Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 1,419 times

Advertisements

Looking for some honest insight. I got orders to work on Staten Island and my husband will be working in Sandy Hook NJ. We have no idea where to live in the middle. We are looking for a safe, nice and town to raise our children for the next 5 years. I really wanted to live in Red Bank NJ, but I have had many people tell me that, my commute would be horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 11:03 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,847,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJTV View Post
Looking for some honest insight. I got orders to work on Staten Island and my husband will be working in Sandy Hook NJ. We have no idea where to live in the middle. We are looking for a safe, nice and town to raise our children for the next 5 years. I really wanted to live in Red Bank NJ, but I have had many people tell me that, my commute would be horrible.
Fort Wadsworth? If so, that's right across from Brooklyn, NY. Coming from NJ one has to cross all of Staten Island to get to Fort Wadsworth.

I can't think of a place to live that would make both your commutes realistically doable.

You're both working where public transportation (for inter-state commuting purposes) is not viable. I took a look at ferries, buses, trains, etc.

Any place in the middle is still going to be one heck of a daily commute. Plus you have to consider school districts, and the fact that with school-age children I can't imagine that you'd want both parents so far away each day in case someone has to get to the school quickly.

Maybe someone else will think of something, but I'm stumped. Sorry.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:29 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,657,901 times
I would raise and live your life elsewhere..You can find so much better then NJ.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:45 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
You should be able to find some place along the northern coast in NJ between Sandy Hook and StIsland. About a half hour to 45 mins drive each way over the Outerbridge to SI.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:36 PM

400 posts, read 793,138 times
Where in Staten Island? I know someone who occasionally commutes from Staten Island to Union, NJ and she says it's about 45 minutes, give or take. I personally think somewhere along the Garden State Parkway is good. Union is a bit too north, I feel, and some areas are worse than others there.
What's your budget? And what are you going for? I think the Clark/Cranford area would be really nice. I'm not sure how far it is from where you have to go in Staten Island, but it's roughly 40 minutes from the base I'm thinking of by Sandy Hook (I don't know if that's the one where your husband will be), It may be even less. These communities offer nice, safe, suburban neighborhoods. Cranford has a cute downtown area, and both are close to Westfield which, if your budget allows may also be a good option, but is not directly off of the parkway.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:59 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,085 times
The East Brunswick or Old Bridge area might be a good halfway point commuting-wise.

You need to reply to the sticky for budget, likes/dislikes etc.

Last edited by EBWick; 04-01-2014 at 04:38 PM..

Old 04-01-2014, 05:45 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,452,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJTV View Post
In order to give you truly useful suggestions and recommendations suitable for your situation - wants/needs/desires we really need more info from you. Please see this sticky post at the top of this forum, //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...residents.html and provide us with your responses to the enclosed questions. Once we have the additional information, I am confident that you will quickly receive replies complete with well thought out helpful recommendations. This forum is chock full of knowledgeable people who are more than happy to share their wisdom and experience with others. You will find that we are honest, (sometimes brutally so) and many times downright blunt - though we rarely bite

KoalaNJ

Old 04-02-2014, 07:42 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
I'm going to suggest any place in NJ about half way between the two points. The ride into Staten I shouldn't be too bad in the AM and you get the toll discount if you go more than 3 times a month. You might drive along the Eastern side and up. The SI Expwy gets loaded up across the whole island most morning with traffic from the continental US going to LI avoiding Manhattan. The drive to Sandy Hook is along NJ 36 most of the way, relatively traffic free.

I worked in SI for over 5 years and a lot of my staff drove in from Central NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey