Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: So what is it??
Taylor Ham all the way! 30 50.00%
Pork Roll, baby! 22 36.67%
You're both wrong...it's something else! (specify in your reply) 3 5.00%
Who cares?! 5 8.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 07:18 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,343,911 times

Advertisements

So I went to the grocery store the other day and decided to buy a package of the Taylor stuff...which is labeled Taylor Pork Roll. One thing I did notice, it's $1.00 more then Case's. So I guess I'll see if it's worth it

I honestly just usually grab Cases or Trenton (probably because it is cheaper). Either way, they are all pork roll. Great stuff, either on a sandwich with egg, or on a burger (otherwise known as the Trenton burger)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 10:32 AM

72 posts, read 113,508 times
Pork roll....my parents came from central and north and they also both refer to it as pork roll. IT IS PORK ROLL. Why? Because the company is Taylor Ham..the item is Pork Roll. Just like when someone calls a tissue a Kleenex...it's a tissue but the company is Kleenex, therefore the item is NOT a Kleenex. Ugh. People really need to realize this.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:34 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capp16 View Post
Pork roll....my parents came from central and north and they also both refer to it as pork roll. IT IS PORK ROLL. Why? Because the company is Taylor Ham..the item is Pork Roll. Just like when someone calls a tissue a Kleenex...it's a tissue but the company is Kleenex, therefore the item is NOT a Kleenex. Ugh. People really need to realize this.
I will come down to South Jersey and try to run you over with my tank if you continue this blasphemy.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:44 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capp16 View Post
Well, your example of Kleenex is almost right. Because Kleenex introduced tissues to the market, it's name became synonymous with the product, much like Band-aid. You don't expect me to believe that you actually ask for an "adhesive bandage" for your boo boo!

That was the case with Taylor Ham... they introduced the category (and only later had to change the name of the product to "pork roll" because it didn't meet certain standards to be called "ham")

Old 03-18-2014, 12:30 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
So I went to the grocery store the other day and decided to buy a package of the Taylor stuff...which is labeled Taylor Pork Roll. One thing I did notice, it's $1.00 more then Case's. So I guess I'll see if it's worth it

I honestly just usually grab Cases or Trenton (probably because it is cheaper). Either way, they are all pork roll. Great stuff, either on a sandwich with egg, or on a burger (otherwise known as the Trenton burger)...
how much does pork roll cost? im planning on buying some thanks to this thread. even if I don't like it, im pretty sure my wife will. she is Puerto rican and Puerto Ricans love ham.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:36 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,343,911 times
OK, here's another wrinkle in the whole Taylor Ham/Pork roll thing:

JEFF EDELSTEIN: If you call pork roll ‘Taylor ham,’ you’re twice wrong, according to the USDA (and me)

(quoted from this article)

Quote:
When those of you living in north Jersey order a “Taylor ham, egg and cheese,†chances are the “Taylor ham†you’re eating is ...

Case pork roll.
From diners to delis, supermarket shelves to WaWa, if it’s pork roll and it doesn’t say “Taylor,†it’s almost certainly Case.

And while this may seem like it should be a state secret, it’s actually the exact opposite: It says so right on the packaging.

There’s a little circle on any processed meat, egg, or poultry product that says, “U.S. inspected and passed by Department of Agriculture. EST. XXX.â€

And the “XXX†will be a number that tells you who made what. Simply go to the USDA website (or, easier, Google “USDA ESTâ€), plug in the number, and you’ll find out which company makes which product. Taylor’s EST number is 256. Case is 185.

In short: Case-brand pork roll is marketed under a handful of different names, but it’s all Case. Again, to be clear: Order a Taylor ham, egg and cheese in Clifton, you’re probably getting Case pork roll unless you see the red and white of Taylor. This is not meant — at all — as a swipe against Taylor. (Truth be told, my household is split, my wife being a Case gal with me more on the Taylor side.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:55 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
how much does pork roll cost? im planning on buying some thanks to this thread. even if I don't like it, im pretty sure my wife will. she is Puerto rican and Puerto Ricans love ham.
I get it sliced at the deli and it's about $7/lb.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:04 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I get it sliced at the deli and it's about $7/lb.
whoa that's millionaire meat!

Old 03-18-2014, 01:13 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
whoa that's millionaire meat!

They also sell it packed and sliced in different sizes, including 4 or 8 slices if you just want to try it.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:28 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
They also sell it packed and sliced in different sizes, including 4 or 8 slices if you just want to try it.
too thick - blech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey