U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: So what is it??
Taylor Ham all the way! 30 50.00%
Pork Roll, baby! 22 36.67%
You're both wrong...it's something else! (specify in your reply) 3 5.00%
Who cares?! 5 8.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 06:31 AM

324 posts, read 480,751 times

Advertisements

I call it pork roll because of where I grew up. Also, I don't like to call things something that they're not. You shouldn't call it Taylor Ham or Hatfield Ham unless you're sure that's the brand.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 07:38 AM

15,401 posts, read 12,033,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyStrong1 View Post
I call it pork roll because of where I grew up. Also, I don't like to call things something that they're not. You shouldn't call it Taylor Ham or Hatfield Ham unless you're sure that's the brand.
According to Wikipedia, which may or may not be true, Taylor invented it. If that is true, then pork roll is just a name somebody came along and used so they didn't have to give Taylor credit. They made a "pork roll" just like his and sold it as generic pork roll. To me, it's all Taylor Ham. But I don't give it a second thought if someone calls it pork roll. Actually, in real life I don't think I have ever heard someone call it pork roll. It just doesn't come up in regular conversation.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:49 AM

550 posts, read 849,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
According to Wikipedia, which may or may not be true, Taylor invented it. If that is true, then pork roll is just a name somebody came along and used so they didn't have to give Taylor credit. They made a "pork roll" just like his and sold it as generic pork roll. To me, it's all Taylor Ham. But I don't give it a second thought if someone calls it pork roll. Actually, in real life I don't think I have ever heard someone call it pork roll. It just doesn't come up in regular conversation.
All this talk about brand name vs. generic name is making me cry. Please pass me the Kleenex.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:15 AM

29,915 posts, read 34,216,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
That's kind of stunning. I grew up in New England, but as soon as I moved here, I probably came across Taylor Ham dozens of times in my first year here.

Not sure if it is even heavier by region north/central...?
I am confused when people say its such a popular nj food. ive always lived in central nj, im curious why ive never noticed it. at home growing up, no breakfast meat was really common in my house. my parents grew up in Brooklyn. we were never kosher but my mom is nuts so she generally avoided pork products even though it was never mentioned. i never noticed it in restaurants, still don't. i guess i can try it so i can see how good or not good it is.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:13 AM

67,510 posts, read 63,014,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I am confused when people say its such a popular nj food. ive always lived in central nj, im curious why ive never noticed it. at home growing up, no breakfast meat was really common in my house. my parents grew up in Brooklyn. we were never kosher but my mom is nuts so she generally avoided pork products even though it was never mentioned. i never noticed it in restaurants, still don't. i guess i can try it so i can see how good or not good it is.
You will normally find it in diners. Taylor ham, egg, and cheese on a hard roll is "the New Jersey breakfast." I used to be on a bowling league in Jersey City--the alley sold Taylor ham and cheese sandwiches, too.

Your mother avoiding pork products is likely why you never ate it. My mother would fry it up with eggs for us on a Saturday morning. It's greasy and probably not good for you.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:39 AM

912 posts, read 932,924 times
I have a question...I know it's called Taylor Ham in North Jersey...now we have the Taylor brand here, but the label says "Taylor Pork Roll".

is that the same thing you are talking about? I NEVER see Taylor HAM on any label.

(there is also Case's Pork Roll and Trenton Pork Roll .. at least around me)

Old 03-16-2014, 12:12 PM

15,401 posts, read 12,033,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
I have a question...I know it's called Taylor Ham in North Jersey...now we have the Taylor brand here, but the label says "Taylor Pork Roll".

is that the same thing you are talking about? I NEVER see Taylor HAM on any label.

According to the Wikipedia article I read, back in like 1908, the FDA made Taylor change the name from "Ham" to "Pork Roll". They said his product does not qualify as "ham".

Now I know more than I ever wanted to know about Taylor Ham.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:12 PM

67,510 posts, read 63,014,047 times
Quote:

You're right, but we always called it Taylor ham.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:26 PM

22,402 posts, read 34,154,594 times
Quote:

It is mostly called pork roll in the Philly area - probably why Trenton having more historical influence from Philly may call it such

In Philly Taylor was just a different (thinner) version of pork roll compared to what hatfield offered (thicker version)

I personally call them "fat boy" sanwiches - Wawa sells the Hatfield (thicker version) kind pre-made on a bagel. I have seen them mostly without or sometimes with eggs down in these parts (Philly area) and we always call them Pork Roll and Cheese sandwiches (quite flavorful to me)

Old 03-16-2014, 01:03 PM

2,099 posts, read 3,102,367 times
Sausage/egg/cheese on a bagel toasted with ketchup and hot sauce.

In my town you rarely heard "pork roll". "Taylor ham" was more present, but not highly used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey