Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2014, 07:47 AM

220 posts, read 379,424 times

Advertisements

So we recently bought a home that was built in 2005, the 10yr new-build warranty ends August 2015.

When we went into contract for our home last September, our inspector noticed that some of the wooden beams behind the insulation in an unfinished room in the basement were damp w/ minor rotting.

There was also some water damage on the corner of the dining room floor/walls directly above those beams, and on the garage walls directly on the other side of the dining room. He noted that this was caused by inproper/inadequate flashing on the roof, further evidenced by the water marks running down along the side of the house directly outside the dining room and above those basement beams.

We had the seller try to fix this by opening up the walls in both the dining room & garage (to dry out the wood), fix/paint them, and have proper flashing installed. I've been checking on these wooden beams from time to time, especially after heavy rains and they don't seem to be any more damp, but don't seem to be dry either.

There is no water leaking down the walls or puddles forming inside the house and the walls look fine, but I'm a little worried that the seller did not do an adequate job.

1) Is this something I can have the original builder fix under warranty? The booklet says that waterproofing is the responsibility of the builder, but does have an exclusion which states:

"Dampness in basement and foundation walls or in concrete basement and crawlspace floors is often common to new construction and is not a deficiency".

Considering it has been 9yrs since construction, would this situation qualify?

2) The booklet also states:

The Program cannot reimburse homeowners for repairs they have made: the Program must inspect the alleged defect first and then authorize the repair. If you make repairs without authorization, you will not be reimbursed for the expenses.

We're not seeking reimbursement for those costs (since the seller bore them), but is this something that might exclude us from making claims on the warranty? We have pictures and descriptions from the inspection describing the problem for the roof, flashing, dining room, and foundation beams, but perhaps the builder can make a counter-claim that the problem was exacerbated by having unauthorized repairs done.

Any help would be much appreciated, and apologies for the long post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 10:30 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
In my experience, based on my own home and those of several co-workers, those homeowner warranties have enough exclusions built into them so as to preclude most claimants from being successful. The only person I knew who was actually successful with his homeowner's warranty claim had a basement wall that was buckling, and which put his house in danger of collapse.

As far as I can tell from my experience, unless the claimed defect makes the house structurally unsound, you will probably not be successful with your claim. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't try, but...don't be surprised if the insurance company quotes some type of weasel clause that allows them to deny your claim.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:03 AM

220 posts, read 379,424 times
Wow really? This is backed by the NJ Department of Community Affairs, would've thought there'd be more protection for homeowners...

NJ Department of Community Affairs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey