U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 09:35 AM

20 posts, read 27,661 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

I grew up in Newark but haven't really gone through the experience of looking for a place to rent here.. ever. After 8 years away from the area, I only have a general idea of which areas are safe.
I go to school and work downtown, but the rent there is a bit out of my range and for the apartment complexes in my range, I hear terrible things like roaches, bed bugs, bad management.

Anyone have any tips/ideas? I'm currently keeping an eye out for a room in South Orange, Society Hill and the Ironbound for under 800. I would even go up to 850 for a studio but I'd prefer a nice place with roommates. The problem is I'm not sure the best place to look and so far, the pickings are slim. I'm hoping to expand my search to other neighborhoods within Newark and close to Newark.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 09:47 AM

884 posts, read 1,472,890 times
I would check South Orange and see if any Seton Hall students would be available to room with you. You can take the bus or the train from South Orange to downtown. I also know people who rent even small 1-beds in the Ironbound for under 1000, so they're out there, just hard to find. You might also try Bloomfield, not a super-nice area, but not too dangerous, affordable, and easy transit to Newark.

The problem with downtown Newark is there are a few nice new buildings out of your price range, and a bunch of older buildings with the problems you mentioned above. And outside of downtown or the Ironbound you're looking at some bad areas like South Ward and neighborhoods bordering Irvington.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:48 AM

Is Harrison a good option?

Old 03-19-2014, 10:55 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,360,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.phillips View Post
Yes, it is safer than Newark as a whole. I would say it's a step up from the Ironbound (where I used to live). You might also consider Kearny and N Arlington.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:06 AM

884 posts, read 1,472,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.phillips View Post
Yea Harrison is a fine option, though the nice places close to the PATH will be out of your price range. But there are a lot of small homes in Harrison that you might find a rental in.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:40 AM

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey