Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 10:41 AM

79 posts, read 119,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowlinggoblin View Post
The eastern end of JC Heights is super hipstery
Huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 04:53 PM

6 posts, read 15,928 times
Prowlinggoblin – Thanks for the information! I did some researchover the weekend about the area around Riverview Park and I liked what I read. It appears that if I am able to find an apartment on Ogden Avenue, I would be ashort walk to Central Avenue (which to my understanding is the “business area” ofthe Heights) and I would also be within walking distance to the 9th street light rail station in Hoboken. Do you know how the parking situation is in that area? I’m sure it’s not great, but could it be described as manageable?Also, how is the Riverview Park? Do they have any walking or bike paths availableto the residents in the area? Lastly, what are your thoughts of Journal Square? Are there any apartments/rentals that are with a 5 minute walk from the Path Station?

Almostjay – Yes, it seems like the majority of people areinforming me to stay in Jersey City, so I will try to make that happen. I also share your concern about the Pulaski Skyway shutting down. They already havesigns informing commuters of new traffic patterns for Monday so we’ll see how it all transpires. I think April 12th it will officially close, and as such, April 14th will be an interesting (aka awful) commute.

MoeSizlack – While I have never been to the Heights, I would guess with lower rent along with the proximity to Hoboken, perhaps there could be an influx of hipsters to that area. In fact, my guess would be that along with Journal Square, that area of the Heights might slowly gentrify as well.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:08 PM

79 posts, read 119,598 times
MoeSizlack – While I have never been to the Heights, I would guess with lower rent along with the proximity to Hoboken, perhaps there could be an influx of hipsters to that area. In fact, my guess would be that along with Journal Square, that area of the Heights might slowly gentrify as well.[/quote]

I wouldn't doubt there is a VERY small influx , I just think when folks see a person or two of artistic appearance they cant wait to scream gentrification. On that note, I like the Heights, I live near by and it remains a fairly stable blue collar neighborhood mostly consisting of Hispanic but still a lot more diverse than neighboring Union City.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:29 AM

123 posts, read 236,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoIsWhatISeek View Post
Prowlinggoblin – Thanks for the information! I did some researchover the weekend about the area around Riverview Park and I liked what I read. It appears that if I am able to find an apartment on Ogden Avenue, I would be ashort walk to Central Avenue (which to my understanding is the “business area” ofthe Heights) and I would also be within walking distance to the 9th street light rail station in Hoboken. Do you know how the parking situation is in that area? I’m sure it’s not great, but could it be described as manageable?Also, how is the Riverview Park? Do they have any walking or bike paths availableto the residents in the area? Lastly, what are your thoughts of Journal Square? Are there any apartments/rentals that are with a 5 minute walk from the Path Station?

Almostjay – Yes, it seems like the majority of people areinforming me to stay in Jersey City, so I will try to make that happen. I also share your concern about the Pulaski Skyway shutting down. They already havesigns informing commuters of new traffic patterns for Monday so we’ll see how it all transpires. I think April 12th it will officially close, and as such, April 14th will be an interesting (aka awful) commute.

MoeSizlack – While I have never been to the Heights, I would guess with lower rent along with the proximity to Hoboken, perhaps there could be an influx of hipsters to that area. In fact, my guess would be that along with Journal Square, that area of the Heights might slowly gentrify as well.
Parking is essentially non existent in the Ogden Ave area unless you have a driveway. As a whole, parking is tough in the Heights, but that area of the Heights is especially poor with respect to parking.

Re: JSQ - look at the apartments at either 225 St Pauls Ave or 10 Huron Ave. They are opposite a charter school and a 5 min walk from JSQ. Both are doorman buildings with pool/gym and laundry in the basement.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:13 PM

24 posts, read 34,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoIsWhatISeek View Post
There are 2 access points to the HBLR. I prefer 9th street myself, because it takes you directly to the platform, but they rebuilt the 100 steps recently, so you can get down to the 2nd street light rail really easily as well if you think 9th street is a little far away for you to walk.

Honestly, we've never had a problem finding parking, but we don't try for the residential areas of Ogden, other than right in front of the park, which is not that hard. For the most part we stick to Palisade Avenue.

There are bakeries and some long-term small businesses on Central but it's not a Washington St (Hoboken) or Grove St. (JC) type place at all yet and we don't patronize it that much. This is generally why we take people down to Hoboken, JC or NYC for dinner when they visit us. You will see a LOT of 99 cent stores and abandoned storefronts, on both Central and Palisade Ave.

Heights is drawing a younger, seemingly creative class crowd, especially to the Eastern end. Along with that has come discernible signs of business/social activity, such as a coffee shop, yoga studio, farmer's markets, various park festivals, community association and blahblah but it's not a throbbing hotspot of nightlife by any stretch yet. And in all honesty, I wonder if it ever will be because so many of my neighbors (and myself) are in a different phase of life. That said, Heights has cheap rents, good real estate opportunities, is safe and lets you easily access more lively parts of JC and NYC. Just remember that you will need to Uber or cab it home after late nights in Manhattan.

There's no point debating whether or not The Heights is a dead-end ****hole. One of the privileges of not being a native to this area (Californian) is that I don't have to engage in self-righteous real estate debates. Hilariously, my co-worker lived in Hoboken during the very early 2000s, is currently in Manhattan and looking to move back to Jersey. She STILL believes that pretty much ALL of JC is a war zone and was visibly insulted when I suggested Grove St. Her reaction to Riverview was "whoah, they really cleaned this up" and still thinks she will get shot if she walks past Willow.

I liked Journal Square just fine...my husband lived there during grad school so he refused to even consider moving there. It has less green space, if that's important to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey