Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 11:48 AM

5 posts, read 10,929 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have 2 kids and a wife, I've been looking for an ideal place to live and raise my kids, a suburb area with houses for rent with at least a one bedroom, and a good backyard to plant. But my budget for the rent is 800-950 as we are only moving here in NJ and don't have a stable job ye. I've already looked around warren county but the rents are so expensive. I hope someone has a suggestion. That would be of great help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 12:11 PM

527 posts, read 1,407,833 times
When you say Warren county, are you sure it's Warren "COUNTY" or Warren "Township" ?
Warren COUNTY is a pretty good hike to Bridgewater. Warren TOWNSHIP is much closer.

Anyway, $800-950 to rent a house is a bit on the low side but doable
You may have to look at some townhouses, instead of a detached house

Look in Bridgewater, Bridgewater is huge geographically and has a wide selection of rental houses in many price ranges
Bridgewater has excellent school system, might try in Bradley Garden, Finderne sections

Look in Raritan Borough (Borough not Township), very small town feel, Bridgewater wraps around it
Raritan is about 2 sq miles, drive around town, you will see "For rent" signs on some lawns
Raritan goes to Bridgewater school system (Bridgewater-Raritan school system)

Check out Somerville, Green Brook, almost any where in Somerset COUNTY (not Somerset Township)
maybe Manville on the low end, I would stay away from Bound Brook

Old 04-17-2014, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Which route should I take to have a better price negotiation, drive around or do the search online? I think it's warren township? It's exit 40 of route 78. This is my first time looking for a house so I'm not sure how to do it best.

Last edited by noinoi24; 04-17-2014 at 12:28 PM..

Old 04-17-2014, 01:26 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,452,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noinoi24 View Post
Hello, I have 2 kids and a wife, I've been looking for an ideal place to live and raise my kids, a suburb area with houses for rent with at least a one bedroom, and a good backyard to plant. But my budget for the rent is 800-950 as we are only moving here in NJ and don't have a stable job ye. I've already looked around warren county but the rents are so expensive. I hope someone has a suggestion. That would be of great help.
I am not saying this to be rude, just brutally honest. It's time for a little reality check. You are not going to find a SFH for rent in the Bridgewater area for <950/mo. In fact you will not find a one bedroom apartment in a nice, safe area for that price either. Your budget is just unrealistic. For a SFH, albeit a quite small one in an ok neighborhood that does not flood and ok schools, you are looking at ~$2000 a month and up. With two kids you will not be able to rent a one bd place, you must rent a 2bd, and depending on the kid's ages and sex, you may have to rent a 3 bd. Of course the rental prices will be greater the higher the number of bds. You need to up your housing budget, or better yet, obtain a job first, then find suitable housing near where ever your new employment is located - NJ is quite large and crowded. It is much wiser to have your employment location set before seeking housing. Finding an apt in Warren Co and signing a lease, only to find employment in Hudson or Essex Counties would only add commute headaches (there is precious little in the way of public transportation, and driving to/from work will be long and arduous.) Also the schools in Warren County are not good, and the commute from Warren Co to the Bridgewater area is long, and there is almost no public transit available.

KoalaNJ

Old 04-17-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
I am not saying this to be rude, just brutally honest. It's time for a little reality check. You are not going to find a SFH for rent in the Bridgewater area for <950/mo. In fact you will not find a one bedroom apartment in a nice, safe area for that price either. Your budget is just unrealistic. For a SFH, albeit a quite small one in an ok neighborhood that does not flood and ok schools, you are looking at ~$2000 a month and up. With two kids you will not be able to rent a one bd place, you must rent a 2bd, and depending on the kid's ages and sex, you may have to rent a 3 bd. Of course the rental prices will be greater the higher the number of bds. You need to up your housing budget, or better yet, obtain a job first, then find suitable housing near where ever your new employment is located - NJ is quite large and crowded. It is much wiser to have your employment location set before seeking housing. Finding an apt in Warren Co and signing a lease, only to find employment in Hudson or Essex Counties would only add commute headaches (there is precious little in the way of public transportation, and driving to/from work will be long and arduous.) Also the schools in Warren County are not good, and the commute from Warren Co to the Bridgewater area is long, and there is almost no public transit available.

KoalaNJ

Thanks for the input. I'll be working in bridgewater. Anyway, what would be other cities here in central NJ that you think I could afford with that budget? And with the consideration of a suburb set-up?

Old 04-17-2014, 01:40 PM

400 posts, read 793,138 times
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. Which route should I take to have a better price negotiation, drive around or do the search online? I think it's warren township? It's exit 40 of route 78. This is my first time looking for a house so I'm not sure how to do it best.
Yes, this is Warren Twp, not County.

I second KoalaNJ -- you have a small budget for NJ, and it will be very difficult for you to get a one-bedroom place with a family of four. Getting further away from NYC (in other words, west as opposed to east of Bridgewater) will help you find cheaper places, but you need a two-bedroom place and you won't really find that for less than $1000. I've even looked up where my brother used to rent in Sayreville, which I know is more affordable than other places, and two-bedrooms start at around $1100...

I was also going to suggest checking out Mobile Homes For Sale - 27,090 Available to Sell or Rent - 36,930 Communities and Parks though -- there are manufactured homes not extremely far from Bridgewater and some rents are affordable. However, I am not sure how renting one works -- if you need to pay for the land it sits on in addition to the monthly rent or if it's all included in the rent. It might be worth a look, though.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:11 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,452,317 times
Quote:
Thanks for the input. I'll be working in bridgewater. Anyway, what would be other cities here in central NJ that you think I could afford with that budget? And with the consideration of a suburb set-up?
I am afraid you are not understanding....there simply is no housing within your stated budget in NJ. Even 1 bd apartments in Newark, Plainfield, and Irvington are more then your budgeted amount. (I assume you do not want to consider those areas due to high crime, long commuting distance as well as the added cost and inconvenience of your entire family having to wear flak jackets 24/7. You need to up the housing budget and downsize your housing expectations. Being that you have a wife and 2 kids you are looking at needing a minimum of a 2 bd place, and if you have a boy and a girl you will likely need a 3br place. In the general Bridgewater area you are looking at a minimum of $1500 per month for a two bd apartment, and that will likely be in an flood zone, which of course you do not want, simply google "Bound Brook flooding" for more info. For single family housing not in a flood zone you are looking ~ $2000 a month and up. You may find some 2 bd apts in so-so neighborhoods for around 1800+ a month, but they are fairly rare to find.

KoalaNJ

Old 04-17-2014, 04:34 PM

400 posts, read 793,138 times
Quote:
I am afraid you are not understanding....there simply is no housing within your stated budget in NJ. Even 1 bd apartments in Newark, Plainfield, and Irvington are more then your budgeted amount. (I assume you do not want to consider those areas due to high crime, long commuting distance as well as the added cost and inconvenience of your entire family having to wear flak jackets 24/7. You need to up the housing budget and downsize your housing expectations. Being that you have a wife and 2 kids you are looking at needing a minimum of a 2 bd place, and if you have a boy and a girl you will likely need a 3br place. In the general Bridgewater area you are looking at a minimum of $1500 per month for a two bd apartment, and that will likely be in an flood zone, which of course you do not want, simply google "Bound Brook flooding" for more info. For single family housing not in a flood zone you are looking ~ $2000 a month and up. You may find some 2 bd apts in so-so neighborhoods for around 1800+ a month, but they are fairly rare to find.

KoalaNJ
Two bedroom apartments for $1500 aren't THAT rare within, say 1/2 hour of Bridgewater. Yes, they are hard to come by, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's in a flood zone if it's that price. I think if OP raises his max budget by 1/2, he should find somewhere to house his family.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:01 PM

882 posts, read 1,669,548 times
Quote:

KoalaNJ

This is off topic, but it's not entirely accurate to say there are no apartments under 1000$ in NJ. They abound in South Jersey, even in nicer areas. Less so in North Jersey, and it is true that even most rentals in less affluent cities such as Newark are over 1000, but one can still find places scouring Criagslist or Trulia or Zillow. My brother rents a spacious 1-Bed in Parsippany for 1000/month. I have a friend who rents in Morristown off Western Avenue for 800. Now this doesn't really help the OP since he's looking for a place big enough for a family, but others out there reading this thread looking for rental info should not be discouraged.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:04 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,244 times
You "might" be able to find a basement level studio or one bedroomin an apartment building for <900/month but not much more. One of the worst things about NJ is the how much it costs to live here. Thankfully, wages ARE a bit higher here than in most parts of the country but not much higher.

If i were you I would draw a circle of how many miles you want to commute around where you will be working. Use the scale in the corner of the map to determine how big of a circle you will need. Then try to find the place that is furthest away from NYC and any major highway. These will be your first major factors to overcome high cost housing. Next would be to look for apartments and stay away from Condos, Duplexes or Detached Houses(SFH). I currently commute 50 miles (about 1.5hrs) each way.

I live in Edison and while it is NOT one of the more expensive places to live in NJ, a 3bd townhouse/duplex will start in the $1.7k/month area and can go up to $5k/month very fast for a SFH with land. AND you will usually have to pay for all utilities and yard maintenance on top of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey