Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 10:46 PM

156 posts, read 486,242 times

Advertisements

Another fellow SHU alumni here. Great school - got a fantastic education. One of my nieces currently attends and is graduating this year.

Unfortunately, there is not much in the way of hotels right in South Orange, that's true. Kind of surprising that there isn't, actually.

Whenever my family has come here either to visit her or for whatever other reasons, they also like to go into NYC so they have stayed somewhere that's "half way" like Secaucus (which has TONS of hotels, varying in prices) or in Paramus so they can have access to shopping also. Neither is "right there" to SHU but both are around a 30ish minute drive or so depending on traffic. Of the 2 Secaucus is probably a little easier since you can jump on the Turnpike there up to Rt 280.

Which method you take into the city really depends on where you want to go when you are there, though. There are some hotels also which are closer to the city (like the ones in Secaucus) which have easy access to a bus that will take you to Port Authority if you are going to the touristy spots like Rockefeller, Times Square etc. If you are going to the World Trade Center area, or Greenwich Village, or anywhere between 9th and 33rd Street, then the PATH is easier. If you happen to be going to Macy's at Herald Square, the PATH drops you off literally right there.

Honestly though, if you have access to a car while you're here and you are going where the PATH goes - you can stay anywhere and just drive to Jersey City or Hoboken and take the PATH there which is a very short trip and less complicated right now than taking it from Newark etc. Yes, you will need to find a place to park but if you go via Hoboken there are a lot of garages within a couple blocks of the station and some are even not ridiculous. (Tip: There's one in the building where PNC bank is on River Street which is about 2-3 blocks from the PATH station and the least expensive one I've found - and I've tried them all.)

Good luck and GO PIRATES!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 09:32 AM

390 posts, read 1,367,637 times
As someone else mentioned, South Orange has its own direct train line into the city. About a half an hour ride to NY Penn Station. No need for the PATH.

South Orange itself is a beautiful town, and would be a nice place to stay. In nearby Montclair, a lot of people rent out rooms in large, old Victorian homes. Looks like they do the same in South Orange: https://www.airbnb.com/s/South-Orange--NJ

This one looks especially nice, close to the college and train: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/216848?s=zB6h

That's what I would do! You could enjoy beautiful South Orange, its gaslights, trees, and homes sitting on a porch, then take a quick, half an hour train ride into the city!

Last edited by labcjo; 04-26-2014 at 09:50 AM..

Old 04-26-2014, 11:22 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
There are several hotels in West Orange that are only about 15 minutes from Seton Hall.

Courtyard by Marriott
Residence Inn by Marriott
Wilshire Grand Hotel

Old 05-02-2014, 03:22 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,289 times
There's a lovely B&B in Maplewood, the next town over. It's closer to Seton Hall than any of the hotels in the area. Like South Orange, Maplewood has a NJT train station with nonstop service into the city.

Les Saisons (Maplewood, NJ) - B&B Reviews - TripAdvisor

Old 05-02-2014, 07:27 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
There are several hotels in West Orange that are only about 15 minutes from Seton Hall.

Courtyard by Marriott
Residence Inn by Marriott
Wilshire Grand Hotel
i was going to recommend, but then transportation to NYC would mean driving to Secaucus Jct i guess?

Old 05-03-2014, 06:49 AM

12 posts, read 14,434 times
I would suggest to stay at the Hyatt House in Morristown. It's actually located at the border of Florham Park and Morristown not to be confused with the Hyatt in the center of Morristown. It is at the corner if Park Avenue and Columbia Tpk. It is one one straight road to get to Seton Hall as Columbia Tpk turns into South Orange Avenue. It will take you around 20 min and is 11 miles away. It is two minutes from the Madison train station and the Convent Station train station that will bring you directly to NYC. It is a very safe area. I believe they also serve a free breakfast in the morning.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 4,199 times
Just wanted to update that we ended up staying at the Hampton Inn in Harrison. They have a shuttle to Newark Penn Station (only about a mile away) and it's only 5 miles to Seton Hall from there. It worked out pretty good, it was a quick trip into NYC and it's a much nicer hotel than I could find closer to Seton Hall. Thanks again for all the suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey