Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 06:42 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
The highway fund is broke, and we're badly behind on infrastructure maintenance and repair as-is. Either you raise the gas tax, or you find some other funding mechanism. What's your alternative?
well, we are certainly not undertaxed so they will have to pull money from another revenue stream or make some kind of cuts. just because our gas taxes arent high doesnt change the fact that we are one of or the highest tax states in the nation. government money is fungible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 08:06 AM

512 posts, read 1,018,462 times
Government money is not fungible. The state can not take property taxes away from the muni's. Do you even understand the difference between local and state taxes? Do you understand where the income/property/sales/gas taxes go? Do you even understand that home rule is killing the state in terms of property taxes? That our roads were built decades before most other states? That we have harsh winters that dont exist in texas and florida.

If you are a home owner in NJ your property taxes are really high because of paying for the school district and in some cases paying for basket cases like Newark, Camden, and Trenton.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:13 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
Government money is not fungible. The state can not take property taxes away from the muni's. Do you even understand the difference between local and state taxes? Do you understand where the income/property/sales/gas taxes go? Do you even understand that home rule is killing the state in terms of property taxes? That our roads were built decades before most other states? That we have harsh winters that dont exist in texas and florida.

If you are a home owner in NJ your property taxes are really high because of paying for the school district and in some cases paying for basket cases like Newark, Camden, and Trenton.
So then we can agree that the Democratic state NJ has had a problem of mismanagement for a very long time ? We can not allocate and disburse monies properly? Might as well throw in some 10 year olds to run this state.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:44 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
Government money is not fungible. The state can not take property taxes away from the muni's.
government money is fungible. the state may not be able to take whatever it wants from munis but it can reallocate its own money cant it? take from one place, give to another. the state has an income tax doesn't it? a google search shows me that in 2012, nj had the 3rd highest state income tax in the country. so the state has the money to take from one place and move to another. it has just chosen an allocation of funds that may underfund roads. im not gonna agree to make up the difference by paying more taxes. we pay enough. you want to increase my gas tax? fine. then reduce my income tax by an equivalent amount so that there is no net gain in taxes I pay.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:05 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
So then we can agree that the Democratic state NJ has had a problem of mismanagement for a very long time ? We can not allocate and disburse monies properly? Might as well throw in some 10 year olds to run this state.
IMO "YESSSSSSSS" I agree to the first part.

10 year olds: It sure would be worth a try as I'll bet they'll most likely reason with logic and make sense.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:08 PM

136 posts, read 224,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Do you know why we have so many individual school districts and municipalities? It was because wealthy landowners and farmers around the turn of the last century wanted to avoid paying taxes to the local "urban towns" and formed their own "towns." These towns consisted of only a few landowners so the taxes remained low while high taxes permeated through more densely populated downs. Eventually the rich landowners developed their lands and no these towns have high taxes too screwing everyone over. These towns were also given the same weight historically, due to "home rule," that the major cities of NJ have, arguably keeping the cities weak and underperforming.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:11 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsx1187 View Post
Do you know why we have so many individual school districts and municipalities? It was because wealthy landowners and farmers around the turn of the last century wanted to avoid paying taxes to the local "urban towns" and formed their own "towns." These towns consisted of only a few landowners so the taxes remained low while high taxes permeated through more densely populated downs. Eventually the rich landowners developed their lands and no these towns have high taxes too screwing everyone over. These towns were also given the same weight historically, due to "home rule," that the major cities of NJ have, arguably keeping the cities weak and underperforming.
Cities underperforming I agree with.

Weak? No way. They get more than their fair of the redistribution of tax moneys with very little accounting for how it's spent.

Our urban areas are the highest spenders in the state.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:03 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Cities underperforming I agree with.

Weak? No way. They get more than their fair of the redistribution of tax moneys with very little accounting for how it's spent.

Our urban areas are the highest spenders in the state.
Agreed +1

Old 04-29-2014, 07:28 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I bet their roads are gonna pretty sweet with all that money going to fixing them up!
well I know you love to joke about these things, but Pennsylvania has 25,000 bridges. 3rd most of any state in the USA, but they have the most bridges with an average age of 50 yrs or more. they're currently changing the weight restrictions on 1,000 bridges to keep those bridges safe. that means certain traffic will no longer be able to use 1,000 bridges in Pennsylvania, largely because of the condition of the bridge. In the past 5 years, the state has spent $670M on 2,700 bridges to keep them off that list of bridges that would need weight restrictions changed.

You can poke fun all you want, but maintaining infrastructure ain't free.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:29 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, right what a joke, they didn't really use it before, then there was an election and God only knows where all that money in PA is going now, I'm telling you, the people in this country are so stupid and unformed, including me.

What election? Tom Corbett has been Governor since 2011.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey