Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:17 AM

39 posts, read 152,084 times

Advertisements

Hello good people,

We've browsing/reading this website for quite long time and finally we decided to give a try. We have a 3 year child and currently live in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn NY, but honestly already tired from keep wasting our money with the rent option, so we decided to buy.

We already started looking in Bergen County(the closest to Bronx), because I work there(Montefiore Medical Center Bronx, NY 10467) and my other half works in Brooklyn (but not for a long because later this year we'll become 4. We have been searching the internet looking for newly built homes(the bigger the better) between 300-400k in commuter towns with a really good schools. To us most important keywords are safety(low crime areas), young family-orientated place, easy commute to NYC and of course, a diverse place to love.

And I said, we do really need an excellent school system. We really hope that your advice, professional tips and suggestions will narrow down and help us choose the best option for our future well-being.

Thank you so much in advance for your time and patience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 08:38 AM

400 posts, read 793,512 times
Congratulations on buying a home and the baby on the way!

I have to say that it is going to be very hard to find a new house in an excellent school system for $400k that's an easy commute to the Bronx.
However, you did outline that you would the important things are safety, family-oriented, commutable, and diverse. That said, if you are willing to sacrifice the new build and a bigger house for these other things or settle for a good vs excellent school system, you may be able to find some things that would fit your family.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:58 AM

I know that We must face the reality, therefor We're willing to sacrifice this or that...Do you have a place or something in mind?

Old 04-14-2014, 09:22 AM

357 posts, read 1,026,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnny View Post
I know that We must face the reality, therefor We're willing to sacrifice this or that...Do you have a place or something in mind?
Whats this or that?

300-400 for a really good school newer home (not even sure what you classify as newer), really big isn't happening. Not even close.

Off the top of my head, with Bronx, you'd want to look at the George Washington bus towns of northern NJ. I'd start with Fairlawn but do not know the commuting options using the GW.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:41 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,798 times
Congradz on the 4th child and please read this sticky then answer it to get best feedback.

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...residents.html

You haven't said what you need such as how many Bedroom, bathroom, what is the commute you are willing to endure (up to 2hours? 1hours?). Must have house? Or will apartment do? etc.

Without that, people can't even begin to offer you their 2 cents.

Heads-up though. Overall though anytime folks say my budget is 400k max and i want great school with easy commute to NYC in NJ with enough space to support family of 4. It automatic default answer is you need to look further, up the budget a lot, and not easy to find. Why is that? Whelp, because you can't find that on Long Island either easily unless you go further out and that applies the same to NJ.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:09 AM

@imoapie, I meant that we are ready to sacrifice the shorter commute and/or not so brand new 2014 property.
@babo111, it's gonna be a second child. We like properties like condos, townhouses or single family homes for up to 1h (drive) radius from Hudson. We prefer 3 or 4 bedroom(incl. community complex), with garage/parking, yard, rural or urban(preferably urban) and family orientated - school, daycares, hospital, supermarket, park. I never asked for Ivy League schools but We do really care where our children will build their knowledge, skills and overall development. I said $400K, coz my partner is not working and the the whole family is on my salary, only. I'm sorry, for it using the right real estate terminology. It is our first time looking to buy a home..Thanks.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:38 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,407 times
Low crime, big newer homes, and great education come at a big price... I would say up it to at least 650-700k if you want all that. NJ aint cheap

Old 04-14-2014, 11:06 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,065 times
So, take a look at this for estimates on commute times:

The New York Times > New York Region > Image > Travel Times on Commuter Rail

This is via train. Note that places even 15 mi away from NYC might take an hour or two to drive into the city. This is why people take public transportation.

Also, while on your budget you may not find a town that people will call excellent for schools. A town that people note has average above average or good schools might fit.

So maybe if you forego the newer builds, and excellent schools for average(which are still pretty solid) then you should be able to find something.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:06 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,173,458 times
Make sure you factor in property tax and commuter cost. Property tax can easily in the 10k range. Could be as close to 20k if you buying something in 700k range. Commuter cost 2 to 3x what you pay for metrocard. If you have to take subway on top of NJ transit, you added that too. And of course, NJ Transit is not subway, they don't run every 5 minutes. more like an hour in off peak.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:26 AM

137 posts, read 183,028 times
You can do well with some persistence and yes - it is possible in the $400s. Drive a brutally hard bargain, be patient, do your homework and use a calculator to determine what is appropriate for you and to hell with what people ask for their homes or think they are worth because they watched HGTV the night before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey