Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 08:22 AM

36 posts, read 83,567 times
As a NJ-born gal living in Florida, my hair stands on end when people say "Oh, you're from New Joisey?" I reply that "no, I come from New Jersey." I also point out that I don't know anyone from NJ who speaks like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 08:31 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,579,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloggerQueen View Post
As a NJ-born gal living in Florida, my hair stands on end when people say "Oh, you're from New Joisey?" I reply that "no, I come from New Jersey." I also point out that I don't know anyone from NJ who speaks like that.
Sure there is. Joe Piscopo. He's the one that started the whole "you from joisey thing.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:01 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,340,761 times
I have a girlfriend who is from Dallas originally. Since she married a guy in the military, she lives in the Pacific Northwest. She was whiggin out when she found out they might get stationed in New Jersey.

I showed her all kinds of wonderful things about living there. I told her, you can get on a train and be in New York City in no time, or Washington DC. I showed her pictures from all over the state.

Its sad when people have no idea.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:45 PM

543 posts, read 1,452,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryancurious View Post
I have lived in NJ all my life and I think the "Big Hair" is just a NJ thing, mostly North NJ thing.
The "Big Hair" thing is mostly from the eighties. I live in Northern NJ and I rarely see women or even teenage girls have big hairstyles any more... if anything they are more into straightening their hair now.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:12 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,644,149 times
hey bloggerqueen...yeah, i can't recall anyone ever actually saying "joisey". some family we have in hudson county do tend to say "new jehsey" though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njchick View Post
The "Big Hair" thing is mostly from the eighties. I live in Northern NJ and I rarely see women or even teenage girls have big hairstyles any more... if anything they are more into straightening their hair now.
my senior yearbook from '89 is hilariously atrocious! girls and guys...lotsa hair and BIG!!

Old 12-30-2007, 05:37 PM

622 posts, read 3,107,653 times
Wow, loved that first post. I've read many threads about perceptions of NJ, but this is the first I've actually laughed at one. Thanks for that!

If they ever ask "Have you ever whacked someone?" Just tell them- "Sure, but only if they ask me if I ever whacked someone." ha!

Great thread, but I am a little shocked at how many people don't know what it's really like here. Interesting. Imagine everyone did know the facts. We already are crowded here. I'm sure the population would grow much more than it already is.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:03 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,340,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
So it was back on the road for this boy to yet another trade conference this past week, and this time it was in Daytona Beach.

Tuesday through yesterday, my group came in contact with many other people and of course our credentials around our neck show our name, company, position, and where we are based out of both individually and where corporate HQ is located. Well, these people see my name (a very Italian name) and New Jersey, so immediately they think I have some sort of connection to the mob.

I came in contact with this one woman who was from Ohio, and she sees New Jersey and immediately asks "why on earth would you live there?". Well, Irene Ignorant, they pay me well and I happen to like New Jersey (not love, but like). Another guy from Peoria, Illinois asks if I ever whacked anyone. LOL who asks that?

The best question of the week was from a guy whom resided in Utah. He point blank asks me if it's true that the Turnpike really does catch fire from time to time. LOL what?!?!?

So I asked these people if they've ever been to the Garden State and all three said (shockingly ) NO. Well when I got that NO, I asked what they think of when they think of Jersey. The Ohio girl thought it was all swamps with trash everywhere. The guy from Peoria thought we were a bunch of mobsters who only marry women with mall hair, and mister Utah thought...literally, it was always gray, everything was on fire, and we all lived in Newark.

As I got on that American Airlines flight last night bound for LaGuardia, (first class upgrade!) I sat next to Richard whom was from Riverhead, Long Island. After a while, we started talking and he asked if Hoboken was still a filthy run-down port town. I said no, and then he blurts out "wow, when I think of New Jersey, I think of mountain type people with dirt on their faces". I cracked up laughing, but quickly realized that he was dead serious.

I don't know about you guys, but I was taken back by just how negatively we are perceived. Does this bother me? Not at all, but is it hysterical? Absolutely!
All of that is just ignorence. I've actually never met anyone here that has thought that.
Btw, Riverhead isn't actually the nicest part of Long Island. Its at the end of the Long Island Expressway and parts of it are kind of Ghetto. I have been out that way many times . The last time was about 2 years ago.
Fyi, My Last name is very Italian , the first 4 letters are in my screen name, there are 5 more!
Diane G

Old 12-31-2007, 05:28 AM

36 posts, read 83,567 times
J1N, I'm actually from Hudson County....born & raised there....and just can't think of anyone I know (aside from Joe Piscipo) who "tawks" like that!

Old 12-31-2007, 07:38 AM

342 posts, read 1,789,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliann1977 View Post
This is interesting, of course, but does anyone know where to find quality of life based on cost of living adjustments? Are there statistics on that? If we look at this based on figures alone, we might say, "Oh those poor Mississippians--they're just poorer than dirt." But there's more to QOL than income alone, and rent in Jackson, Mississippi is a heck of a lot cheaper than in Cranford. KWIM?

Sorry, I was late seeing your post. We just were looking at cost comparisons last night. If you google "Cost of Living Comparisons," several sites come up. mod cut

As for the original topic, I myself must admit, that I had preconceived ideas of "New Jersey." So far what I have seen has been lovely. However, from what I have read, there are parts that I have no desire to see.

Last edited by Yac; 01-07-2008 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Old 12-31-2007, 07:51 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,644,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloggerQueen View Post
J1N, I'm actually from Hudson County....born & raised there....and just can't think of anyone I know (aside from Joe Piscipo) who "tawks" like that!
agreed. "joisey"...it's a misconception. that accent has more to do with an oldschool nyc accent than nj. in bayonne, i heard folks dropping (or glossing over) their "r's". but i don't think i ever really heard a "joisey" either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey