U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2007, 08:54 AM

23 posts, read 96,842 times

Advertisements

Please help me and clarify my questions about society hill townhouses and condos in jersey city NJ:
1)The duplexes in society hill are advertising as luxury townhouses but Townhouse owners hold title to their units and the land beneath them… however in society hill there is a garden house beneath the duplexes… so these duplexes are consider as what CONDOS OR TOWNHOUSES????? Because the land is shared by garden house owner and duplex house owner.
2)What would be the fair price for 3 beds and 2.5 bath duplex in the society hill?
3)If the roof leaks who is responsible to repair in society hill?
4)Should we take permission with homeowners association and also garden house owners if we remodel the interior house like flooring, bath rooms and kitchen?
5)Is deck and outside steps of the house responsible by association or owners if it has some repair problems or cracks?
6) Approximately how much cost should we pay for the house insurance?

I would very much appreciated if any one clarify the above questions as soon as possible….
Thankyou
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 05:05 PM

22 posts, read 80,097 times
Please take the time to get the right answers before you become an owner. I believe that you are on the right track by asking these questions.

3)If the roof leaks who is responsible to repair in society hill? I live in a condo and there is a term called common elements. Get the bylaws that are applicable to this location you are inquiring about and it should tell you.
My guess is, that if there is a problem with the roof or the common elements, it would either come out of the "reseve fund" or an assessment would be taken from each owner depending on the number of shares they own to fix it.
4)Should we take permission with homeowners association and also garden house owners if we remodel the interior house like flooring, bath rooms and kitchen?
Again, read the bylaws....but these set ups are very regulated and each owner have to be in compliance or they can be fined etc.

5)Is deck and outside steps of the house responsible by association or owners if it has some repair problems or cracks?
Read the bylaws and ask maybe your lawyer before purchasing.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:41 PM

515 posts, read 1,611,259 times
Kl - The townhouses you're asking about can be condos. The "townhouse" part is a description of the structure itself. "Condo" is a form of real estate ownership.

As C-O Hackensack mentioned there are different components to a condominimum. The respective Offering Plan and By-Laws will define and spell out everything. READ IT. Bascially, you have the "unit" you own - typically defined as everything from the studs or interior walls and on into the residential space.

"Limited Common Elements" -- these typically are such things as patios and balconies of which a respective unity owner has exclusive use, but for which the condo association is responsible for maintenance - the cost of which is coveraged in your common area maintenance costs (usually collected monthly).

"Common Elements" -- these typically are such things as parking lots, side walks, lawns, gardens, roofs, oustide of buildings, recreational elements, etc. All unit owners have the right to use these area and, again, the on-going maintenance is part of your maintenace costs.

Typically, with a condo form of ownership (as opposed to a co-op) you can remodel and due whatever to the interior of your unit. Again, though, a unit owner is bound by the respective by-laws.

I think Society Hill is K.Hovanian development. Their offering plans and by-laws I've read (I live in a development in NY) are generally well put together and very liveable.

As to your Q 2) - fair price -- check Zillow.com, Realtor.com and local real estate agents.

Q 6) Check with several insurance agents.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey