Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 06:25 PM

49 posts, read 85,139 times

Advertisements

Hello all --

1. Which central NJ grocery store could someone like myself may benefit with couponing? I am not looking to do extreme couponing, but I was curious if anyone knew of any stores where they might fully double $1? I googled up some ShopRites and some stores had a regular double and a fully double system, with the FD stores being at minimum two hours from where I plan to live.

2. Do you have any stores that are a "Costco/BJ's" liquidation store? The products may have dented boxes or cans and items would tend to be cheaper. I am not looking for a store that would sell expired products although I do understand that is legal. We have a store here in Maryland called Scratch & Dent and some shoppers have told me that there is nothing remotely close to this in NJ so anything I see I want to buy it while I am living in Maryland.

I am very excited to be moving to your state by the end of the year, hopefully. To try some of the sausages in Ironbound, your beaches and gardens. One of my mentor teacher's grew up in NJ and everytime I mentioned to her I was planning to live there with my bf she became homesick. She said that there were certain things she could only get in NJ and not in MD, but her husband wanted to be near his family and they frequently visited your state. I need to finish my master's. Currently live in Baltimore and did my undergrad in NC. Thank you for taking the time to read this and thank you for your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 12:43 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,848,287 times
I don't know of a store that doubles coupons valued at $1. or more. Some stores will double coupons up to 99 cents, some stores don't double at all.

Where you shop will depend on what town you live. Central Jersey is a big area. I use ShopRite and Wegman's and Target. You have to compare prices on each item you buy. One store may be much cheaper on one item, but higher than the other stores on another.

I've never heard of a store in NJ that sells discounted expired products. Not sure it's legal ?

Last edited by daliowa; 04-28-2014 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 04-28-2014, 01:34 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
im not aware of anyone doubling $1 coupons. a while back, pathmark had a few special days where they would double higher value coupons, maybe up to $2 or so. that hasn't happened in a long time but doubling up to .99 is standard in these parts.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:01 PM

414 posts, read 930,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
I don't know of a store that doubles coupons valued at $1. or more. Some stores will double coupons up to 99 cents, some stores don't double at all.

Where you shop will depend on what town you live. Central Jersey is a big area. I use ShopRite and Wegman's and Target. You have to compare prices on each item you buy. One store may be much cheaper on one item, but higher than the other stores on another.

I've never heard of a store in NJ that sells discounted expired products. Not sure it's legal ?

I was just at an Acme Market here in South Jersey over the weekend. They had several containers of Fiber Choice chewables that had expired 12/13 and had a clearance tag and price of $6.24 vs. $13.00 or so.

I found only ONE that had a June or July 2014 expiration date and bought it.

My guess is that stores can get away with this with certain types of items.

What really disturbs me though is that this same Acme store in Voorhees at times will have things like liquid coffee creamer or refrigerated boxed juices on their shelves with expired dates (i.e. 3/14 date).

If I can find a store employee or manager nearby, I'll normally alert them about this and they usually remove it.

Just wish they were more vigilant about this kind of stuff. But I suppose they take a loss, if they have to discard or return an item like this to the manufacturer...so they play "let's leave it on the shelf and hope someone is in a rush, buys it and is too lazy to bring it back"??

Not sure how other folks are...but I'm very anal when it comes to checking exp. dates and will reach all the way into the back of a refrigerated area to get a better expiration date...

Last edited by The Winter Soldier; 04-28-2014 at 08:19 PM..

Old 04-28-2014, 07:41 PM

From the NJ Dep't. of Health site:
http://www.state.nj.us/health/foodan...ty/faq.shtml#4

"What do the dates on food packages mean?

New Jersey only requires that bottled water and fluid milk products (milk, flavored milks, creams, yogurt, etc.) have a shelf-life expiration date on the package. The other dates that appear on many other food products are quality, “best when used by” or production dates applied by the food manufacturer to assist the consumer in either purchasing their product or to more clearly recognize food that may have been subject to recall."

Last edited by daliowa; 04-28-2014 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 04-28-2014, 07:47 PM

I also check the dates on all the food I buy for my family. I'm sure that the supermarkets figure in the cost of spoilage when they price items.

Many years ago there was a supermarket in Hoboken (long gone now.) All their food would have long gone expiration dates. This went on for awhile until the health department put them out of business. Everyone in Hoboken was thrilled when that store closed.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:11 PM

31 posts, read 59,129 times
This list might help you from Cindy over at Living Rich with coupons Double & fully double I believe not sure if its fully up to date now . I used to do a lot of shopping like that but kids grown and not that much traffic in and out of the house so stopped a long time ago...

ShopRite Double Coupon Stores | Living Rich With Coupons®Living Rich With Coupons®

Hope its ok that I post this here.. If not Mod let me know..

Old 04-29-2014, 06:24 AM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2good View Post

Which central NJ grocery store could someone like myself may benefit with couponing?

Huh?
Are you trying to benefit yourself or are you trying somehow to benefit a store?
The way that your first sentence is written implies that you are trying to benefit the store, and...somehow...I doubt if that is your mission.

Can you clarify this for us?

Old 04-29-2014, 10:58 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsaver View Post
This list might help you from Cindy over at Living Rich with coupons Double & fully double I believe not sure if its fully up to date now . I used to do a lot of shopping like that but kids grown and not that much traffic in and out of the house so stopped a long time ago...

ShopRite Double Coupon Stores | Living Rich With Coupons®Living Rich With Coupons®

Hope its ok that I post this here.. If not Mod let me know..
that's interesting. I haven't encountered an RD store, looks like they pretty much go by county. that would suck. being able to double coupons to get above $1 discount is critical for getting super deals.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
that's interesting. I haven't encountered an RD store, looks like they pretty much go by county. that would suck. being able to double coupons to get above $1 discount is critical for getting super deals.

It seems that ShopRite supermarkets are not all owned by the same person.
ShopRite About Us » ShopRite
"The cooperative is comprised of 45 members who individually own and operate supermarkets under the ShopRite banner. "

That explains why coupon policies may vary from store-to-store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey