Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 11:05 AM

133 posts, read 203,659 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I posted in NYC forum as well. I'm living in the UK (London), moving to Brooklyn next month.

I heard on NYC forum that Hudston/Essex Counties have cheap sales tax (3.5%). So I'm looking at buying my car/TV/setting up (mattress, desk, etc) in Jersey.

Any online sites or shopping malls you guys can suggest for those counties? So far I got tigerdirect, amazon.

Also, car dealerships, anything that sticks out? I obviously will google it, but just wondering if there is any mega dealership I should know about.

Cheers,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 12:45 PM

414 posts, read 931,121 times
Well...I checked into this a bit as I was unfamiliar with "Urban Enterprise Zones" that do allow some economically depressed areas of NJ to charge 3.5% vs. the standard 7% State Tax rate.

Wikipedia has a list of cities/municipalities that are UEZ's:

Category:New Jersey Urban Enterprise Zones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, here's where it gets a bit tricky, IMO:

A municipality may request that the New Jersey Urban Enterprise Zone Authority designate part of the city, usually about 30%, as an Urban Enterprise Zone.

How can you determine where the 30% areas are? AND better question, are they even safe areas to shop in?

I mean, I sure as hell wouldn't go to the really crappy parts of Camden or Newark (that I wouldn't be caught dead in anyway), just to pay 3.5% tax.

Last edited by The Winter Soldier; 04-12-2014 at 01:41 PM..

Old 04-12-2014, 01:33 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz2014 View Post
Hey guys,

I posted in NYC forum as well. I'm living in the UK (London), moving to Brooklyn next month.

I heard on NYC forum that Hudston/Essex Counties have cheap sales tax (3.5%). So I'm looking at buying my car/TV/setting up (mattress, desk, etc) in Jersey.

Any online sites or shopping malls you guys can suggest for those counties? So far I got tigerdirect, amazon.

Also, car dealerships, anything that sticks out? I obviously will google it, but just wondering if there is any mega dealership I should know about.

Cheers,

I have a full size sleigh bed with mattress for sale if you're interested ? Its in great shape and under 2 years old. Bought it from Ashely Furniture.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:40 PM

133 posts, read 203,659 times
oh right. I was under the impression jersey city and hoboken are in these areas..I need to research this further

Old 04-12-2014, 01:48 PM

414 posts, read 931,121 times
Jersey City (as well as nearby Newark, East Orange and some other Northern NJ cities) are Urban Enterprise Zones.

However, Hoboken is NOT.

I have NO idea how to determine which specific areas within a city are in the 30% designated area where you can get that 3.5% tax.

I highly doubt that any of the car dealerships are.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:57 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,486 times
You can't get 3.5% on a new car anyway. If would be an unfair advantage due to the substantial amount of money you could potentially save.

Also, be aware, I dont think deliveries are included either. I bought a washer and dryer in a 3.5% zone store, come to find out, you only got tax break if you carried it out, meaning i was sol becuase i was getting it delivered.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:06 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
Also "Legally" when you File your NYState Income tax form the following year you are suppose to declare the difference in sales tax paid that is less the NYState & NYCity Sales tax and pay the difference when you file you NYState Tax return. For Taxable Items you bought that your brought back to NYCity.

Cars are taxed where they are registered. So if you buy a car in NJ, NJ will not tax it, NY will tax it when you register the car there. Car Dealer near state lines normally do that for you. If the car dealer is far from the state line, they give your Temporary Licence Plates (A cardboard "plate" good for 10-30 day) for you to get the car home and register it there.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:11 PM

88,570 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
oh right. I was under the impression jersey city and hoboken are in these areas..I need to research this further
Jersey City most definitely is. There is a place called Newport Mall in in a very nice, very safe area of Jersey City that's under the UEZ taxes. Jersey City also has a Sleepy's, which is a big bed chain.

There's another mall off the New Jersey Turnpike called Jersey Gardens, which I believe is in Elizabeth and in the UEZ.

There are car dealerships all over. You should have no problem locating one.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:44 PM

26 posts, read 56,964 times
Keep an eye on the online deals for TV, quite often you could save much more than tax. And make sure if your credit card has cash back on certain retailer. My Amex had 10% cash back in Bestbuy at the end of last year.

Speaking of cars, You could use some websites like truecar or edmund to ask for quotes and go from there. I don't see how one dealership beats another one. That's just my super subjective opinions.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:23 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,851,625 times
Quote:
Hey guys,

Cheers,
FYI, it's Hudson County, not Hudston County.

Even within the designated "urban enterprise zones" it's still up to each individual store to apply for permission to charge the reduced sales tax. Don't assume that a store will charge the lesser sales tax simply because they are within a UEZ.

Before purchasing you can ask the store what sales tax percentage they are charging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey