Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 01:01 PM

702 posts, read 540,637 times

Advertisements

Shocking, I know.

https://www.nj.com/politics/index.ss...n_man_con.html

Quote:
Jeff Edelstein, a fill-in host for the station and a columnist for the Trentonian, said on the air that in his newspaper job he has the benefit taking time to write columns.
"There are eyes on my stuff," Edelstein said. "I have time on my side. I can edit. (I can) go back."
But, he said, radio is different.
"No editing. The only filter that I have is my brain," Edelstein said.

"The point I'm making is that we are working here on a razor wire," he said. "Things come into your mind, sometimes they come out of your mouth. I can't speak for Dennis and Judi, ... is what came out of their mouth offensive? Yeah, it can be. I think it can be construed that way."

lol, yeah, like how do radio hosts last an entire hour without just screaming the 'n' word? They're the real heroes. I write my newspaper columns and the editors just pull out all the racial slurs for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 03:29 PM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Back in the '90s, I heard that jerk, Jim Gearheart, utter racially-offensive commentaries on more than one occasion. As a result, I sent a letter to the management of that station, but I did not receive the courtesy of a response.

The last straw was when Gearheart took a phone call from someone who identified himself as "Jay", and who obviously had originated on the Indian Subcontinent. In addition to being rude to that man simply because he had a differing opinion on a particular topic, after ending the call, Gearheart said, "I don't think that a guy like that could possibly have a name like Jay".

Aside from the reality that anyone can call himself whatever nickname he might want to use, there is the other--really big--probability that the caller's name was Sanjay. However, a blatant racist like Gearheart would be unlikely to have sufficient cultural knowledge to even be aware of that name.

After that particularly offensive outburst by Gearheart, I have never listened to that station again, and I think that anyone who purports to be "shocked" by the latest incident is probably unaware of the long-term pattern of racism on that station.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:14 PM

4,183 posts, read 5,066,168 times
Gerheart was a complete ass-clown, I think they kept him on the air just to annoy people (which, ironically, keeps them tuning in). From what I see in the news, Spadea has replaced the old coot as the resident rabble rouser.

I used to listen to 101.5 just for the traffic -- but, thankfully, there are now plenty of other sources.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:14 PM

11,350 posts, read 16,714,274 times
Racist only because they're conservatives.

Otherwise, free pass.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:28 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,631,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post

Otherwise, free pass.
Bingo, Whoopi calls the judge, a middle easterner a sand ni----ger and spits at her and she's a hero to some. I agree, a double standard. If you fire Roseanne, and most likely fire these two, fire Whoopi.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:14 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,345,217 times
Judi is as annoying as Roseanne and Whoopi.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:20 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,316,919 times
NJ 101.5 still exists? Still garbage, I see.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:22 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,263,463 times
Probably just should have called him a "bastard" and a "rotten prick"....

I thought Sikh was a religion, not a race?

IMO this issue was completely blown out of proportion & Murphy got involved b/c he doesn't like the fact that the station exists & the "personalities" don't always agree with or support him.

And all of the fat shaming re: Chris Christie that went on here? Please.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:28 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,263,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack2000 View Post
Shocking, I know.

https://www.nj.com/politics/index.ss...n_man_con.html

lol, yeah, like how do radio hosts last an entire hour without just screaming the 'n' word? They're the real heroes. I write my newspaper columns and the editors just pull out all the racial slurs for me.
Apparently what Dennis said (and I heard this today on 101.5, not yesterday during the Dennis & Judi show) is that he didn't know how to pronounce Gurbir Grewal's name so since he wears a turban, he was going to refer to him as "turban man".

Old 07-26-2018, 07:38 PM

4,183 posts, read 5,066,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post

Otherwise, free pass.

Like the one commenter said, call a jewish man "yamaka man" and see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey