why people think anything is going to change in this industry any time soon. Anyone who is a customer of Time Warner or Comcast right now is contributing to the problem. Verizon, believe it or not, is small potatoes in the world of Cable and fiber internet.
In my opinion they are moving aggressively, they are available in plenty of cities right now. You forget they entered this area of business with little core competency. It obviously takes time but they have done very well in the time they have been around.

What do you want me to do cancel my timewarner? What is my other option slow DSL? Dialup?

Old 03-13-2014, 09:12 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
and if they charge the same money for higher speed, that makes comcrap/optimum etc offering look like a much worse value right? That would then force Big Cable to either lower prices or improve the product, right? Thats what is at stake here. Competition breeds innovation. By maintaining the status quo in any industry, you let these guys rest on their laurels, and that is NOT good for the consumer.
yeah, im not saying that it wouldnt be better. im just saying it doesnt excite me as much as the cloud concept.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
In my opinion they are moving aggressively, they are available in plenty of cities right now. You forget they entered this area of business with little core competency. It obviously takes time but they have done very well in the time they have been around.

What do you want me to do cancel my timewarner? What is my other option slow DSL? Dialup?
Google fiber is in 3 cities: KC, Provo (Utah), and Austin (TX). They've got 34 more cities (in 9 basic metro areas) slated for expansion. They've got no expansion plans beyond these cities, and there's no guarantee these 34 will even get fiber, as well as no timeline.

https://fiber.google.com/newcities/

Timewarner cable internet is not substantially faster than DSL. and if people don't start leaving Timewarner and Comcast, then you'll be stuck with their crappy service for quite a long time.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:01 PM

1,846 posts, read 2,045,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
Google fiber is in 3 cities: KC, Provo (Utah), and Austin (TX). They've got 34 more cities (in 9 basic metro areas) slated for expansion. They've got no expansion plans beyond these cities, and there's no guarantee these 34 will even get fiber, as well as no timeline.

https://fiber.google.com/newcities/

Timewarner cable internet is not substantially faster than DSL. and if people don't start leaving Timewarner and Comcast, then you'll be stuck with their crappy service for quite a long time.
You are wrong...

Old 03-13-2014, 08:08 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
I call Comcast regularly for them to lower my bill for internet. they always offer me faster speeds. what do I want faster speeds for? so my wife can get used to faster speeds and now im stuck paying more? I try to get the lowest speed that my wife wont notice for the lowest price.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
You are wrong...
Broadband Internet Speed Comparison - DSL vs Cable

Unless you're paying for Time Warner's higher speed offerings, it's very likely most internet users would not see a big difference in performance, especially given cable internet's weakness of congestion slowing speeds down.

i personally wouldn't want to make the switch, but these days, i might do it if i lived in an area that was monopolized by TW or CC. They need to be forced to compete. Google is having an impact, but it's tiny at the moment.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20999...ber-looms.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey