Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 10:36 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
As a former suburban kid, I don't 100% agree with that assessment, and I also think it depends on the type of drugs we are talking about.

Some suburban kids, particularly those who do hard drugs like heroin, definitely also begin using to escape emotional pain. (What, does living in the suburbs somehow miraculously prevent emotional pain? I have a former-heroin-addict brother in a lovely suburban cemetery who could have told you differently.)

Others who are using "recreational" drugs like pot and coke or hallucogenics are probably under the boredom or peer pressure categories.

And I'm pretty sure some inner city youth also start using drugs because of boredom and peer pressure.

As someone who grew up in an inner city,I do not know of any who used heroin nor coke.
Most just used marijuana and alcohol.

Most of the inner city drug dealers will tell you who their biggest customers are: suburbanites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 10:40 PM

I guess I am with the Libertarians on this issue.

If you want to do drugs,fine,it is none of my business.
As long as you are not hurting your children or stealing,have at it.

Just do not get angry if employers do not want to hire drug addicts.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:18 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

What about the drug addicts who become violent and/or paranoid while high and put others at risk, sometimes harming them in some way like assault or murder? What about the drug addicts who get high, need money to get higher, and break into homes, stealing people's things they worked hard for (expensive jewelry, some family heirlooms that are meaningful and irreplaceable, electronics, etc) to sell for drug money? What if someone's teenager daughter was home alone while a drug addict broke into their house to steal their things, and the teen hid in her parent's closet while calling 911 then cried into the responding officer's shoulder in sheer terror for a half hour after the addict was arrested (this happened to someone in my town, by someone using heroin)?

Sorry, but I'm one of those who believes that drug use leads to anything positive or is even slightly okay. I do not condone drugs for anyone. Maybe I'm too rigid on it, and I am a libertarian on some things, but not this. I cannot say "fine, it's none of my business" when stuff I mentioned above goes on. It makes me too angry when people put others at risk to fuel their habit. Kind of like drunk drivers. I can't stand drunk drivers.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:52 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
What about the drug addicts who become violent and/or paranoid while high and put others at risk, sometimes harming them in some way like assault or murder? What about the drug addicts who get high, need money to get higher, and break into homes, stealing people's things they worked hard for (expensive jewelry, some family heirlooms that are meaningful and irreplaceable, electronics, etc) to sell for drug money? What if someone's teenager daughter was home alone while a drug addict broke into their house to steal their things, and the teen hid in her parent's closet while calling 911 then cried into the responding officer's shoulder in sheer terror for a half hour after the addict was arrested (this happened to someone in my town, by someone using heroin)?
when someone commits real crimes, then you arrest them. don't arrest them for what you seem to feel is the pre-crime of getting high. the above post is kind of crazy that we are supposed to assume drug addicts are going to go around murdering and raping everyone so we should arrest them before they commit crimes.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:12 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:

I have to add that if we go to tax payer funded health care that people who willfully damage their health with drugs shouldn't be able to suck up more than their fair share of a finite resource.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:25 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
when someone commits real crimes, then you arrest them. don't arrest them for what you seem to feel is the pre-crime of getting high. the above post is kind of crazy that we are supposed to assume drug addicts are going to go around murdering and raping everyone so we should arrest them before they commit crimes.
Well, considering drugs like heroin are illegal, use of them or possession of them is a crime to begin with, so that's kind of an irrelevant point. They're criminals the second they buy, possess, sell, or use. It can only escalate to violence, sometimes, from there.

Also, what "I feel is the pre crime of getting high"? You do realize that stealing from someone, breaking and entering, is also a crime right? Regardless of the reasoning, it's a crime. Murder and assault are crimes, as well, drugs addicts or not. My point was that drug use can lead to these types of crimes, so I find it hard to understand how anyone can be nonchalant about drug use because it's a person's choice, or say that it's okay to use as long as you're not harming anyone, because well, in many cases someone will be harmed at some point to feed the addiction or as a result of the addiction. Should we wait until that happens, saying "oh, you can use until you kill someone because you were so high you didn't know what you were doing" or "oh, it's fine until the day you break into someone's home to steal their stuff to buy more drugs" because that's just enabling them. Saying that someone's drug use is fine until it reaches that point IMO is not okay because why allow it to even get that far? I understand that not every addict will commit other crimes like these, but a lot do. Drug use leads to nothing good, that's for sure.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 05-04-2014 at 09:44 PM..

Old 05-04-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:

Sorry, but I'm one of those who believes that drug use leads to anything positive or is even slightly okay. I do not condone drugs for anyone. Maybe I'm too rigid on it, and I am a libertarian on some things, but not this. I cannot say "fine, it's none of my business" when stuff I mentioned above goes on. It makes me too angry when people put others at risk to fuel their habit. Kind of like drunk drivers. I can't stand drunk drivers.
That is why i put "as long as they are not stealing or harming their children".

Old 05-04-2014, 11:41 PM

If a drug user commits burglary,then they have to serve time for burglary.
That is it.
The judge should not give them less time in jail because they were high at the time,and i also do not think we should send anyone to rehab.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:23 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
As someone who grew up in an inner city,I do not know of any who used heroin nor coke.
Most just used marijuana and alcohol.

Most of the inner city drug dealers will tell you who their biggest customers are: suburbanites.
Of course. The inner city dealers don't have to go out to the suburbs--they know users will come to them. Not that drugs aren't sold in the 'burbs, but often people go in to the city and buy just a sufficient quantity to sell so that their own use will be free.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:24 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Well, considering drugs like heroin are illegal, use of them or possession of them is a crime to begin with, so that's kind of an irrelevant point. They're criminals the second they buy, possess, sell, or use. It can only escalate to violence, sometimes, from there.

Also, what "I feel is the pre crime of getting high"? You do realize that stealing from someone, breaking and entering, is also a crime right? Regardless of the reasoning, it's a crime. Murder and assault are crimes, as well, drugs addicts or not. My point was that drug use can lead to these types of crimes, so I find it hard to understand how anyone can be nonchalant about drug use because it's a person's choice, or say that it's okay to use as long as you're not harming anyone, because well, in many cases someone will be harmed at some point to feed the addiction or as a result of the addiction. Should we wait until that happens, saying "oh, you can use until you kill someone because you were so high you didn't know what you were doing" or "oh, it's fine until the day you break into someone's home to steal their stuff to buy more drugs" because that's just enabling them. Saying that someone's drug use is fine until it reaches that point IMO is not okay because why allow it to even get that far? I understand that not every addict will commit other crimes like these, but a lot do. Drug use leads to nothing good, that's for sure.
you seem to accept that when the government says something is a crime, then doing it automatically becomes an act of evil. but laws change, so how can something be evil one minute and then ok the next?

the reality is that while drug use and possession is illegal today, it shouldnt be and possibly wont be in be in the future (we already see things changing with marijuana today). all the things you said regarding murdering people, stealing, etc. are real crimes with real victims. however, in those cases the drug use/possession is a "pre-crime" because (in my opinion) using drugs isnt a crime. if you want to take the position of "using drugs is a crime and its evil" then go ahead and make that case but dont do it by using real crimes as your reasoning. do it by saying why using/possessing drugs is bad on its own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey