Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2014, 10:39 PM

10 posts, read 28,581 times

Advertisements

I've just accepted a new job in Princeton, and am looking to move at the end of June. I'm not at all familiar with central NJ and would appreciate any advice you could give on housing. I have three basic questions:
  1. Where in the area would you recommend I look? Here are the parameters: a) I like Princeton itself and would be happy living there but don't know if I can afford it. I'm pretty sure I need to stay under $2000/mo. b) If I have to commute, I'd prefer under 30 minutes. I'm a teacher and will need to be at work from 7:30am to 4:30 pm, so it will unfortunately be hard to avoid rush hour. c) I have a 55 pound dog and would prefer a small house with a yard over an apartment, and am not very fond of apartment complexes (which tend to prohibit dogs in any case).
  2. Where do you think I can find the most complete and up-to-date rental listings? There are so many online sites, but I don't know which are the best to focus on.
  3. I currently live in Utah and am thinking of flying into the Princeton area for a few days the second week of June to find a rental starting July 1st. Does that timing seem ok, or do you think I'll have trouble finding something just 2 1/2 weeks out?
Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 01:29 AM

3,021 posts, read 5,851,625 times
Suggest contacting a local realtor. Tell them your requirements. Finding a rental that will accept your dog will be the hardest part, unfortunately.

BTW, many buildings that have a Princeton mailing address are not actually in Princeton. Good idea to check on mapquest as to exactly where your work place is located (might not really be in Princeton itself.)

I think your timeframe for finding a rental is overly optimistic. You might stay at a hotel while apartment searching, such as The Marriott Residence Inn, which allows pets & has long-term rates. Each room has an oven, fridge, microwave.
Residence Inn Princeton-South Brunswick: Princeton Extended Stay Hotels

Old 04-21-2014, 05:32 AM

901 posts, read 2,248,668 times
Kendall park section of South Brunswick is where I'd be looking

Old 04-21-2014, 05:47 AM

400 posts, read 793,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Suggest contacting a local realtor. Tell them your requirements. Finding a rental that will accept your dog will be the hardest part, unfortunately.

BTW, many buildings that have a Princeton mailing address are not actually in Princeton. Good idea to check on mapquest as to exactly where your work place is located (might not really be in Princeton itself.)

I think your timeframe for finding a rental is overly optimistic. You might stay at a hotel while apartment searching, such as The Marriott Residence Inn, which allows pets & has long-term rates. Each room has an oven, fridge, microwave.
Residence Inn Princeton-South Brunswick: Princeton Extended Stay Hotels
I can't speak much but for Princeton itself, but I second finding a realtor.
Since you live out of state, a realtor will help in your search, pointing out which areas are good and which aren't and be able to help narrow your search. You're timeline is a bit right, but not too bad, since most landlords are looking for a tenant to occupy almost immediately. The only risk you run is having some listing that you thought you would love be rented out already.

Back to the realtor thing, I'm currently working with someone out of state and helping him to find a good home in the area -- I know the area, but he has no idea. So, in addition to sending him listings, I'm also answering questions about different towns, commute, restaurants, day cares, etc. and when he comes to tour the apartments, I'll act as a mini tour guide, taking him around these parts of NJ. So, even though you have to pay a realtor's fee when renting (usually), it might be worth the money.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:37 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,765 times
I work in Princeton and love it, there are many places that are dog friendly and you should find yourself pretty much squared away in two weeks fairly easy, I live close by in Hamilton which is minutes away from Princeton for me, and plenty of my co workers live at Cypress Gardens and Princeton Court apartments and I must confess, the apartments are beautiful with spacious rooms and hard wood floors. Anyways, I see that you prefer not to look at the apartment complexes but we do have some very beautiful apartment campus in our area that are dog friendly at around 1,100 to 1400.00. Good luck on you search and welcome to our area, you're going to love it with so much to do and see..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: