Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 08:12 AM

4 posts, read 4,045 times

Advertisements

So I'm considering options on breaking a lease for my apartment in NJ. My finances have got a little tight due to some unexpected issues and it isn't sustainable for me to live in my current apartment anymore. I still have 6 months left on the lease and have read through the lease agreement and the only mention of lease breaking comes with noticing the landlord 30 days in advance and paying 2 months worth of rent. I obviously like to bypass this and not have to pay the penalty but is that even an option? Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 08:14 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,259 times
Once you sign something in writing well you cant really get out of it .. Now, if you are able to source someone to take over your lease i think then you would be okay unless they have some people on a waiting list to fill your apartment up right away. Talk to the management and see what they can do for you.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:29 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,749,185 times
Most landlords i have dealt with are ok with it if you can find a replacement. Give them a call and tell them you will need to move in a month or two and if you can break the lease if you go out and find a suitable renter.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:58 AM

400 posts, read 793,862 times
I agree with PP. The two months rent that you have to pay are probably because of the holdover time. If you're landlord would agree for you to sublet it or assign the lease.
I think you should tell the landlord, in writing, about your financial situation and why you will be moving (can't afford the rent anymore). Landlords are human too and they may agree to work something out with you.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:13 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,855,263 times
Have you tried discussing your situation with the landlord? I would imagine the landlord prefers a tenant like yourself that is honest about their situation, rather than someone who just stops paying the rent & waits to be evicted.

Maybe the landlord would be willing to negotiate a lower rent for the remaining six months of your lease.

If he's willing to reduce the rent than just be sure to get it in writing.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:03 PM

289 posts, read 608,574 times
Discuss with your landlord about your situation (if he seems like a reasonable person to you). You landlord might be able to let you go sooner this time of the year (spring) compared to Aug/Sept when it starts getting harder to find tenants. One way this could work out is that your landlord could put your apartment up for rent again while you continue to live in it. You could do showings on Sat afternoons (don't leave anything valuable outside, you could still be in the apartment during the showings). If your landlord is able to find a decent tenant in the next month or two, he might let you leave with no penalty at all. Good Luck!

Old 03-31-2014, 09:11 PM

239 posts, read 413,947 times
You signed a lease as an agreement. You can go anywhere you want to go, but you have to honor the agreement and pay the remaining monies due.

P.S. you don't have to take my advise. In the end, people do exactly what they want to do anyway.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:03 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,045,878 times
The first issue is whether the landlord is an individual person who owns the building or a management firm. If the former, then yes, you could try talking with the person and explaining the situation. Depending on their temperament and how their situation is, they may or may not be willing to work with you on the rent (ex, restructuring the final months of the lease with a lump some payment at EOL) or providing some other options. If it's a mgmt. firm, my experience is, they are going to be hard with the lease rules.

However, as others have mentioned, you did sign a contract and that is a legally binding document. If you are not willing to follow through on the contract obligations - especially if it is a mgmt. firm - you can expect your credit rating to take a hit and for the potential of that firm to sue you. Even individual landlords are going to look askance at this. Some of the more ruthless ones will have no problem going management firm-style after you.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:11 PM

4 posts, read 4,045 times
Yea, they are a management firm and I was afraid of that. I'll try my luck at speaking with the manager and see if I can work anything out.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:42 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,749,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmsal View Post
Yea, they are a management firm and I was afraid of that. I'll try my luck at speaking with the manager and see if I can work anything out.
Give it a shot. My last rental was with a mangement firm and they could careless as long as i had a suitable replacement that met all their criteria(background check, salary, etc.). Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey