Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 06:46 PM

11,343 posts, read 16,699,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
I notice Texas-philiacs point out how "liberal" parts of the state are, mostly due to transplants from the coasts. No mention of the millions of rednecks & goobers in between.

Let's get real about schools too. Jersey's consistently in top 3 along with other "librul, commie" states like Massachusetts & Maryland. Have never seen TX anywhere near the top.
Guess we dropped down to 8th, even Arkansas came in higher at 5th.

Quality Counts 2013 Education Rankings Come In: Maryland First, South Dakota Last
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 07:10 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post

Quality Counts 2013 Education Rankings Come In: Maryland First, South Dakota Last
Nice to see Texas at 14. Not as dismal as our anti Texas folks make it out of be.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:39 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy20 View Post
Nice to see Texas at 14. Not as dismal as our anti Texas folks make it out of be.
that may be an impressive feat considering the proximity to mexico.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:34 PM

239 posts, read 413,766 times
Hey, Everyone,

Life changes are sometimes out of our control, particularly when you have a family, young children, cost of living is usually a big concern.

On the other hand, I am single, and I have chosen the northeast, NJ, as my place.

I have lived in so many places, from Vermont to Georgia, to Colorado to Washington.

I do not care about cost; I care about education, culture, progressive politics, and being on the cutting edge of all that is current.

Even if I did have children, I would not want to bring them up without a Northeastern education.

How to afford it? You cut back. In the end, the time you spend in the north, gain an education, is exponential to your earning power.

Best wishes for new employment and new opportunities.

Last edited by Sagafrika; 03-13-2014 at 09:50 PM..

Old 03-14-2014, 06:43 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,799 times
Hmm...no TX here. NJ #3 & FL in top 10:

States With the Best (and Worst) Schools - 24/7 Wall St.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:11 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,807,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
He already found a house down in Dallas for $175k that's twice as large as his current and property taxes about 20% less than what he's paying while his salary takes no hit.
Yes, but a house is not just a house. It has a location. In real estate location is everything.
He would be comparing apples to apples only if this house in Dallas that he "found" is in a comparable school district as the one here in NJ.

Now that he has made his decision, he, of course, his going to rub your nose in how "great" Texas is.

My wiser mom has always said, with everything in life, you gain some things, you lose some things.
Your co-worker will find that out soon enough.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:42 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy20 View Post
the biggest thing in Education Week's ranking system that pulls NJ down to 8 is spending per pupil. While I'm not saying it's not important to rank that, if you eliminated that from the rankings, NJ shoots up and many other states drop.

Now, you may or may not care how much your state spends per pupil. But I'd rather look at things like readiness for college and education performance. I already know we spend too much per pupil in NJ, but that's not hurting my kids' education performance, so why should it lower the states' Education ranking?

Old 03-14-2014, 08:49 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post

You send your kids to Arkansaw schools & let us know how that works out.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:05 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
Yeah, but here in NJ it is pretty much impossible for a college graduate in their mid 20s to even join the middle class without enough "experience", which is a thing prospect employers love to throw back as an excuse for no opportunity.

I see plenty of new jobs popping up here in NJ, but it is an either a or b situation:

A. If you don't have 7-10 years of "experience" of the given position, well you can forget about ever being considered.

B. It pays around $25,000 per year, whether it is salary or hourly rate. And every year you get a 10-15 cent raise per hour. And ZERO growth potential!
While I agree this is a big issue. But that's part of the challenge here in the Northeast is the competitiveness of the region.

Company I work for is very large and relocating to Texas is possible depending on the line of business you work for but I prefer to stay in the Northeast until it's time to hang it up.

People from the South just don't have the competitiveness or the drive for success. I'm sure life is a lot less hectic and easier there than up here so I noticed most of the colleagues in our Texas office seem a lot more laid back and less aggressive. There's nothing wrong with that but in my line of business in IT you really need to stay on top of technology and stay current or else you drop to the bottom of the food chain.

Which is why most of the high level work is still being done in the Northeast and the South just handles most of the remedial work for us.

There are more and more folks transferring to the Texas office I just don't think I'm ready to make the move.

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:44 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
i see what you're saying vision, but i think you worded it poorly. it's not that they don't have the drive for success, it's that success is defined differently depending on where you are. in the Northeast, there's this common mentality that you don't leave work til the boss leaves, even if you have no work to do. that's not the way people think everywhere. it's not that they lack a drive for success, it's that success isn't the same as it is in NYC. speaking generally, but that's my experience having worked for 2 different companies with offices all over the country, you could see the difference between offices based on the regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey