Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 08:14 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Winter Soldier View Post
Just thought I'd share what I hope is an isolated case of extreme gas price gouging at a Luk-Oil gas station here in Voorhees, NJ.

To anyone familiar with the area, it's located on Haddonfield-Berlin Rd (Route 561), not far from Exit 32 (Haddonfield/Voorhees exit) off of Rte. 295.

Tony's Luk-Oil charges an astronomical price of $3.98 per gallon for Regular Unleaded (cash and credit are same price BTW ). I believe he was up to around $4.20 per gallon Regular not all that long ago. If his prices fluctuate, it's always UP, never down!

ALL of the other stations in the immediate & surrounding areas have lower prices ranging from $3.35 - $3.69 per gallon.

He's a one man operation and also has a service facility on site (Lord only knows what he charges for repairs!).

I drive by this station every morning, laugh and shake my head. There are rarely any cars gassing up there, with the exception of an occasional well-heeled guy with a $80-90k BMW or MB.

Some folks on Yelp think it's a mob owned station...no idea about that. Just wondering what possible rationale he could have for charging extremely high prices that exceed even PA prices...highest I've seen in PA today for Regular is $3.84.

I think I know one of the reasons WHY, but it wouldn't be PC to state that here

Check this out for proof of this madness:

Voorhees Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Voorhees, New Jersey

Yelp 1 Star Reviews:

Tony's Lukoil - Voorhees, NJ | Yelp

There was a story in the Courier Post many years ago about that station when I lived nearby and drove by there every day. It was a Mobil back then, I believe. They've been gouging people for at least three decades.

Now, another place near where I live, the Gulf on Rt. 1 in Princeton, also gouges people. Their prices are usually 50 cents higher than the Getty across the street, the Sunoco half a mile to the north or the Lukoil half a mile to the south. I don't know how they stay in business with nobody buying their gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 08:22 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,773,597 times
If you do not like it, do not go there. Some people are probably willing to pay the price to never have to wait. I see nothing wrong with it when people have other options

Old 04-26-2014, 06:58 AM

414 posts, read 931,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
If you do not like it, do not go there. Some people are probably willing to pay the price to never have to wait. I see nothing wrong with it when people have other options
No worries on that at ALL! This gas station will NEVER see any business from me!

There are several other stations along Rte. 561 to choose from...and there are enough of them so that I either have no wait or just a short wait.

I was just curious as to what motivates Tony to keep his prices so damn high. But someone mentioned that he may be making more $$ from car repairs vs. pumping gas. This may be true as some of the well heeled locals driving the high end cars may be throwing some business his way.

Maybe it's some mob related tie-in since it IS Luk-Oil. Who knows.......

Old 04-26-2014, 10:13 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,773,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Winter Soldier View Post
No worries on that at ALL! This gas station will NEVER see any business from me!

There are several other stations along Rte. 561 to choose from...and there are enough of them so that I either have no wait or just a short wait.

I was just curious as to what motivates Tony to keep his prices so damn high. But someone mentioned that he may be making more $$ from car repairs vs. pumping gas. This may be true as some of the well heeled locals driving the high end cars may be throwing some business his way.

Maybe it's some mob related tie-in since it IS Luk-Oil. Who knows.......
maybe it is for people that driving their $100K car and waiting 10 minutes for gas is not worth the $10 they save

Old 04-26-2014, 10:49 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
Exactly!
Charging a higher price is not "gouging" anyone if the customers are purchasing it voluntarily while the same product is available in abundance--elsewhere--for a lower price.

Gas stations are required to post their gas prices on signs with a fairly large font, so that it can be read from a distance. If somebody chooses to either...not check and compare prices, or...make that purchase regardless of the price disparity...it isn't "gouging". It is simply a case of...A fool and his money are soon parted.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:06 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
I fill up at Hess. Supporting NJ all the way .

But seriously, why does Sunoco charge INSANE, and I mean INSANE prices per gallon in comparison to surrounding gas stations. This happens not only in NJ, but all over the US. Honestly, what's Wrong with Sunoco.

Odd thing is that the hess along route 1 and finnegans has opened a new dunkin donut, while there is another dunkin donut just 500 ft south .

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 04-26-2014 at 06:27 PM..

Old 04-27-2014, 07:20 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,560 times
There is a station on 9W in Englewood Cliffs that does this also.

I really don't understand what they are thinking - they have an absurdly good location and are almost always empty because their prices are so inflated. They could retain a 10 cent premium or so and be constantly packed despite that due to where they are located and make absolute bank, but instead they price at 30-50 cents over and are perpetually empty. I don't get it.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,355 times
I guess that the owner does not want to run the gas business (there is not much money in it anyway). Maybe he/she wants to just run the repair shop and zoning laws require that the piece of property be a gas station.

There used to be one at the intersection of Wood Ave and Rt 27 in Edison that was charging $1 more for a galoon than the one across the street.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:45 AM

189 posts, read 262,386 times
There is a Gulf gas station near my gym that is always $1 more than the other gas stations maybe 2 minutes up the road. To entertain my curiosity I stopped and asked the attendant why the prices are so much higher, and he said he had no idea why but it must work since their still in business.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:01 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
There's a similar station on Pleasant Valley & Mt Pleasant in West Orange. It's an Exxon, typically 20-40 cents higher than nearby stations. No idea how they stay in business.
Exxon/Mobil is virtually always at least 10 cents higher than nearby gas stations. I'm trying to picture the one you're mentioning. is that by metropolitan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey