Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 02:05 PM

6 posts, read 7,152 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon City Data,

Im currently living in a 1 bedroom basement apartment in Bergenfield, Bergen County. The apartment is half under ground and half above. The apartment has an accessory door on the side of the house that is the only access point into and out of the apartment. Their is no attachment to the top floor level. Their is also a bedroom, full kitchen, and full bath. I am curious whether or not the apartment is legal. If anyone has any information regarding the subject please do share. Thank you for all of your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 02:42 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,983,050 times
Do the windows provide a second means of exit in an emergency? Or are they the typical tiny narrow basement windows?

Old 01-05-2015, 08:49 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,854,577 times
The fire department should be able to tell you if the apartment (& specifically the bedroom) meets the legal standard of egress in case of fire.

A bedroom must meet higher fire safety standards than other rooms.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:19 PM

The apartment windows are full size windows. The bottom of the windows meet the outer ground. Thank you for the information regarding the fire department, I will contact them for their opinion.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:03 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,868 times
The apartment may be safe and meet fire code in terms of emergency egress but may be illegal if it's not in an area zoned for multi-family housing. If that is the case and code enforcement finds out, you will have to move, although you'll get a nice lump of money from your landlord. Is that what you want to happen?

Old 01-06-2015, 05:12 AM

No not at all actually. My landlord and I have a decent relationship were there have been no major issues with each other. I could really care less about taking money from his pockets. But I am curious to the legitimate legality of the apartment.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:15 AM

267 posts, read 352,302 times
if your not having issues and don't want to jeopardize the place maybe don't poke the hornets nest.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:38 AM

225 posts, read 721,435 times
You may have a decent relationship now, but I can guarantee you, you won't if you end up bringing the town's attention to a (potential) illegal apartment. I agree w mcip, if there are no issues, why start ones?

Old 01-06-2015, 09:37 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHomebody View Post
You may have a decent relationship now, but I can guarantee you, you won't if you end up bringing the town's attention to a (potential) illegal apartment. I agree w mcip, if there are no issues, why start ones?
yeah. usually people ask the initial question after they have rented the apartment, have a problem with the landlord and then all the sudden they are concerned with the legality of the apartment. its a way of getting back at the landlord when angered by something. the person was clearly not bothered by the legality of the apartment in the beginning, thats why they rented it.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:06 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,757,400 times
I will also jump on the "Leave well enough alone" bandwagon. If you are not having problems, if you do not want to move, if you dont want to get your landlord in trouble, then don't cause any undue trouble for yourself.

If you are REALLY worried about it in case you will be forced to move at some point in the future, just start saving as much money as you can to cover moving expenses, just in case. This way you are prepared and will hopefully not have to endure any immense hardship. If it ends up that you do not have to move, you have simply built up your savings a bit more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey