Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 08:33 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times

Advertisements

The zip code you put on your mail has little to do with where you actually live in NJ. Now, in northeast NJ, it usually corresponds. But in reality, all that address is, is the post office that your mail is routed through, and that delivers your mail. In rural NJ, it almost never corresponds.

Take 08088, Vincentown. Vincentown itself is a small, one street boro in a huge zip code that encompasses Shamong, Tabernacle, Woodland, Leisuretowne, parts of Medford Lakes. Its a huge swath of rural NJ that stretches from Mount Holly to Hammonton: http://goo.gl/maps/kXPfz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 10:09 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
In my town you can have 1 of 7 different towns as your mailing address.
Wall Township? (don't answer! )
When Seinfeld asked Newman what ZIP Codes meant, he answered, "Absolutely nothing!"
This is true, as post offices and sorting centers existed prior to the introduction of postal codes. All ZIP codes did, was add numbers to the existing post offices. Despite ZIP reportedly being an acronym for 'Zone Improvement Plan', the addition of numbers to addresses changed nothing. Every existing post office, whether a box-only service in Podunk, or the GPO in NYC, was given a distinct number. Every mailman already knew all the post offices alphabetically. The +4 further defines carrier routes & subroutes, but did not change them either. Perhaps the only advantage, was that sorting mail by number is easier than trying to decipher the scribbled post office name or abbreviation.
BTW, IIRC, Middletown, NJ has a dozen different post office names! 07748 is Middletown proper, but there are more than 10 other post offices. Some were section names, such as Belford and Lincroft, while others bleed over from neighboring towns, such as Atlantic Highlands & Red Bank.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:21 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,275 times
Quote:
My SIL and I both have mailing addresses in a different town AND COUNTY. It's not uncommon. In my town you can have 1 of 7 different towns as your mailing address. BigJake has the reasoning.
My town, had that same situation (zip code is for a different town and county. 08812 is listed as Dunellen, Middlesex Co.....but also is the zip for Green Brook, Somerset Co).

An unexpected side effect is that you will never serve county/state jury duty because their mailing lists are apparently by zip. So you get ones with an incorrect county and town listed, check the incorrect information box, and that's it.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:58 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
My town, had that same situation (zip code is for a different town and county. 08812 is listed as Dunellen, Middlesex Co.....but also is the zip for Green Brook, Somerset Co).

An unexpected side effect is that you will never serve county/state jury duty because their mailing lists are apparently by zip. So you get ones with an incorrect county and town listed, check the incorrect information box, and that's it.
This happened to me - I got called for the county where my ZIP is, sent it back saying I don't live there, and that was that. I always thought it went by voting records.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Wall Township? (don't answer! )
When Seinfeld asked Newman what ZIP Codes meant, he answered, "Absolutely nothing!"
This is true, as post offices and sorting centers existed prior to the introduction of postal codes. All ZIP codes did, was add numbers to the existing post offices. Despite ZIP reportedly being an acronym for 'Zone Improvement Plan', the addition of numbers to addresses changed nothing. Every existing post office, whether a box-only service in Podunk, or the GPO in NYC, was given a distinct number. Every mailman already knew all the post offices alphabetically. The +4 further defines carrier routes & subroutes, but did not change them either. Perhaps the only advantage, was that sorting mail by number is easier than trying to decipher the scribbled post office name or abbreviation.
BTW, IIRC, Middletown, NJ has a dozen different post office names! 07748 is Middletown proper, but there are more than 10 other post offices. Some were section names, such as Belford and Lincroft, while others bleed over from neighboring towns, such as Atlantic Highlands & Red Bank.
No, I'm in Morris County And I lied - it's 6 ZIPs, not 7 (unless I'm missing one). And those 6 ZIPs span 3 counties (Morris, Hunterdon, Warren). It's crazy and confuses new residents.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:42 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,717 times
A lot of folks have been known to buy in the cheaper community that shares a zip with a more prestigious one.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
A lot of folks have been known to buy in the cheaper community that shares a zip with a more prestigious one.
Several towns share a Princeton mailing address and believe me, those who have it make it known.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:44 PM

324 posts, read 575,324 times
For mail, I don't think it even matters what you put for town. They look at zip code and probably only use the town if the zip code is illegible or missing.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:06 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,524 times
Welcome to Clinton Township. Yes, the post office where your mail comes to, then delivers your mail is Lebanon, therefore your mail should go there. It is your mailing address, however the physical address is Clinton Township. 08833

Old 03-21-2014, 07:10 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Several towns share a Princeton mailing address and believe me, those who have it make it known.
I have a 3 friends who are in that situation: Where do you live? Princeton. No you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey