Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 10:28 AM

5 posts, read 14,505 times

Advertisements

Ok so i am from nys and lived there all my life moved to NJ a few years ago and since i lived right outside nyc i was always using public transport...thus my ny license was only used to get into a bar and or buy wine at the wine store.

Then i lost my ny license whilst moving and just got a NJ photo id instead of a license b/c at the time i didn't need to drive.

Now i have a two year old ive moved to the burbs and my fiance and i have a car, so i requested my drivers abstract from ny and went to transfer my license to NJ and found out my license had expired in NY and they refuse to use my abstract to issue a NJ license since its expired though valid [meaning i still have time to renew my NY license if i wanted to].

The woman at the nj dmv suggested i renew my NY license but since ive lost it i can't renew it online b/c im missing the document number that can only be found on your actual id and not on the abstract.

So my question is is there a loophole to renewing it in NY so i can transfer to NJ? Can i renew my NY licnese while living in NJ? i dont' even want ot renew but only to transfer it to NJ...

The reason i would go to such lengths is the alternative is going through the glacial drawn out process of getting a permit then get a probationary license and then after a year getting my license at 30 yrs old i would really rather not be treated like a 16 yr old who can't be trusted to drive alone...nj is the only state ive ever heard of that would require that for an ADULT DRIVER even ny state isn't that bad when you get your initial license at 16 YRS OLD!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 11:17 AM

324 posts, read 571,306 times
I think this is more of a NY question, but if for some reason you are unable to transfer, I don't think you'd need to get a permit, just a probationary license for a year.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:07 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,941,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writetanyaj View Post
Ok so i am from nys and lived there all my life moved to NJ a few years ago and since i lived right outside nyc i was always using public transport...thus my ny license was only used to get into a bar and or buy wine at the wine store.

Then i lost my ny license whilst moving and just got a NJ photo id instead of a license b/c at the time i didn't need to drive.

Now i have a two year old ive moved to the burbs and my fiance and i have a car, so i requested my drivers abstract from ny and went to transfer my license to NJ and found out my license had expired in NY and they refuse to use my abstract to issue a NJ license since its expired though valid [meaning i still have time to renew my NY license if i wanted to].

The woman at the nj dmv suggested i renew my NY license but since ive lost it i can't renew it online b/c im missing the document number that can only be found on your actual id and not on the abstract.

So my question is is there a loophole to renewing it in NY so i can transfer to NJ? Can i renew my NY licnese while living in NJ? i dont' even want ot renew but only to transfer it to NJ...

The reason i would go to such lengths is the alternative is going through the glacial drawn out process of getting a permit then get a probationary license and then after a year getting my license at 30 yrs old i would really rather not be treated like a 16 yr old who can't be trusted to drive alone...nj is the only state ive ever heard of that would require that for an ADULT DRIVER even ny state isn't that bad when you get your initial license at 16 YRS OLD!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
OK, so you probably can't resolve it online. I think if you call NY, they should be able to give guidance on how to replace/renew your license with them.

And I'm not sure what the "document number" is - is that the license number? In NJ, you'd have that on your registration too, but I guess that doesn't help you. (personally, I have copies of many of my key documents in case I lose them)

Old 04-03-2014, 02:49 PM

5 posts, read 14,505 times
Hey thank you all for replying that is super nice to try and help me figure out this mess.
I wanted to let you all know what happened after all the stress i went through worrying i waited til i had a day where my fiance could drive me to the dmv [i live in west orange now so the place to go closest that does drivers tests is Newark lets all pause to cringe at the thought] but instead him and i chose wayne trying to avoid newark.
I went in was told to get a probationary license and set up a drivers test by the reception lady i go up to the line hand all my stuff over and mention this to woman who greeted me and she ushers me to the line where you go for your license and what do you knwo the manager there accepted my drivers abstract for my EXPIRED NY license as i still had til june before it was ineligble for renewal in NY state///

I attribute this all to the smart choice of avoiding newark and going to wayne.

I am a happy NJ drivers license holder who will mind my p's and q's from now on and be renewing ON TIME everytime!

Lol i feel like ive been freed from prison.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:53 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,574,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writetanyaj View Post
Hey thank you all for replying that is super nice to try and help me figure out this mess.
I wanted to let you all know what happened after all the stress i went through worrying i waited til i had a day where my fiance could drive me to the dmv [i live in west orange now so the place to go closest that does drivers tests is Newark lets all pause to cringe at the thought] but instead him and i chose wayne trying to avoid newark.
I went in was told to get a probationary license and set up a drivers test by the reception lady i go up to the line hand all my stuff over and mention this to woman who greeted me and she ushers me to the line where you go for your license and what do you knwo the manager there accepted my drivers abstract for my EXPIRED NY license as i still had til june before it was ineligble for renewal in NY state///

I attribute this all to the smart choice of avoiding newark and going to wayne.

I am a happy NJ drivers license holder who will mind my p's and q's from now on and be renewing ON TIME everytime!

Lol i feel like ive been freed from prison.
Why do you think the the outcome would have been different if you went to Newark?

Old 04-03-2014, 05:31 PM

87,995 posts, read 83,805,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
OK, so you probably can't resolve it online. I think if you call NY, they should be able to give guidance on how to replace/renew your license with them.

And I'm not sure what the "document number" is - is that the license number? In NJ, you'd have that on your registration too, but I guess that doesn't help you. (personally, I have copies of many of my key documents in case I lose them)
Always a good idea, but don't you have your license number memorized?

Old 04-03-2014, 05:49 PM

19,037 posts, read 25,112,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Always a good idea, but don't you have your license number memorized?
Over the years, I have been both amazed and appalled at the number of people who don't have their license plate number memorized. However, in this case, I think that the "license number" being referred to is the long alphanumeric serial number on the person's driver's license.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:12 PM

87,995 posts, read 83,805,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Over the years, I have been both amazed and appalled at the number of people who don't have their license plate number memorized. However, in this case, I think that the "license number" being referred to is the long alphanumeric serial number on the person's driver's license.

No, the driver's license number is what I meant. The 15-digit thing that starts with the first letter of your last name and has your birth month and last two digits of your birth year in it. My first five changed when I was married and reverted back to the original when I divorced and took my real name back. I can understand the OP not remembering, since she didn't have it long, but most people memorize it after having to fill out a few forms that require it, no?

Now not knowing your license plate, that's worse!

Old 04-03-2014, 08:43 PM

400 posts, read 789,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, the driver's license number is what I meant. The 15-digit thing that starts with the first letter of your last name and has your birth month and last two digits of your birth year in it. My first five changed when I was married and reverted back to the original when I divorced and took my real name back. I can understand the OP not remembering, since she didn't have it long, but most people memorize it after having to fill out a few forms that require it, no?

Now not knowing your license plate, that's worse!
Ha.

I used to know everybody's license plate. (And I mean EVERYBODY'S). Now, with mommy brain and the fact that I work from home, I hardly remember my own! As for my license number, I remember the first five digits and the last five. Never the ones in between =/ My husband, like you, knows all of it by heart. You guys are such nerds

Old 04-03-2014, 11:53 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,497,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Why do you think the the outcome would have been different if you went to Newark?
I know someone who recently went to a different DMV agency, Springfield actually, with an out of state title and the first receptionist looked everything over and told her "You can't do this. the dealer from CT can't sign this car over twice, and so on. They have a place on CT titles where one dealer can assign the car to another. Everything looked good to us. Anyway she told us we would have to get a new title from the dealer in CT and I knew that was just about impossible torture and looong waits, driving, mailing etc.

We just took the same paperwork to another DMV, Rahway and it went right through.

Shouldn't be that way but sometimes those people get the "Jersey ATTITUDE" as we are sometimes accused of
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey