Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 12:05 AM

8 posts, read 40,566 times

Advertisements

Hey all. Long time lurker, finally registered 'cause after researching for some months, I'm ready to ask questions, and the timing is finally right for us to start actually house hunting.

My husband and I (mid 30s) are looking to buy our first home and finally stop renting. We have no kids, but have been trying for some time, so if a medical miracle does happen, we might need to care about public elementary schools. We don't plan on staying wherever we move to for longer than 10 years, since we assume we'll want to upsize to a bigger place eventually.

Our budget is < $500k for a 2-3BR, assuming $12k/yr taxes. We're willing to look at condos/co-ops/townhomes as well as single family houses.

My husband is very concerned about keeping a relatively short commute of ~40 minutes to midtown, which led me to land on a list of towns that I've read up on.

I found very little recent info about the towns of Hasbrouck Heights, Wood-Ridge, Carlstadt, and Lyndhurst, which are all options on the train lines that would be a quick ride to NY Penn Station including transfer at Secaucus. We will obviously also look at Rutherford which is mentioned a lot here, but these neighboring towns just seem to get passed over and no one talks about them.

Can anyone help give a bit more general info on these towns? I understand they are more "blue collar working-class", which we are fine with.

And are there certain areas to avoid, such as near Passaic or right next to Teterboro airport perhaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 06:35 AM

513 posts, read 1,167,601 times
Don't forget East Rutherford. My girlfriend lives there in a lovely townhome....loves it.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:32 AM

103 posts, read 395,162 times
Rutherford has a good school system. I believe they are blue ribbon at the elementary level. I would avoid Lyndhurst. There schools are not great. We are staying with my mom who lives in Lyndhurst until we sell our house in south Jersey. I can not wait to move and get my kids out of the schools.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:56 PM

76 posts, read 174,318 times
I've lived near both areas. I'd say Hasbrouck Heights and Wood Ridge is a classier area than Lyndhurst. Wood Ridge is a bit quieter than Hasbrouck Heights. Bus to New York is pretty good. 163/164 goes from BLVD to Midtown frequently and is your best bet.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:58 PM

Also, 163 and 164 will often be standing room only when you get to Carlstadt and East Rutherford in morning. You usually get a seat in Hasbrouck Heights and Wood Ridge.

One drawback are the summer tourists that get on bus by hotels in Meadowlands.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:20 PM

532 posts, read 1,465,441 times
In Bergen County north of Hackensack is nicer.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:46 AM

3 posts, read 27,582 times
I am also interested in knowing more on these towns that have less information on. How the area is, why woodridge is quieter than hasbrouck heights and what differences, pros and cons they have with Rutherford since that is the obvious choice when you want a good commute but also live in a suburban area. I to am looking for a nice area to move to with a family of middle schoolers and high schoolers but don't know the differences.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:08 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,300 times
Check out the airplane noise from Teterboro. Lived in E. Rutherford 10 yrs ago and it's a pretty busy airport. The further away from 17 you are the better.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flonj63 View Post
I am also interested in knowing more on these towns that have less information on. How the area is, why woodridge is quieter than hasbrouck heights and what differences, pros and cons they have with Rutherford since that is the obvious choice when you want a good commute but also live in a suburban area. I to am looking for a nice area to move to with a family of middle schoolers and high schoolers but don't know the differences.
Hasbrouck Heights has a larger commercial area and is closer to Hackensack. Therefore, I noticed it has more vehicle and foot traffic in Hasbrocuk Heights than Wood Ridge.

Rutherford population is a bit more educated and white collar than other two towns. Rutherford schools are also better.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:10 PM

3 posts, read 27,582 times
Does Hasbrouck heights have a better downtown than that of woodridge? Does woodridge even have a downtown because I remember passing there and I didn't see a soul; too desolate of a place? In comparing that town feeling people look for I feel Rutherford goes in first then hasbrouck heights than woodridge. Please correct me if I am wrong. Also since woodridge has a train service I am thinking it has better commuting to NYC than HH is that right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey