Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 06:21 PM

3 posts, read 12,358 times

Advertisements

I have read a lot of long threads on East Orange, Elizabeth and Newark on this forum. I get it...it's bad. Very bad.
My question is HOW bad? I currently live in a "bad" neighborhood in Brooklyn. Is it anything similar? Is it like the South Bronx? East New York? I just want to get an accurate picture. I have to leave Brooklyn since I can no longer afford it and my landlord wants me out, even in the worst neighborhoods current rents on studio/1 bedrooms are over $1000/ month. Even if I wanted to I couldn't stay since no one would rent me an apt with my current low-income salary. I have enough to possibly buy a small condo in cash in East Orange. Even with taxes, monthly HOA fees and bills I would be coming out ahead.
If I just mind my business and do not go out after dark should I be OK? or am I likely to get hit by stray bullets on my way home from work?

(If relevant I am black,f, 23)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 07:01 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,234,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yufb View Post
I have read a lot of long threads on East Orange, Elizabeth and Newark on this forum. I get it...it's bad. Very bad.
My question is HOW bad? I currently live in a "bad" neighborhood in Brooklyn. Is it anything similar? Is it like the South Bronx? East New York? I just want to get an accurate picture. I have to leave Brooklyn since I can no longer afford it and my landlord wants me out, even in the worst neighborhoods current rents on studio/1 bedrooms are over $1000/ month. Even if I wanted to I couldn't stay since no one would rent me an apt with my current low-income salary. I have enough to possibly buy a small condo in cash in East Orange. Even with taxes, monthly HOA fees and bills I would be coming out ahead.
If I just mind my business and do not go out after dark should I be OK? or am I likely to get hit by stray bullets on my way home from work?

(If relevant I am black,f, 23)
What is your 'bad' neighborhood in Brooklyn that'll give people better idea for comparison. Are you talking like East NY bad?

Old 03-16-2014, 07:06 PM

Flatbush/ East Flatbush. I've also lived in Queensbridge near the projects.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:10 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,216,704 times
Quote:
Flatbush/ East Flatbush. I've also lived in Queensbridge near the projects.
East Orange is worse than the area near the Queensbridge projects, though not so bad as the projects themselves. Flatbush/East Flatbush is pretty broad--west of Flatbush Ave, East Orange is definitely worse, but east of Flatbush Avenue it's not so different.

East Orange is definitely as bad as the worst neighborhoods in NYC, like ENY and Brownsville, though there's going to be variation in East Orange as there is in any neighborhood. The fringe northwestern and southwestern edges of East Orange are much better/safer than the areas near the train stations.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:34 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,651,072 times
Look into Orange , Bloomfield , and the lower part of West Orange. They are the best areas but they are way better then east orange.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:37 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,080,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Look into Orange , Bloomfield , and the lower part of West Orange. They are the best areas but they are way better then east orange.
The crime rate in Orange is double that of East Orange.

East Orange = 323.8
Orange = 614.9

Old 03-17-2014, 11:50 AM

I'm looking near Prospect St and Park Ave . It says lower crime than average for the neighborhood but I don't know how realiable that is.

@ Brownstone NY
I'm near Brooklyn college.
I would be requiring the train station for transportation to work :-(

Old 03-17-2014, 12:49 PM

99 posts, read 284,411 times
I understand. Bad is subjective. Brooklyn girl here who grew up in the 80's. What people on these threads see as bad is sometimes almost comical to me but then again, I didn't grow up in the suburbs.

The towns you noted have pockets to avoid and areas that are lovely. Its all knowing your areas and taking others opinions with a grain of salt. I'll take the three you mentioned in your original post - East Orange, Elizabeth and Newark.

East Orange
You are going to find the cheapest apartments here because its not the best of areas in the grand scheme of things because it borders some very HOT communities. That being said, the closer you are to Seton Hall and South Orange the better. So you can find a nice enough place just south of interstate 280 and west of the parkway.

Newark
There are parts of Newark that are just the pits but others that are just fine to live in. Newark is an oddly transitional city. It has changed a great deal in the last 10+ years I have lived in New Jersey. And it's huge. Its independent neighborhoods have their own characters. I'd recommend living in Vailsburg (this guy lives there and had a pretty interesting blog about the town and Newark as a whole.) Another option is Newark downtown or the Ironbound. Though this area is in an odd transitional phase where rental costs seem to be escalating. I'd probably prefer Vailsburg.

Elizabeth
I always find myself being the Elizabeth defender, but then again I have the most experience with this town as I live in the town bordering it. The nicest area of Elizabeth, borders Union. Elmora. Extremely convenient it is the safest part of Elizabeth with the north western corner (elmora hills) being very family centric. There's also North Elizabeth, which borders Hillside and Newark. This has a large collection of multi families and some apartment buildings on North Avenue. This area has a great ethnic and socio-economical diversity and is a reliable area with decent rental costs. There's also Peterstown. It is what used to be a VERY italian neighborthood though most of them have moved away (still own the homes and rent) The area is very hispanic now but this very small neighborhood is decent enough to live in if you stay to he west of Elizabeth Avenue (known as the market) which has a lot of little stores, a farmers market in warm weather and several activities throughout the year.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:47 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,326,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
The crime rate in Orange is double that of East Orange.

East Orange = 323.8
Orange = 614.9
doesnt nearly all of the crime in orange happen in a highly concentrated area though? something to consider.

i'm not sure i would feel that a young black women would have much issue in east orange, given the type of crime that occurs. obviously, i'd be concerned if there were a high rate of rape or assaults on women, but most of the crime is what you would expect in a city like east orange. gun crime is between individuals whom know each other. there's always the threat of break-ins, so i would be concerned about security if i was buying. but it's important to look at the type of crime and where it happens.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:00 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,326,972 times
Quote:
I'm looking near Prospect St and Park Ave . It says lower crime than average for the neighborhood but I don't know how realiable that is.

@ Brownstone NY
I'm near Brooklyn college.
I would be requiring the train station for transportation to work :-(
call the local police precinct and chat with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey