Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 10:10 AM

104 posts, read 312,842 times

Advertisements

Hey All

I am considering moving closer to Atlantic City as I play poker for a living. I want a nice safe area with a budget of 300k or less. Two areas I have looked at strictly online is Egg Harbor Township and Ventnor. Both seem to have some very nice properties on realtor.com

My questions are these....

1- How far are both locations from Atlantic City?

2- What are the hospitals in the area called as my wife is a Nurse so need to make sure she is not headed to a dumpy hospital.

3- Can you give me any insight to Egg Harbor Township or Ventnor? The more the better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 10:15 AM

Even can add info on Somers Point or Linwood if possible. Safe location is key if someone can give me a feedback on all 4 places.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:32 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Ventnor is right next to AC you could walk to the Trop along the boardwalk. The part right next to AC is cheaper and more diverse very mixed income levels, as you get closer to Margate it gets more $$$ with summer homes, etc. AC Medical Center is right in downtown AC, employees park in the Caesar's parking garage. It is one of the best hospitals in the area, run by Atlanticare, who also has a branch in Galloway (another decent area) which is a pretty newish top of the line hospital. Betty Bacharach Rehab center is also in Galloway. EHT is decent, but in summer driving to AC will be trafficy and annoying. Same with Somers Point or Linwood (which I think may be over your budget anyway, especially Linwood). There is a hospital in Somers Point, Shore Memorial. It's okay but AC's has a better rep (I am in heath care)

Old 04-23-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Ventnor is right next to AC you could walk to the Trop along the boardwalk. The part right next to AC is cheaper and more diverse very mixed income levels, as you get closer to Margate it gets more $$$ with summer homes, etc. AC Medical Center is right in downtown AC, employees park in the Caesar's parking garage. It is one of the best hospitals in the area, run by Atlanticare, who also has a branch in Galloway (another decent area) which is a pretty newish top of the line hospital. Betty Bacharach Rehab center is also in Galloway. EHT is decent, but in summer driving to AC will be trafficy and annoying. Same with Somers Point or Linwood (which I think may be over your budget anyway, especially Linwood). There is a hospital in Somers Point, Shore Memorial. It's okay but AC's has a better rep (I am in heath care)
Thanks for the info, What can you tell me about Egg Harbor?

Old 04-23-2014, 05:24 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duvdar View Post
Thanks for the info, What can you tell me about Egg Harbor?
A mixed bag--it's a large, sprawling township with everything ranging from trailer parks to high-end housing developments. You can probably find something decent within your budget. Northfield and Somers Point would work too. Linwood is a possibility.

I'm not up on my Ventnor real estate, but I have the feeling that if you stick to the bay end, you can find something nice in a decent section (the lower half of Ventnor is nicer than the upper half). Margate (and definitely Longport) are beyond your price range. You might like Brigantine, which is north of AC. A bit more isolated though.

Stay away from Shore Memorial. There's a reason the retirees go to Cherry Hill/Philly for medical care whenever possible. Atlantic City can do in a pinch.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:15 PM

929 posts, read 1,658,893 times
Living the dream. Good luck to you. I'm a semi-pro poker player myself, but not at that level ("for a living") yet.

Ventnor isn't bad. If you have $$, I'd recommend Longport. If you drive, I recommend Brigantine. It's an island, 24/7 bars, peaceful, low crime, and only a mile from Harrah's and the Borgata. Only way onto the island is through AC, so it's kind of like part of AC, but with much different demographics. Ted Kennedy's (rather wealthy) son lives in Brigantine, yet it's afforable.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:26 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Margate is very nice. I don't know about real estate prices there though.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Margate is very nice. I don't know about real estate prices there though.
SFH will be tough. $300k usually gets you a condo. Sometimes you can pull a small house.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:09 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
I didn't mention Margate or Longport because I know there's little there for $300,000 or less. Ironically though, you can often rent a home yearly there for much less than you can buy one (not Longport, that is Mainline money and very high end). Ventnor in the area closer to AC is more affordable. Egg Harbor Twp, except for the traffic, would be fine, it's a decent area and there will be homes in your price range. Stay away from Egg Harbor CITY, however, it is not the same as Township. I still think Galloway would be worth a look. Linwood is a very $$$ area, Somers Point more reasonable but still high, and to me a pain driving to AC and back in summer. Most of the tourists coming to Ocean City go through Somers Point, and go out to dinner and the bars there since OC is dry. To be honest, I would never buy any home in an area I haven't lived before. I'd rent first and see how you like it, and see where your wife finds work.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:13 AM

There are a number of homes for sale in Linwood and Northfield under $300k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey