Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 10:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,089 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from? Scotch Plains, NJ
Why are you moving? I would like to purchase a home and set some roots down.
Where will you be working ? Whitehouse Station, NJ

Will you buy or rent? Buy
What is your budget ? Less than $200,000
What kind of place are you looking for ? Single Family Home: Cape Cod or Ranch Style

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? No

Do you need/want good public schools?
This should/will be a starter home. I plan to find something better in the future once I have a family. However, you never know.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in. I currently live off of Route 22 on a relatively quiet neighborhood. I have access to shopping and multiple highways from where I live.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance. Safe Community/Access to Route 78W/ Within 20 minutes from Elizabeth/Newark Area due to commitments/

Since moving to New Jersey, I have only rented in Scotch Plains. I am unfamiliar with any other communities in the area; most importantly comparable towns with houses within my budget. I would like to live relatively close to work within 30 miles from Whitehouse Station, NJ. Also, I would prefer to not live in an unsafe community (no names used in order not to offend).

Is it even possible to find a decent start home in any of these counties?

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 11:25 PM

400 posts, read 789,472 times
Along 78 but closer to Elizabeth than Whitehouse Station and less than $200k for a single family?
It's a stretch. However, you didn't mention how many bedrooms you would like. Are you ok with one? Would you like at least 2?
Regardless, it sounds fairly unreasonable. I know that $200k could get you a condo around the Bedminster/Bernard's area as well as Springfield and there are a couple of short sales in Scotch Plains but if you want a single family home, you would need a higher budget or settle down closer to your job.
There are also some listings in North Plainfield (not sure which parts, and I know some are worse than others) and Union (but, IMO, the less nice areas).

Old 04-06-2014, 11:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthayakobchuk View Post
Along 78 but closer to Elizabeth than Whitehouse Station and less than $200k for a single family?
It's a stretch. However, you didn't mention how many bedrooms you would like. Are you ok with one? Would you like at least 2?
Regardless, it sounds fairly unreasonable. I know that $200k could get you a condo around the Bedminster/Bernard's area as well as Springfield and there are a couple of short sales in Scotch Plains but if you want a single family home, you would need a higher budget or settle down closer to your job.
There are also some listings in North Plainfield (not sure which parts, and I know some are worse than others) and Union (but, IMO, the less nice areas).

Thank you for the quick and helpful response.

I am starting realize that a single family home may be a little out of my reach the more I research. New Jersey is much different when compared with my previous place of residence.

I would like to have more than one bedroom and have not considered a condo until this point in time. An interesting point you make is that I would have to consider moving closer towards Whitehouse. Any recommendations in towns in the area that I could consider?

Old 04-07-2014, 01:47 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,739,442 times
Yea also note that essex Co has higher taxes than the others so while you could find stuff in your range you may want to consider towns outside of essex first.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:37 AM

324 posts, read 571,379 times
North Plainfield does seem to match your description. Most (or all) of the town is safe. You'll likely want to do some work to any single family home you could buy in the area for under $200k. If you don't want to do any work to the house, you're probably better off getting a condo. There are more towns you could look for the condo in, but North Plainfield is still geographically where you want to be, although slightly over 20 minutes to Elizabeth and Newark.

Property taxes will be a large portion of your monthly payment, and they vary a lot from town to town. In one town you may only be able to afford a $200k house, but in another you could afford $250k.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:18 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,651,452 times
Sorry but not happening in NJ or at least not up north here. You want safe close and cheap but that doesn't work.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:38 AM

There are a couple of condos/single family homes in Bridgewater and Manville. They're not right off of 78, but close to 22 and 287. I can't say too much about the locations in Bridgewater, but the ones in Manville I'm referring to are not in a flood zone (there are a number of homes in your price range that are in the flood section, but considering how bad it can get there, I don't think anyone would want that.) it's probably about 20 minutes east of Whitehouse Station. My husband's family lives in Manville, so I can safely say that it's a pretty safe town (schools aren't great, but you're not looking for that). My mother in law commutes to Newark airport via 22, and it takes her about an hour, so that might be too long for you.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:15 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,096,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pxhidalgo84 View Post
Where are you coming from? Scotch Plains, NJ
Why are you moving? I would like to purchase a home and set some roots down.
Where will you be working ? Whitehouse Station, NJ

Will you buy or rent? Buy
What is your budget ? Less than $200,000
What kind of place are you looking for ? Single Family Home: Cape Cod or Ranch Style

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? No

Do you need/want good public schools?
This should/will be a starter home. I plan to find something better in the future once I have a family. However, you never know.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in. I currently live off of Route 22 on a relatively quiet neighborhood. I have access to shopping and multiple highways from where I live.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance. Safe Community/Access to Route 78W/ Within 20 minutes from Elizabeth/Newark Area due to commitments/

Since moving to New Jersey, I have only rented in Scotch Plains. I am unfamiliar with any other communities in the area; most importantly comparable towns with houses within my budget. I would like to live relatively close to work within 30 miles from Whitehouse Station, NJ. Also, I would prefer to not live in an unsafe community (no names used in order not to offend).

Is it even possible to find a decent start home in any of these counties?

Thanks in advance.

I think you should reconsider where you want to live to some degree. You commute to work 5 days a week (presumably). If what you do in Elizabeth/Newark is less often than that (which it presumably is), it makes far more sense to live closer to work and further from Elizabeth/Newark, not the other way around.

You also have not mentioned any other particular considerations for housing (walkable downtown, rural, etc). I would probably look in the cheaper Raritan Valley towns given your limited budget for the area. North Plainfield, Dunellen, Middlesex, Finderne/Bradley Gardens districts of Bridgewater, Somerville, Raritan. You absolutely need to check the flood maps in many of these towns, there are plenty of parts of them that have no flood worries....but plenty that do.

I personally would not recommend Bound Brook or Manville unless you want to be in what have become very Hispanic/ethnic areas. Both have parts with some safety issues as well, the broader concern is more that you would probably be uncomfortable. They also have huge flooding issues in large swaths of them. Not saying don't look at all, but don't leap at it without a lot of investigation in all aspects.

Plainfield you are probably well acquainted with the problems in. Sleepy Hollow and some other areas have nice homes and not so much crime, but high taxes will make it less cheap than it appears. The nicer parts are also the parts that aren't very close to 22/78 access.

If you're willing to look at a condo/townhome, you probably have more options.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
I think you should reconsider where you want to live to some degree. You commute to work 5 days a week (presumably). If what you do in Elizabeth/Newark is less often than that (which it presumably is), it makes far more sense to live closer to work and further from Elizabeth/Newark, not the other way around.

You also have not mentioned any other particular considerations for housing (walkable downtown, rural, etc). I would probably look in the cheaper Raritan Valley towns given your limited budget for the area. North Plainfield, Dunellen, Middlesex, Finderne/Bradley Gardens districts of Bridgewater, Somerville, Raritan. You absolutely need to check the flood maps in many of these towns, there are plenty of parts of them that have no flood worries....but plenty that do.

I personally would not recommend Bound Brook or Manville unless you want to be in what have become very Hispanic/ethnic areas. Both have parts with some safety issues as well, the broader concern is more that you would probably be uncomfortable. They also have huge flooding issues in large swaths of them. Not saying don't look at all, but don't leap at it without a lot of investigation in all aspects.

Plainfield you are probably well acquainted with the problems in. Sleepy Hollow and some other areas have nice homes and not so much crime, but high taxes will make it less cheap than it appears. The nicer parts are also the parts that aren't very close to 22/78 access.

If you're willing to look at a condo/townhome, you probably have more options.

I'm not sure what's wrong with "Hispanic/ethnic areas." If we're going to get into that, Manville is still largely Polish, even if Hispanics are moving into the area. Again, not sure what's wrong with this. I can't really say much about Bound Brook except that my sister in law has lived there for a few years and has had nothing happen to her. As for Manville, I'm not sure if it's all that unsafe. Again, my husband's family has lived there for over 15 years with no trouble and we go there regularly. Perhaps you are talking about the parts of Manville closer to Bound Brook, but those are generally the parts that flood, which I think is a bigger concern.

However, I do agree that it makes sense to live closer to work than to Newark, but that's just my opinion.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:44 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,096,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthayakobchuk View Post
I'm not sure what's wrong with "Hispanic/ethnic areas." If we're going to get into that, Manville is still largely Polish, even if Hispanics are moving into the area. Again, not sure what's wrong with this. I can't really say much about Bound Brook except that my sister in law has lived there for a few years and has had nothing happen to her. As for Manville, I'm not sure if it's all that unsafe. Again, my husband's family has lived there for over 15 years with no trouble and we go there regularly. Perhaps you are talking about the parts of Manville closer to Bound Brook, but those are generally the parts that flood, which I think is a bigger concern.

However, I do agree that it makes sense to live closer to work than to Newark, but that's just my opinion.
Well, they've currently chosen to live in Scotch Plains, which is relatively low diversity. Bound Brook is 49% (all # from 2010 census) Hispanic/Latino. Scotch Plains is 7%. It's going to be massively different to live in as a result, and very different from living in most other places.

Manville is 19%, but that's up from 5% in the 2000 census. It's changing pretty quickly as well, just not as fast.

Some other communities (Raritan, Somerville), have similar demographics to Manville, but Manville is more isolated from the surrounding area and I notice the shift in "feel" more, while the others get averaged out more by the less diverse surrounding area (Bridgewater, Readington, etc), in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey