Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 03:11 PM

7 posts, read 14,600 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if anyone who lives in Franklin, or greater Princeton knows of any vineyards in the area. Thanks to LivingSocial, I discovered Terhune Orchards in Princeton. I'm just wondering if there are any others that are local to the area, or better yet, any wine trails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 05:13 PM

19,037 posts, read 25,112,413 times
Wait...
Let me Google that for you!

This is the Wine Trail closest to Franklin Twp:

Garden State Wine Growers Association - Wine Trails

Old 04-29-2014, 05:21 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,048,304 times
I hear some of the ex-cons of Franklin make some excellent Rahway State hooch. Vibrant hints of Welch's grape juice and rolled cigarette tobacco give this unique Somerset Valley blend a clean, earthy taste. Like the first day outdoors after a 5 year stretch for armed robbery.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Wait...
Let me Google that for you!

This is the Wine Trail closest to Franklin Twp:

Garden State Wine Growers Association - Wine Trails

Thanks, but already found that link (I Google, too ). I was hoping there were other vineyards within town, not spread across the state. I went wine tasting in Northern Virginia several times, and the areas we go to have several vineyards within town. I figured that perhaps there are vineyards without websites that I wouldn't know about just from doing a Google search, and that's why I am turning to this forum for feedback from locals.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynnzie View Post
). I was hoping there were other vineyards within town, not spread across the state.
While Franklin Twp has an incredible amount of state park land, and open spaces, and some farms (including the last dairy farm in Somerset County), there are no vineyards w/in the town--or even very close to town. The closest vineyard is probably Old York Cellars, located on Old York Road in Ringoes.

From the Somerset section of Franklin Twp, you would take Amwell Road westbound until it changes to Old York Road, and the total travel time would probably be ~35 minutes.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
While Franklin Twp has an incredible amount of state park land, and open spaces, and some farms (including the last dairy farm in Somerset County), there are no vineyards w/in the town--or even very close to town. The closest vineyard is probably Old York Cellars, located on Old York Road in Ringoes.

From the Somerset section of Franklin Twp, you would take Amwell Road westbound until it changes to Old York Road, and the total travel time would probably be ~35 minutes.

Thank you for this - 35 minutes isn't bad at all, and where we're moving is very close to Amwell Road. Love being near so many farms - we're even considering joining a CSA. Looking forward to getting to know the region better

Old 05-05-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Love being near so many farms - we're even considering joining a CSA. Looking forward to getting to know the region better
The two CSAs located in township are the ones at The Griggstown Quail Farm (yes, they raise veggies in addition to poultry) and Catalpa Farm.

The Griggstown Farm has a Princeton mailing address--like everyone else in that part of the township--but they are located in the bucolic Griggstown section of Franklin, on Bunker Hill Road, very close to the intersection with Canal Road.

Catalpa Farm is located just off of South Middlebush Road, on Old Vliet Road, in the Franklin Park section of the township, although they also have a Princeton mailing address.

I was a member of the Griggstown CSA for several years, but this year I decided to try Catalpa instead. Griggstown was overloading everyone with HUGE quantities of tomatillos and many varieties of hot peppers, with less emphasis on more...mainstream...produce like tomatoes, zucchini, etc. Tomatillos are...okay...but they have a very limited usefulness, IMHO.
Apparently Catalpa does not grow any tomatillos...thank God!

http://catalpafarmnj.com/cfnj/Our%20CSA/

Last edited by Retriever; 05-05-2014 at 11:41 AM..

Old 05-09-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I was a member of the Griggstown CSA for several years, but this year I decided to try Catalpa instead. Griggstown was overloading everyone with HUGE quantities of tomatillos and many varieties of hot peppers, with less emphasis on more...mainstream...produce like tomatoes, zucchini, etc. Tomatillos are...okay...but they have a very limited usefulness, IMHO.
Apparently Catalpa does not grow any tomatillos...thank God!

Catalpa Farm - Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) - Franklin Township, NJ

This is good to know, and I'll check out both! Tomatillos and hot peppers could make for some good salsa, but that would get old really quick ... Catalpa definitely sounds like a more practical choice.

Thanks for all of this information. You've been really helpful!

Old 05-09-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Tomatillos and hot peppers could make for some good salsa, but that would get old really quick ... Catalpa definitely sounds like a more practical choice.

Thanks for all of this information. You've been really helpful!
Yup!
After making large quantities of salsa two weeks in a row, and after having it hang around in my refrig for...an extended period of time until it was used up, I essentially ran out of ideas for Tomatillos. And, I like hot peppers, but...three varieties each week? Who--except for a Mexican chef--could possibly use so many hot peppers?

If Griggstown had kept providing mostly mainstream produce, like in earlier years, I would have stayed with them. The first month for Catalpa is supposed to include asparagus--which we never got from Griggstown. And, Catalpa's pick-up lists from last year included strawberries, as well as brown eggs. I would have loved to have gotten these items from Griggstown, rather than mass quantities of both Tomatillos and hot peppers!

P.S.--If you have any other questions...just ask!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey