Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 08:02 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
well, its obvious you are one of those types who have no sense of reason in them and will defend an unpopular point to exhaustion. i get it, according to you, everything in the world will kill us and is bad for us. don't kill animals, don't use windex, things like that, yet you still proceed to defend smoking in public for some reason. if you can't understand the concept of clean air space than maybe you have inhaled too much of something other than cigerette smoke
Honey, I hate to tell you, but fact is fact, and all the things I've listed here are much worse for you them smelling cigerette smoke....research it, and by the way, you may just get cancer someday, but it won't be from 2nd hand smoke...

I've had experience with researching and working with all these things here....so it's not just defending something that isn't true. I'm making a point...which you cannot dispute, so you have nothing else to say other then what you have here....

I understand the concept of clean air, but someone smoking in public isn't going to hurt you, or cause you cancer, or disrupt your life style....there are less people who smoke today then ever before in history....but you would rather, have it all, why? Because it's the only thing you know how to fight....that you can win, the other stuff, isn't even the slightest bit alarming, b/c you have no idea that they even exisited, nor do you know how to control it...but this, this you can control....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Wow, you need to take a (smoke free) breath. brady was spot on in comparisons to other things that are banned in public parks, like drinking. And 100% percent correct that if you are truly concerned about costs to the taxpayers, you'd just look to ban smoking completely.

And as for your dozen tangents about other things that cause cancer... fine, go focus on those, but has nothing to do with this proposed ban.
sorry, doesn't cut it....I'm for the rights of people....smoke free started how many years ago, and many of us said, they won't stop until they take it all away, b/c they are a bunch of control freaks....oh yes, and here we are today, still trying to outlaw it....
Why do you think they don't outlaw drinking? Like they did in prohibition?

And yes, I truly am concerned for the taxpayers money, and as I said, there are a whole lot of other more important issues out there to focus on then banning smoking....yes, you probably will in your life time, but I betcha even if you do, people will still die of cancers, b/c of all the things I've listed here and more

I don't care about reaching you, you will never allow yourself to be reached or educated...however, hopefully people will read my posts and say, Oh, yeah, that's true, that could be true....

and start thinking for themselves instead of thinking every guy who walks down the street with a cigerette is killing them.

as much as you fight for your rights, I'll not only fight for mine, but fight to educate people in the midst of all this garbage.

Oh and talk about wanting it all, there are tons of people out there who are trying to quit, by smoking electric cigerettes, and now your trying to ban them...talk about control freaks, you've actually got people trying so hard to quit, with electronic cigs, and what are you doing, by dictating to people what they can and cannot do, only makes your fight harder and shows how unintelligent you are.

Dictate all you want, but you only cause yourself more heartache...just like people who call others racists, you keep it alive by trying to control the lives of others.....

Old 03-21-2014, 08:08 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Where did you come up with 80% ? I agree and disagree with this , since i was once a smoker and i am not one now so i have experience on what it feels like. I dont like second hand smoke but its not enough for me to want to ban it from people smoking in the public. As mentioned before, the whole ban on smoking in a rest or bar i think was a good choice , but being in public i dont think you should control someones smoking habit.

I personally wouldnt go this far to ban it from the public but thats just me , we all have our own opinions.

If they really want to do something about the quality of our health they need to clean up the stench in NJ and all the nasty sewage and waste issues. All the areas of illegal dumped toxins , liter all over the sides of the roads, and the passaic river lol .
CDC - Fact Sheet - Adult Cigarette Smoking in the United States - Smoking & Tobacco Use

that's not where i got the # though. years ago, when NJ was debating the smoking ban in bars and restaurants, it was often cited that less than 20% of NJ residents were smokers.

Listen: i 100% understand why people think this is a silly law. As you said, you don't like it, but it's not enough for you to want to ban it from people smoking in public. well, this ban isn't a ban on public smoking. it's a ban on smoking in places of recreating like beaches, and parks. it doesn't control one's smoking habit, as you can still smoke while walking down the street, driving around town, walking around your block, etc.

I happen to really really like this law because, as I commented on something else, I'll actually consider going to NJ beaches now. My family has always travelled to a beach in DE where smoking is not allowed. Maybe now, especially for the occasional day trip or weekend trip, I'll support NJ beaches more. I've been to a few NJ beaches, and there's not a ton of smokers, but enough to where I can smell it, and I'm not a fan of that. It's just not something I like to smell/breath while at the beach, at the park, skiing, etc.

I'd love to see NJ clean up the toxic waste sites in the state as well as improve the sewage and waste issues. The passaic river is a mess. I do a garbage cleanup near my house by the 280 on ramp that gets horrendous every winter. It's just something little, but if more people did cleanups, it would eliminate a lot of the crap that is littered around the state. I know it's a densely populated state, but the amount of litter has always amazed me.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:13 AM

800 posts, read 1,297,003 times
like mentioned before, you have taken a initial post about smoking and turned it into a soapbox for you to bring up other no related points to that which i have stated. honestly, i know i could get cancer from a variety of things, my father passed away when i was 9 and was a 3 pack a day smoker most of his life. he ultimately died of colon cancer but had cancer in other areas which i like to think if he had never smoked, might be here today. that is not my reason i would want smoking banned though in parks, it is 100% due to rather than ask a smoker to move, which i have dont in parks and results in them going off on a tyrants about rights and yadayada, similar to you, i end up moving myself do somewhere with cleaner air. do you see how that is inconvenient? could the smoker who is going against the norm just understand THEY are the one ruining what would be a nice afternoon/night/whatever for non-smokers? of course not, they act like you. you're the problem.

you will probably reply to this in similar fashion as above, but i wish you well, and i hope NJ bans smoking in public places. i can deal with the rest of the things killing me slowly...

Old 03-21-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I don't like the smell either, but it isn't going to hurt you, your all just a bunch of paranoid people who are unable to think...
it certainly isn't going to hurt you....yeah, I don't like the smell either, but your not going to smell like cigerettes from some guy smoking in the park, and if that guy wants to smell like he does, that's ok, it's his right and you don't own the air, and please, give me a break about invading your clean air space...are you people on drugs or what?

My mother had a breathing issue, that I can understand, and those kind of people usually don't complain, it's people like you who think you can control others to think and feel like you do, simply b/c you don't like something, well fine, it's ok to not like something but not ok to make up stupid dumb examples as this....clean air space???? give me a break, I don't see you complaining about clean air space when someone farts....same thing and much more of that going on...did you know that a fart is made up of gases far more detramental to the air?
i'm not paranoid at all. i don't want to breath it in. i don't want to smell it. i'd much rather see a 400 lb couple having sex on the bench while my kids play in front of them than an individual smoke a cigarette. if you disagree with me, that's fine. but there's no reason to accuse people who think as i do as being paranoid and unable to think.

and believe it or not, i have been out in public places and the smell of smoke has stayed on me. it's not like it was when you went to a bar or restaurant, but it can stay with you depending where the smoker was and how long you were there.

you're right, i don't own the air. and neither does he. thanks. good point!

Old 03-21-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Like I said, my goodness, I smell smoke from that guy over there, what, 25, or 50 feet away? OMG, for what a few seconds, or 1 or 2 minutes....get a life. Are you kidding me....I mean just listen to yourself....how stupid you sound....no matter what you say, I get your point and have been for years now, and it is absoultely controlling and ignorant, to expect people to fall down at your feet b/c you don't like it.

hey, I don't like it when people drive slowly and sit at the lights and text but hey, it's a free world...I don't like it when people sit on the beach and swear the whole time they are there at their kid or wife....and I hate it when people sit and brag about all the money they have, and think they are better then anyone else, simply b/c they don't like smokers....well, Penga, get used to it, b/c your not always going to get your way....you may win this one, but somewhere along the line, someday, you may be uncomfortable when outside around people. Big whoop.
dude. we get it. it doesn't bother you, so you don't care for the law. i don't expect people to fall down at my feet. did you see the voting results of this legislation?

so you think if a guy sat at a traffic light for 20 minutes and texted, that he should be allowed to? or if someone wants to drive 20mph on I-95...feel free?

neither Penga nor I expect to always get our way. It just so happens that with this piece of legislation, we support the 85-90% of people who voted for it.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:20 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
CDC - Fact Sheet - Adult Cigarette Smoking in the United States - Smoking & Tobacco Use

that's not where i got the # though. years ago, when NJ was debating the smoking ban in bars and restaurants, it was often cited that less than 20% of NJ residents were smokers.

Listen: i 100% understand why people think this is a silly law. As you said, you don't like it, but it's not enough for you to want to ban it from people smoking in public. well, this ban isn't a ban on public smoking. it's a ban on smoking in places of recreating like beaches, and parks. it doesn't control one's smoking habit, as you can still smoke while walking down the street, driving around town, walking around your block, etc.

I happen to really really like this law because, as I commented on something else, I'll actually consider going to NJ beaches now. My family has always travelled to a beach in DE where smoking is not allowed. Maybe now, especially for the occasional day trip or weekend trip, I'll support NJ beaches more. I've been to a few NJ beaches, and there's not a ton of smokers, but enough to where I can smell it, and I'm not a fan of that. It's just not something I like to smell/breath while at the beach, at the park, skiing, etc.

I'd love to see NJ clean up the toxic waste sites in the state as well as improve the sewage and waste issues. The passaic river is a mess. I do a garbage cleanup near my house by the 280 on ramp that gets horrendous every winter. It's just something little, but if more people did cleanups, it would eliminate a lot of the crap that is littered around the state. I know it's a densely populated state, but the amount of litter has always amazed me.
Agreed, one thing i wonder is what ever happened to all the inmates in jail being on the side of the roads cleaning up? I think NJ needs to put our tax dollars to use since we pay for them , i would love to see these inmates cleaning up the roads , parks , bridges, and graffiti.

Yeah i get what your saying about the beach and park , i mean i think its great and i wouldn't mind if it was banned from there but if i was still a smoker i would feel a lil oppressed about the situation. Trying to meet a balance between healthy and personal rights.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Wow, you need to take a (smoke free) breath. brady was spot on in comparisons to other things that are banned in public parks, like drinking. And 100% percent correct that if you are truly concerned about costs to the taxpayers, you'd just look to ban smoking completely.

And as for your dozen tangents about other things that cause cancer... fine, go focus on those, but has nothing to do with this proposed ban.
thanks HalfFull. for the record, i don't support a total ban of smoking. but i wouldn't fight too hard against it either. lol

Old 03-21-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post

That is bull....I frequent the beaches all over the place, and restaurants, and remember the lines at restaurants for the smoking sections...
and this....

<LI class=main>
Quote:
<LI class=main>Cigarette smoking is the leading cause of preventable death in the United States, accounting for more than 480,000 deaths, or one of every five deaths, each year.
Bull, there are less people smoking in the U.S. today then ever before...they don't want you to know what is really causing these cancers....the only cancer you can get from smoking is lung cancer, and guess what, that is what my friend died of....never smoked a day in her life.
Have you ever walked into a nail salon? Talk about smell, but I bet most of the ladies who complain about that terrible smoke in the air from 25 feet away, don't care about all the toxins they are inhaling in a nail salon, or how bout that awful smell from amonia in hair dyes and permenants?
That is what caused my friend lung cancer, she was a beautician.....

Don't you ever wonder how come there are so so so many kids in cancer centers today? I mean really, have you ever walked into a cancer center and asked yourself, why so many kids? Seriously?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielfi...ke-and-cancer/

Old 03-21-2014, 08:30 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Total BS if you ask me, just what the hell do these boneheads we elect actually do to justify their paychecks besides BS nanny laws.
The same person who claims he can smell smoke from 50 yeards away has no issue with fumes from buses and trucks.

No, they will never outright ban smoking as the $$$$$$ they collect in taxes would be too much to give up unless maybe they can tax something else the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: