Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 09:53 AM

521 posts, read 991,152 times

Advertisements

I just got to know from one of my colleagues who recently purchased a house in the South Bergen area (Lyndhurst, Rutherford, East Rutherford, others.) that having a buying agent is a good idea because sometime they have listings not available in the NJMLS. Is that true? I thought everything except foreclosures is in the NJMLS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 09:59 AM

400 posts, read 793,221 times
Yes.

There are listings called "exclusive office listings" where it does NOT have to be on the MLS. I get texts to my phone about listings that people in my office get before they ever reach the MLS. So if I have a buyer who wants a specific type of home and I get a notification about one, the buyer can see it and make an offer before any other agent even had a chance to show it to their clients.
There are so many advantages to having a buyer's agent, honestly, and this is just one of them.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:17 AM

Thank you very much for the info.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:17 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthayakobchuk View Post
Yes.

There are listings called "exclusive office listings" where it does NOT have to be on the MLS. I get texts to my phone about listings that people in my office get before they ever reach the MLS. So if I have a buyer who wants a specific type of home and I get a notification about one, the buyer can see it and make an offer before any other agent even had a chance to show it to their clients.
There are so many advantages to having a buyer's agent, honestly, and this is just one of them.
So for these "exclusive listings", is it only a matter of 2-4 days while they are being listed that they are "exclusive"? Or they remain exclusive throughout and are never listed on MLS and instead are sold by a realtor by word of mouth or internal networking? I assume it is the prior case but I can totally see the latter happening in hot markets where the agency wants to keep the full 5% within the agency and are sure to find the buyer from their internal pool of buyers.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
So for these "exclusive listings", is it only a matter of 2-4 days while they are being listed that they are "exclusive"? Or they remain exclusive throughout and are never listed on MLS and instead are sold by a realtor by word of mouth or internal networking? I assume it is the prior case but I can totally see the latter happening in hot markets where the agency wants to keep the full 5% within the agency and are sure to find the buyer from their internal pool of buyers.
It depends. For some it is only a couple of days, others a month before it hits the MLS, and some sellers just waive broker cooperation altogether meaning it never will reach the MLS, unless the seller changes his/her mind. Sure, cases like these aren't common, but as OP said, his friend bought a house before it ever hit the MLS. So it's not unheard of.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:31 AM

OP here. My colleague only mentioned the possibility of exclusiveness. Whether he got his house from a MLS listed house or not is something I dont know. But if this is not common then who is your buyer’s agent is can make a difference so far as available housing is concerned.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shet View Post
OP here. My colleague only mentioned the possibility of exclusiveness. Whether he got his house from a MLS listed house or not is something I dont know. But if this is not common then who is your buyer’s agent is can make a difference so far as available housing is concerned.
I apologize, I was thinking from memory. Didn't mean to distort your words!
But yes, it does all depend on the agent and the office they work in. For example, I work at Keller Williams, so I can't get access to Weichert's exclusive listings. Nor can I get access to exclusive listings from a different KW office that isn't under my broker.
As I said, it's uncommon, but it's not unheard of to eventually get a house this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey