Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 09:17 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
maybe we aren't discussing blacktop, radon, and pressure treated wood because the thread is about a NJ Smoking Law?

but, for a moment, I'll entertain your straw man argument. do you think no one is working on issues like those? such as, maybe coming up with less harmful treated wood?

New generation of pressure-treated wood is safer for home use | Oregon State University Extension Service | Gardening
It is about NJ smoking, but it is also about why people fear 2nd hand smoke, and 2nd hand smoke doesn't cause cancers but all the other things do, like blacktop and pressure treated lumber, oh, and did you know that in PA they actually put nasty stuff in our drinking water like arsnic, they actually sent around a pamphlet and said, it is a safe amount.

Oh, and now they are making wood out of plastics, so, is it any safer.

My point is, and I'm sorry, not trying to upset anyone, but if people really knew the major harmful things in our everyday lives, maybe they wouldn't complain about the little bit of 2nd hand smoke in their air....you think your air is clean, ? Wow, that is what upsets me, how unintelligent and misinformed most americans are today....honestly, please think about that....

They've actually got people going around trying to ban smoking all together b/c a whole lot of people out there believe cancers are caused by 2nd hand smoke and I saw a commercial on TV that said that...I mean, REALLY? That is what gripes me, we've come this far, we've made so much progress with smokers, that so many are quitting and they still want more...unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 09:22 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Yes , i remember hearing about some politicians wanting to ban E-cigs. Thats what i used to quit smoking , took me about 2 months and i kicked both out of my life.
Not out right ban them just put the same restrictions on them as regular cigarettes and tax them like cigarettes are taxed.

Lawd help us all if all the smokers ever quit because they are going to come a gunning to tax something else to make up for that lost revenue.

Of course there is COMPROMISE..like designating a certain section of a park or beach for smoking...but the radical anti smokers woud have a ***** with that as well

Old 03-21-2014, 09:22 AM

800 posts, read 1,296,279 times
[quote=cremebrulee;33975481]
Quote:

Why, b/c I'm just as passionate about my point of view, b/c maybe I have more facts that you can't answer?

seriously? How long are you inconvenienced b/c of a smoker? What is the time period, out of your life that you are so rudly inconvenienced, b/c of a smoker? I mean think about all the other inconveniences in your life, compared to that of a smoker?

I believe a whole lot of people in this world have stopped smoking b/c they fear being a minority....fear being judged for smoking....

hes tired of you because of your ridiculous point of view based on irrational thought. you ignored his previous post about why non-smokers have to be inconvenienced by smokers but not the other way around

ALSO, are you serious with people stopped smoking because of fear of minority? i mean you are able to put together somewhat coherent sentences so i assume you can process information properly. when is the last time you saw a commercial on tv for marlboro or joe camel? or positive reinforcement that smoking is awesome or good for you. its not the 70s anymore, that **** doesn't fly because there is proven evidence that smoking WILL kill you. people aren't NOT smoking because of being judged, (which they are because its shows you are dumber than the average bear) but because most people have gotten smarter and would like to live longer and healthier. have you seen what is printed on most cig boxes anywhere besides the US? the message is clear, and its smoking will kill you and is bad for you. looking like an asshat is secondary

Old 03-21-2014, 09:25 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Why, b/c I'm just as passionate about my point of view, b/c maybe I have more facts that you can't answer?
no, because you bring up straw man arguments, claiming that because we support this law, we don't care about other things that are harmful.

Quote:
seriously? How long are you inconvenienced b/c of a smoker? What is the time period, out of your life that you are so rudly inconvenienced, b/c of a smoker? I mean think about all the other inconveniences in your life, compared to that of a smoker?
no longer than a smoker would be inconvenienced by going somewhere else to smoke. what difference does it make how long? what other inconveniences?

Quote:
I believe a whole lot of people in this world have stopped smoking b/c they fear being a minority....fear being judged for smoking....
good. whatever reason got them to stop smoking, good for them.

Quote:
Seriouisly, I believe the war on smoking has made most smokers aware, and they even ask if others mind if they smoke, and litereally smoke outside, so you walk past a smoker who is smoking outside, and for those few seconds, your going to raise a fuss about? And I'm saying you in general, not meaning you personally.
most smokers i encounter don't ask. if they did, I may even be more inclined to say "no, i don't mind, i'll just get up and go for a quick walk" and be done with it. but, most people just sit down next to you, light up, and blow "up" as if it's going to stop it from blowing in my face. when i walk past someone on the sidewalk, no i don't make a fuss about it. but this law is specifically addressing places where people go for fresh air and to enjoy the environment: parks and beaches. that's the fuss being made about it, not sidewalks.

Quote:
Your not serious? are you?

once again, your not serious, are you?
well, you answered my question with a question. so...

Old 03-21-2014, 09:27 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,657,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Not out right ban them just put the same restrictions on them as regular cigarettes and tax them like cigarettes are taxed.

Lawd help us all if all the smokers ever quit because they are going to come a gunning to tax something else to make up for that lost revenue.

Of course there is COMPROMISE..like designating a certain section of a park or beach for smoking...but the radical anti smokers woud have a ***** with that as well
Ahh so thats what they were trying to do , not a surprise. Government always looking to tax anything and everything lol .

Smoking in public beaches and parks can go both ways , me personally i dunno what i would say to this.. I mean being a smoker , i know what its like. Now that i have quit , i could also see where other are coming from , and i personally HATE the smell of it , but then again i also dont wanna trump on people either..

There are some ups and downs, just depends what end of the stick you are on

Old 03-21-2014, 09:27 AM

800 posts, read 1,296,279 times
Quote:
It is about NJ smoking, but it is also about why people fear 2nd hand smoke, and 2nd hand smoke doesn't cause cancers but all the other things do, like blacktop and pressure treated lumber, oh, and did you know that in PA they actually put nasty stuff in our drinking water like arsnic, they actually sent around a pamphlet and said, it is a safe amount.

Oh, and now they are making wood out of plastics, so, is it any safer.

My point is, and I'm sorry, not trying to upset anyone, but if people really knew the major harmful things in our everyday lives, maybe they wouldn't complain about the little bit of 2nd hand smoke in their air....you think your air is clean, ? Wow, that is what upsets me, how unintelligent and misinformed most americans are today....honestly, please think about that....

They've actually got people going around trying to ban smoking all together b/c a whole lot of people out there believe cancers are caused by 2nd hand smoke and I saw a commercial on TV that said that...I mean, REALLY? That is what gripes me, we've come this far, we've made so much progress with smokers, that so many are quitting and they still want more...unbelievable.

most people know lots of things are carcinogens, burnt oils and things treated with chemicals and what not, the difference with smoke is..... wait for it, i can CHOOSE not to use or consume these things and if someone sitting next to me wants to, go for it, doesn't bother me. but i CHOOSE to not smoke or breath in 2nd hand smoke but if someone next to me smokes its affects me.

do you see the correlation or will you now bring up something irreverent for a rebuttal?

Old 03-21-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I didn't say or assume that you support these things, I'm trying to explain what is REALLY causing cancers...for most who do not even conceive of it.

It's not a rant, it is though, extremely important that people are aware, of all the carcnigens in the air....did you know certain oils that you use to fry foods when they reach a certain temp, burns and causes carcnigens in the air, expect coconut oil.

People want to complain about a little bit of second hand smoke and ban it all, in public...however, they don't even begin to consider all this other stuff.

So tell me, when you ban all smoking, and cancers still rise then what will you all come up with to ban after that?
no, but you asked why don't i do something constructive, like ban dumping in oceans, etc. what makes you think I'm not supporting politicians who want that as well?

you're stuck on this cancer thing. can't seem to get you off of it. this law isn't about what causes cancer.

why do towns have noise ordinances? why can't i mow my lawn after 7pm? does it cause cancer?

again..."people want to complain about....however, they don't even begin to consider all this other stuff"...says who? you? who are you to say what people who support this law support in other areas?

i don't know. i don't sit and come up with random stuff to ban, just for fun. it's not my life's mission to just ban things.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:31 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
i'm curious....e-cigs have nicotine in them. so, you quite regular cigarettes, but you're still addicted to the nicotine. so what did you "quit"? did they stop using the ecigs also? i'd like to know more about ecigs before we start praising them for their ability to get people off of cigarettes, but if they are safer, so be it. it's funny how you bring up "they want you to believe xyz" but you somehow have a huge trust in the safety of e cigarrettes. different strokes, i guess.
Ecigs have nicotine in them which you gradually reduce until none, the nicotine is the addicting part of cigarettes.
The Ecigs have no tar, the tar being the really bad part of cigarettes.

I know many people who quit using the Ecigs

Old 03-21-2014, 09:32 AM

[quote=cremebrulee;33975645]
Quote:

who enforces it? Where is it illegal? How come so many people do it, can we ban it?

Then do so....I'm wondering how many times you go on the beach and someone is smoking?
I am at the beach all the time, before all these bans, growing up, and on beaches everywhere, and yet, only a few times did I move b/c people were smoking or swearing and arguing or playing music to loud.

You don't have to smell it, you can walk on or move....bottom line....you have your rights, but they to have their rights, you can't win em all...you can't have your way all the time, ya win some ya lose some, that is life....

buy hey, you want it all, a perfect world and to heck with everyone else's rights...
Georgia Cop Issues 800 Tickets To Drivers Texting At Red Lights - Slashdot

how many times i go to the beach and someone is smoking? none, because i go to beaches that don't allow smoking.

and he doesn't have to smoke it. he can walk on, or move. bottom line, i have my rights, and they have theirs. they can't win them all. they can't have their way all the time. they win some, they lose some. that is live.

See how that works for the non smoker too?

Old 03-21-2014, 09:33 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,657,901 times
Quote:
i'm curious....e-cigs have nicotine in them. so, you quite regular cigarettes, but you're still addicted to the nicotine. so what did you "quit"? did they stop using the ecigs also? i'd like to know more about ecigs before we start praising them for their ability to get people off of cigarettes, but if they are safer, so be it. it's funny how you bring up "they want you to believe xyz" but you somehow have a huge trust in the safety of e cigarrettes. different strokes, i guess.

I know that you can get them in different levels of nicotine and even without any. The hard part is kicking the habit of having something in your hand and pulling a drag from it. Doing something overtime for so long is a hard habit to get out of besides the nicotine itself.

Considering all the chemicals a real cig contains compared to the e-cig , i would assume its a healthier alternative . I love the fact that you can get them in different flavors , smoke them where you want, and no smell to them. Now as far as real in depth data of long term use etc , i have no clue about . I quit cold turkey for a few days , jumped on the e-cig , drink lots of water, and worked out like a beast. Then i finally noticed i was getting used to the e-cig not for its nicotine but for the hand and mouth motion. So i kicked the habit of the whole having a cig in my hand and puffing on it motion all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: