Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 04:23 PM

50 posts, read 67,861 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
Last year we moved into an apartment in Hudson county , NJ. After we moved in, we were told the house was for sale, and that we were going to be having new landlords in 3 months. Our mistake was that we didn't sign an actual lease. So we are living month to month.
Everything was fine with the new landlord, until November when he suddenly decided to change our heater. He never gave us a heads up that he would be repairing the heater and left us 3 days without heat or Gas. Although this was very unprofessional by him, we asked him politely via text to please keep in mind that we have 2 children under the age of 2, and to please advise of any repairs that would affect us, and we could be better prepared. In December, the water in my house started to drastically change temperatures, it would go from cool , to scorching HOT from one moment to the next. One day one of my boys burned his leg because of it. I called my landlord and explained what was going on with the water, and how dangerous this was. I advised him that not only has one of my kids been burned because of this, but my husband and i as well. He started giving every reason in the world why this was happening , as if it was normal, I advised him that i was not sure why this was happening , but it was and it was dangerously hot and it needs to get checked. He never checked it of course, we asked him for other repairs and nothing. Finally, last month we had guests, and my 7 year old niece was burned from the water. I decided to speak to my towns building inspections office , and they sent someone over to my house to check on my complaints. The inspector said he will write him a letter in regards to the repairs needed in our home. The inspector said he would have to go to the basement to check the temp of the water heater. Little did we know that the basement is full of violations, of which the inspector noted ALL of them. So last week my landlord received the letter from the inspector , he came to my house screaming and mad saying why did we call an inspector, etc etc. We didn't engage in any argument with him , and just let him check the things he needs to fix. Well Apparently the day after that he went to a lawyers office and had them send us a notice to quit and demand for possession with the reason that " owner wants to occupy our apartment". Well i find that really convenient, right after you get in trouble for your violations you want to "occupy the apartment. I know that it is illegal for a landlord to retaliate against a tenant for exercising their rights, but apparently it will be a hard case to win , and since he is using a cover up that he wants to occupy the apartment , although the judge may grant us more time eventually we will have to move.

The problem with this is the following, I am unemployed, my company was sold in August and we were all laid off, and my husband's job was a contract job which ended in February. My unemployment finished in Feb , and we are living off my husbands unemployment , we have been applying for jobs left right and go to non stop interviews to not get called back ( REALLY FRUSTRATING). Problem is my husband's unemployment is just enough to cover our rent, my brother lives with us and helps with the other portion of rent. We had to recently go and apply for food stamps, because we simply did not have enough money to eat after paying rent and utilities. How in the world can we put together money to move, when all of our money is paying for the rent now. Yes we have our security deposit, but you don't get that til after you move out. I seriously don't know what to do. Is there somewhere i can go that will offer assistance to move , like with a deposit and first month rent. please any advise that you can give me will really be helpful, i am so stressed with this situation, who will want to rent to 2 unemployed adults, we are not bad renters, we have paid every month on the 1st without any issues, its always our first priority, and here is this guy kicking us out because he did not want to do his job correctly, and just collect rent. It makes me sick to my stomach just imaging that we may not have shelter for our boys, I am so scared and mad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 04:30 PM

400 posts, read 794,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubito1724 View Post
Hi everyone!
Last year we moved into an apartment in Hudson county , NJ. After we moved in, we were told the house was for sale, and that we were going to be having new landlords in 3 months. Our mistake was that we didn't sign an actual lease. So we are living month to month.
Everything was fine with the new landlord, until November when he suddenly decided to change our heater. He never gave us a heads up that he would be repairing the heater and left us 3 days without heat or Gas. Although this was very unprofessional by him, we asked him politely via text to please keep in mind that we have 2 children under the age of 2, and to please advise of any repairs that would affect us, and we could be better prepared. In December, the water in my house started to drastically change temperatures, it would go from cool , to scorching HOT from one moment to the next. One day one of my boys burned his leg because of it. I called my landlord and explained what was going on with the water, and how dangerous this was. I advised him that not only has one of my kids been burned because of this, but my husband and i as well. He started giving every reason in the world why this was happening , as if it was normal, I advised him that i was not sure why this was happening , but it was and it was dangerously hot and it needs to get checked. He never checked it of course, we asked him for other repairs and nothing. Finally, last month we had guests, and my 7 year old niece was burned from the water. I decided to speak to my towns building inspections office , and they sent someone over to my house to check on my complaints. The inspector said he will write him a letter in regards to the repairs needed in our home. The inspector said he would have to go to the basement to check the temp of the water heater. Little did we know that the basement is full of violations, of which the inspector noted ALL of them. So last week my landlord received the letter from the inspector , he came to my house screaming and mad saying why did we call an inspector, etc etc. We didn't engage in any argument with him , and just let him check the things he needs to fix. Well Apparently the day after that he went to a lawyers office and had them send us a notice to quit and demand for possession with the reason that " owner wants to occupy our apartment". Well i find that really convenient, right after you get in trouble for your violations you want to "occupy the apartment. I know that it is illegal for a landlord to retaliate against a tenant for exercising their rights, but apparently it will be a hard case to win , and since he is using a cover up that he wants to occupy the apartment , although the judge may grant us more time eventually we will have to move.

The problem with this is the following, I am unemployed, my company was sold in August and we were all laid off, and my husband's job was a contract job which ended in February. My unemployment finished in Feb , and we are living off my husbands unemployment , we have been applying for jobs left right and go to non stop interviews to not get called back ( REALLY FRUSTRATING). Problem is my husband's unemployment is just enough to cover our rent, my brother lives with us and helps with the other portion of rent. We had to recently go and apply for food stamps, because we simply did not have enough money to eat after paying rent and utilities. How in the world can we put together money to move, when all of our money is paying for the rent now. Yes we have our security deposit, but you don't get that til after you move out. I seriously don't know what to do. Is there somewhere i can go that will offer assistance to move , like with a deposit and first month rent. please any advise that you can give me will really be helpful, i am so stressed with this situation, who will want to rent to 2 unemployed adults, we are not bad renters, we have paid every month on the 1st without any issues, its always our first priority, and here is this guy kicking us out because he did not want to do his job correctly, and just collect rent. It makes me sick to my stomach just imaging that we may not have shelter for our boys, I am so scared and mad.

My first word of advice is to reach out to Legal Aid -- honestly, I feel like there has been some breach of the law here, but lawyers over there can give you legal advice.

Second, what are you paying now in rent? If you had to move out, what would be your budget?

Old 04-29-2014, 04:32 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,081,064 times
I'm no lawyer but Id just squat in the apt. going forward until he has to evict and not pay the POS a nickel.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
I'm no lawyer but Id just squat in the apt. going forward until he has to evict and not pay the POS a nickel.
This only works if OP doesn't have to use the landlord as a reference for the next apartment...

Also, I know that there is no lease, but when was your lease from the previous landlord supposed to end? Did you and the current landlord shake on any agreement for a lease?
In this state, there is no law that says that a lease (for less than three years) has to be written down to be valid.

If you guys agreed that you would be pay monthly and see how it goes, he legally has to give you one month notice for you to move out (and him wanting to move in IS an allowed reason for him to evict you).

But as I said, you may have a case to get some rental money back if he's been renting this place to you illegally, especially if you have proof (he cashed checks with a note saying for the rent, and/or he gave you receipts). Contact legal aid.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:24 PM

We are currently paying $1350, I would say that's the max for the budget right now.

We are going tomorrow to legal aid to see what they said.

When we initially moved in, we never signed a lease not with the old or new landlord (I know big mistake ) everything just basically remained the same. It was like one month we had these people come and check the apartment out , and the landlord told us he was selling, he said not worry as everything with us will not change as far as rent and staying in the apartment. Then the next month we were told the new landlords name for when we pay rent and that's it.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubito1724 View Post
We are currently paying $1350, I would say that's the max for the budget right now.

We are going tomorrow to legal aid to see what they said.

When we initially moved in, we never signed a lease not with the old or new landlord (I know big mistake ) everything just basically remained the same. It was like one month we had these people come and check the apartment out , and the landlord told us he was selling, he said not worry as everything with us will not change as far as rent and staying in the apartment. Then the next month we were told the new landlords name for when we pay rent and that's it.
Well, having proof that you paid them monthly should be proof of a month-to-month lease.

Since you both are unemployed, are you flexible on where you live? I know it seems scary considering your situation, but if you are willing to move out of Hudson County, you can find a place to live.

In the meantime, keep applying for jobs. If you aren't receiving unemployment, you can't lose by getting a temporary hourly job at say, Starbucks or Target. The pay won't be much, but any amount would help.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:34 PM

225 posts, read 721,876 times
Is the building 3 units or less and the landlord is claiming he wants you out so he can live there? If so, I believe he has to give you several months notice for that. While you are month-to-month, landlords can only cancel w good cause. Plus, even if he gave you 1 month notice, it would take several months to get an eviction going and you can bring him to court in the meantime, so you probably have at least 2 months, which should be enough time to find somewhere w a better landlord.

http://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/code...ti_bulltin.pdf

Old 04-29-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHomebody View Post
Is the building 3 units or less and the landlord is claiming he wants you out so he can live there? If so, I believe he has to give you several months notice for that. While you are month-to-month, landlords can only cancel w good cause. Plus, even if he gave you 1 month notice, it would take several months to get an eviction going and you can bring him to court in the meantime, so you probably have at least 2 months, which should be enough time to find somewhere w a better landlord.

http://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/code...ti_bulltin.pdf
Good cause involves wanting to occupy it themselves...

Old 04-30-2014, 10:30 AM

Do any of you know if there is anywhere we can go that can help with a security deposit and first months rent? We have family willing to help, but it won't complete what we need to move? And since all of our current money coming in now is going to rent and expenses, there is no way we can save up almost 3000 in 2 months to move. we only have about 150 left a month after bills.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:09 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,814,532 times
I know that at one time, the Salvation Army helped people with rent. Not sure if they still do, but it can't hurt to check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey