Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 02:13 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Cost of living better for sure.

Downsides:

- full of insufferable Texans,
- rest of state is North Mexico,
- most public schools complete garbage,
- summers full of 100 degree days and only getting hotter,
- too many guns,
- politicians complete morons like Rick Perry,
- Dallas Cowboys
have you lived in texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 03:10 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
have you lived in texas?
I think he is just trolling for reactions. Hard to take his remarks seriously.

Since moving here to Texas over the summer, I've met so many folks here from NJ. So many transplants here from other areas. There are certainly many things I miss about NJ but certainly glad to be here.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:29 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I've seen this low humidity mentioned several times. People are CLEARLY not talking about Houston. That place is a swamp.
I think that's in reference to the Outback, or Plains or whatever that brown dusty flat part is called.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:46 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
Quote:
Nah, just being realistic of the pros & cons of different places. When I hear that ____ (FL, NC, PA, TX) is some kind of shangri-la compared to the northeast it almost always boils down to one thing & one thing only...cost.
Florida!!! Don't you mean God's waiting room.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
have you lived in texas?
What would i do that for?

I had a professor in college who said that he'd never set foot in TX because "they killed Kennedy." He really believed that.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
What would i do that for?

I had a professor in college who said that he'd never set foot in TX because "they killed Kennedy." He really believed that.
So I guess you did also by your statement?

Old 03-12-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
So I guess you did also by your statement?
Before my time. But he was pretty hated down there. Should never have been in a convertible. He was told asmuch.

I've never lived in North Dakota or Kansas but I know I'd never want to. Just as plenty of ppl wouldn't want to live here. I take no offense.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Before my time. But he was pretty hated down there. Should never have been in a convertible. He was told asmuch.

I've never lived in North Dakota or Kansas but I know I'd never want to. Just as plenty of ppl wouldn't want to live here. I take no offense.
It was a different time or so we thought.

The only state I wouldn't consider would be fla.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:15 PM

414 posts, read 931,121 times
Default The lone star state

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I've seen this low humidity mentioned several times. People are CLEARLY not talking about Houston. That place is a swamp.
Definitely agree with you here! I've spent some time in Houston & Galveston in the summer and I remember the how intense the humidity was. Very similar to what I've experienced in New Orleans.

Walk out your hotel to that rental car and you're drenched in sweat from head to toe...madness, I tell ya!

Be prepared to spend a lot of time behind the wheel also since the state is sooo big and wide and pray that the AC doesn't conk out on your car!

Aside from this though...I enjoyed a lot about TX (can't speak for Dallas ). The people are warm and genuinely friendly IMO, Tex-Mex & Southern food kicks ass, cost of living is very reasonable compared to NJ, beautiful beach in Galveston (pre-Katrina anyway).

One concern I would have if I were contemplating moving there is the current status of post-Katrina "refugees" from some of the hard core areas like the Ninth Ward in New Orleans (this area was comparable to Camden before the hurricane hit). No doubt some of the Louisiana riff-raff is still there in Houston and other nearby cities in TX. (I'm not dissin' New Orleans BTW...I've got family there and love it).

I have a cousin moving to Houston from NJ in the near future...I think he'll make out like a fat rat in terms of a nice home with lots of acreage. Kinda jealous actually lol.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:02 PM

390 posts, read 1,367,361 times
Texas leads the nation in workers earning at or below the federal minimum wage, is the state with the highest percentage of minimum wage jobs, and also leads the nation in percentage of citizens uninsured.

And then after that you get to send your kids to some of the worst regarded public schools in the country.

No thanks, I'll stay up here in the wealthy, educated, progressive northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey