Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 02:49 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I don't normally read the New Jersey forum, but the title of this thread caught my eye. I hate to say this, but the whole attitude of a 45 year old guy making a huge mess in a store at the mall to get revenge on the store's staff and then bragging about being immature and how good it felt to do this is, first of all, ridiculous if not outright disturbing, and secondly, based on some of the comments that he is getting congratulating him for a job well done, not exactly making New Jersey look like a shining beacon of decent behavior.

I see so many threads on other states' forums where someone inquires about moving there from New Jersey, and you can almost feel the animosity towards them, particularly states in the Southeastern U.S. I think I'm starting to get some of it, if this is the typical attitude of very many of the people in this state. It only continues to perpetuate the pushy, bossy, in your face, "You gotta problem widdat?" stereotype that plagues natives of New Jersey wherever they go but that is (hopefully!) not accurate for most of them.

I pity anyone from New Jersey trying to move somewhere else and having to drag that stereotype with them. Life's hard enough in a new city and state without your new neighbors being afraid and upset that "The Situation" just moved in next door, especially when you don't even fit the stereotype.
Lighten up, Francis. Save your pity for some one that needs it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 03:09 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
when the waitress brought a menu for him to choose something else, that's when he noticed the description of the scallops as "oversized" so that's when he decided to add the size to the complaint; it wasn't an initial issue.

its a 60% chance he is sending the food back for being "ice cold" so im very used to ignoring it.

I think sending stuff back often is some kind of psychological issue. I think it stems from some enjoyment of demeaning people who are obligated to take your crap.
"You call THESE jumbo shrimp? In my day they were the size of lobsters!"

Cranky Old Mr. Anderson down the block

Old 03-24-2014, 03:17 PM

79 posts, read 96,065 times
dressing up/down makes a difference sometimes and sometimes not. i have been a regular at short hills, livingston mall for the past 20years.

i have a disabled 13yo and look a mess now continually some are still nice. they could be nice b/c they see me with a child in a walker

a customer in westfield's lord and taylor once nastily told me to control my toddler in his walker when he walked into her.
another time when he was 2 and screaming!! in his stroller at livingston mall and i was refusing to leave to try to teach him crying wasn't going to get him his way and several people looked at me horribly and told me to take my child home.

now i believe the school treats me the way they do b/c of the way i look. not sure..

sorry, i've now turned this into a different subject or have I?

so, has anyone ever run into me? a screaming child in a walker and his mother is being strict with him ie "get up and let's go"

Old 03-24-2014, 03:46 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
When A&F was big, my sister was buying her teens $35 plain white tees. So they were over one time, I go into my dresser and pull out a new pack of BVDs. "There ya go. $20 bucks" The kids just rolled their eyes like I didn't get it.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:30 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,192,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anesthesiamd View Post
"I merely made those those spoiled brats in training employees actually do some work for their paycheck."
Fixed!

Old 03-24-2014, 06:25 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
The only attention I ever get from salespeople is from the 7'2" no-necked types who walk into your personal space, stare down at you, and say "CAN I HELP YOU, SIR"? (in case you've never experienced this, these people are not salespeople but security attempting to intimidate you into leaving) So, bravo.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:43 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
I'm so old I remember when A&F sold expensive shotguns and fly fishing gear.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:08 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I don't normally read the New Jersey forum, but the title of this thread caught my eye. I hate to say this, but the whole attitude of a 45 year old guy making a huge mess in a store at the mall to get revenge on the store's staff and then bragging about being immature and how good it felt to do this is, first of all, ridiculous if not outright disturbing, and secondly, based on some of the comments that he is getting congratulating him for a job well done, not exactly making New Jersey look like a shining beacon of decent behavior.

I see so many threads on other states' forums where someone inquires about moving there from New Jersey, and you can almost feel the animosity towards them, particularly states in the Southeastern U.S. I think I'm starting to get some of it, if this is the typical attitude of very many of the people in this state. It only continues to perpetuate the pushy, bossy, in your face, "You gotta problem widdat?" stereotype that plagues natives of New Jersey wherever they go but that is (hopefully!) not accurate for most of them.

I pity anyone from New Jersey trying to move somewhere else and having to drag that stereotype with them. Life's hard enough in a new city and state without your new neighbors being afraid and upset that "The Situation" just moved in next door, especially when you don't even fit the stereotype.
I see this is not the first time you have made a post like this. You sound like you have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to people from the Northeast.
I feel really badly for the folks from NY, NJ, and MA who are not like the "rude Yankee" stereotype, and I have met some in our travels around the South. However, they often get overshadowed by the "I'm better than you, I know more than you, I don't like your politics or religion and plan to make some sweeping changes to your culture and way of life when I get there because I want it to be just like the place I just left only cheaper and warmer" people from those areas.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:14 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
An arrogant doctor tells us all a story.
Hard to believe a Type A personality was reluctant to dress down a couple of shop girls.
If the story is true, you're more of an AH than the average physician.
And, you wonder why so many people hate those cheap, miserable, SOB MDs?
If you didn't pay cash, karma may well be a 6!+<k!
Quote:
At work I am a completely different person. Very professional. So much so that I am chairman of my department.
Wonder what everyone says about you, behind your back. Probably, "what a priss!"
Quote:
I have a wife and 3 kids, lots of friends, a pillar of the community ... I "might have some kind of issue", who knows?
Aren't there any shrinks on your staff? Show one this thread. Imagine the meds you could get.
Quote:
Not much point in posting things everyone will agree with.
Almost everyone may agree that you are an AH.

Last edited by bigjake54; 03-24-2014 at 07:39 PM..

Old 03-24-2014, 07:30 PM

414 posts, read 930,545 times
Default Can I get an Amen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
This is why I try to do most of my shopping online. I can't stand malls/salespeople anymore.

Totally agree with you here! Malls suck! I've been doing a majority of my X-Mas shopping for years online and only hit a few stores to get stocking stuffers or a small last minute gift.

However, I do enjoy going to Macy's during their sales events or discount places like Burlington Coat Factory or Marshalls/TJ Maxx on occasion though. Sometimes you DO want to try stuff on..ya know?

You couldn't pay me to patronize a store like Abercrombie & Fitch

This might sound odd coming from a non-mall going person, but I do find that some of the outdoor plaza discount outlets have a very different and much more relaxed feel versus a mall. The salespeople aren't such a PITA to deal with and are actually pleasant for the most part. Just my opinion...curious what others think though....

My favorite of these is Liberty Village Outlets in Flemington, NJ...nice place to go in the summer.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey