Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 09:36 AM

4 posts, read 5,329 times

Advertisements

we used a realtor for a house we liked 3 months ago but the house did not work do to underground tank. Now we get a call on any other house from realtor and she says it is not listed and she is working for the seller but they are not paying her. they had purchased the house from the realtor and are now listing it with many upgrades/renovations. So she wants to sell it to us but tells me that if we do not buy it the seller will just hold on to it. She knows it would be a great house for us but I think she is deliberately overpricing it as she knows it meets all our criteria. I am tempted to just never use the realtor away as she is giving me a take the house at the offered price or the seller will not sell. Any opinions appreciated. I think the house is overpriced by 50K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 09:43 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,313,759 times
What's the problem? Your solution is three words: "No, thank you."

Old 04-20-2014, 10:08 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
What's the problem? Your solution is three words: "No, thank you."
No always works best.

Since she no longer works in your best interest find a new Agent.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:28 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
It is in your best interest to avoid dual agency. It is in your best interest to avoid agents who do not have a problem with attempting to represent both sides of a real estate transaction.

It is not always possible to avoid dual agency, but it usually is, and you should always try to find a route that allows you to have your own representation and your own advocate in the transaction.

Dual agency makes advocacy illegal. So, if your real estate agent cannot legally act as your advocate, why would you choose that? And worse, why would you work with an agent who is getting paid DOUBLE to act as an advocate for NOBODY? No loyalty to anyone, that is, except to themselves and that delicious double-paying deal...

Old 04-20-2014, 12:27 PM

have you ever heard of a realtor trying to sell a house that is "unlisted" and then telling the potential buyer if they do not buy it the seller is not selling.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:37 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyessex View Post
have you ever heard of a realtor trying to sell a house that is "unlisted" and then telling the potential buyer if they do not buy it the seller is not selling.
That sounds like a line of BS. If the property is unlisted, I would circumvent the agent entirely. Just knock on the door and go about your business.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:28 PM

988 posts, read 1,739,434 times
Quote:
Yes, that's considered a pocket listing; the issue you'll have with a pocket listing is that the seller is generally not motivated and holding out for an unrealistic price that tends to skew well above market.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:40 PM

seems like the realtor is trying to rob me. I will just find another house and a new realtor.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:42 PM

988 posts, read 1,739,434 times
Quote:
seems like the realtor is trying to rob me. I will just find another house and a new realtor.
this realtor is not out to rob you, just not representing your interests at all; let's not hyperbolize.
That being said, yes, find a new house and find a new realtor; ask your friends and family for recommendations for an agent you can think of as trustworthy and qualified to represent your best interests.
Good luck in your search!

Old 04-20-2014, 08:20 PM

289 posts, read 607,991 times
You could go see the house, if you really like it, then offer what you think is fair. The seller might or might not sell at your offered price.
Personally, I believe that in most business deals the person who brings money to the table has an upper hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey