Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 07:04 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
If i have to tell some rube from Iowa how to use the njtransit.com site to figure out commuting times to NYC I'm gonna lose it. These threads are like mindless reality tv. City-data's bag of Doritos.

Now back to the topic...should little towns with more than enough Barney Fifes on the force even be allowing OT?
I dont think OT should even exist to be honest with you. My friend is a sergeant in West Orange, and i am buddies with a few other guys and some sheriffs. When you see a cop directing traffic or watching PSE&G do work, they are getting paid anywhere from 50-75 bucks PER hour. A lot of cops take whats called "side jobs". They throw them around to their "buddies" .

The amount of money being spent on overtime could be paid to a fresh young new recruit, which would not only give time to the cops so they can go home and rest but also to spend time with their family. Give the new guys the graveyard shift hours. MANY MANY times , my buddies complain they have been working NON stop from regular hours to OT hours, they get BURNT out, then thats when it all starts building up mentally for them. Cops have a high rate of divorce, and now we are seeing police brutality on the rise.

The pay structure is messed up, a Chief sits inside and does NOTHING but gets paid the most?.. There needs to be a different kind of structure. These people should be working normal full time hours with some rotating schedules. This would be fair to everyone and would allow more time for a normal life for everyone.

They also need to manage some programs that waste money as well within. Im not an expert or anything, and this is all just my opinion but i really do see how a lot of money is just being thrown around. I am not saying the job is easy or not worth it , but hey every job comes with a requirement and duty.

I remember years ago when cops would work INSANE over time to boost up their averaged income of the last 2-3 years before they retired so their pensions would now come from a salary of 180-275k but before that were averaging 100k. I understand that has been capped but that is for only the newer cops coming on board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 07:12 AM

929 posts, read 1,659,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
In NJ the average police officer's compensation is $40,000 higher that the average teacher.
The disparity should be higher. Do cops, whose lives are in danger every day, get summers and weekends off?

NJ public schools are mediocre. We don't all have kids, but we all need police.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:52 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
[quote=EBWick;34559553]If i have to tell some rube from Iowa how to use the njtransit.com site to figure out commuting times to NYC I'm gonna lose it. These threads are like mindless reality tv. City-data's bag of Doritos.

Now back to the topic...should little towns with more than enough Barney Fifes on the force even be allowing OT?[/QUOTE]

Okay putting my popcorn down just to answer this...if by OT you mean at construction road sites, the contractor requests it and the contractor pays the OT. Sadly because many people unless they see a cop don't obey the reduced speed limits, if part of the road is closed and you have one way traffic people adhere to the cop instead of the silly kid with a sign

Back to my popcorn

Old 04-28-2014, 09:02 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
they should pay what it takes to fulfill the need. my guess is that in most nj towns you can fill the need with much less than is offered. police are much more likely to murder an innocent person or an innocent dog than to lose their own lives. in general, its a pretty easy job with nice perks. I believe in Hawaii they can bang prostitutes legally.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
I dont think OT should even exist to be honest with you. My friend is a sergeant in West Orange, and i am buddies with a few other guys and some sheriffs. When you see a cop directing traffic or watching PSE&G do work, they are getting paid anywhere from 50-75 bucks PER hour. A lot of cops take whats called "side jobs". They throw them around to their "buddies" .

The amount of money being spent on overtime could be paid to a fresh young new recruit, which would not only give time to the cops so they can go home and rest but also to spend time with their family. Give the new guys the graveyard shift hours. MANY MANY times , my buddies complain they have been working NON stop from regular hours to OT hours, they get BURNT out, then thats when it all starts building up mentally for them. Cops have a high rate of divorce, and now we are seeing police brutality on the rise.

The pay structure is messed up, a Chief sits inside and does NOTHING but gets paid the most?.. There needs to be a different kind of structure. These people should be working normal full time hours with some rotating schedules. This would be fair to everyone and would allow more time for a normal life for everyone.

They also need to manage some programs that waste money as well within. Im not an expert or anything, and this is all just my opinion but i really do see how a lot of money is just being thrown around. I am not saying the job is easy or not worth it , but hey every job comes with a requirement and duty.

I remember years ago when cops would work INSANE over time to boost up their averaged income of the last 2-3 years before they retired so their pensions would now come from a salary of 180-275k but before that were averaging 100k. I understand that has been capped but that is for only the newer cops coming on board.
No different than the CEO of some fortune 500 co making millions while the worker bees get much much less.
How do you know he does nothing..sheesh at least know what you're talking about when making these broad statements.

I knew this was going to evolve into a cop bashing thread...just knew it..

Old 04-28-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
No different than the CEO of some fortune 500 co making millions while the worker bees get much much less.
How do you know he does nothing..sheesh at least know what you're talking about when making these broad statements.

I knew this was going to evolve into a cop bashing thread...just knew it..
Its not a broad statement, when you move up into a Chief position that is like retirement... Ask any cop and he/she will tell you chiefs get over paid.

The CEOs you are talking about have millions and billions at stake, and are responsible for a company that employees hundreds if not thousands. I dont pay taxes to a CEO , but i pay taxes to cops.

This is not a thread to bash but to talk about reality, that is if you can accept it.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Its not a broad statement, when you move up into a Chief position that is like retirement... Ask any cop and he/she will tell you chiefs get over paid.

The CEOs you are talking about have millions and billions at stake, and are responsible for a company that employees hundreds if not thousands. I dont pay taxes to a CEO , but i pay taxes to cops.

This is not a thread to bash but to talk about reality, that is if you can accept it.
I know plenty of cops never heard one complain that their chief was overpaid. A chief gets to that position working his way up the ladder with plenty of street time.

I'll quote one of my friends when he hears people complaining...You should of took the test

and everyone seems to over look one tiny detail...PUBLIC SERVANTS PAY TAXES TOO!!

Nope it will turn into a major bash...watch and see

Old 04-28-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I know plenty of cops never heard one complain that their chief was overpaid. A chief gets to that position working his way up the ladder with plenty of street time.

I'll quote one of my friends when he hears people complaining...You should of took the test

and everyone seems to over look one tiny detail...PUBLIC SERVANTS PAY TAXES TOO!!

Nope it will turn into a major bash...watch and see
I know they pay taxes too, but in the end they make out BIG time with their pensions and benefits. Well thats what your cop friends say and my cop friends say something differently, nothing wrong with it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion as we have the freedom of speech , now to say it is bashing that is just an observation and how YOU might interpret it. You like chocolate , i dont like chocolate .. See how it works

Old 04-28-2014, 10:19 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Cops in other states make what teachers make. And that's reasonable for the actual services they perform. Only in the northeast does "policing" practically make one a millionaire. And with it all the unwarranted attitude.

Trust me, the collective intelligence of the rubes on my hometown's force doesn't even surpass room temperature.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I know they pay taxes too, but in the end they make out BIG time with their pensions and benefits. Well thats what your cop friends say and my cop friends say something differently, nothing wrong with it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion as we have the freedom of speech , now to say it is bashing that is just an observation and how YOU might interpret it. You like chocolate , i dont like chocolate .. See how it works
You should have taked the civil service exam...just saying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey