Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 07:42 PM

3 posts, read 3,185 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Kansas City, MO to the NJ/NY area. I will be working in Time Square. I was looking at either Bayonne or West New York. Safe location where I can go for either an early morning run or evening run is key. Also I want my commute to Time Square to be somewhat moderate. Parking is require I have a luxury automobile. There is a new apartment unit in West New York that I am leaning too at 6035 Park Ave called the Meridia. My second and third choices are the Peninsula Court Apartment 22nd st Bayonne or Alexan CityView Bayonne.

I believe the West New York commute is more efficient, but is the area safe?
Is anyone familiar with this areas/complex's info appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 10:20 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,851,625 times
I'm not familiar with those specific buildings, but the commute from West New York may be easier than Bayonne. Here's the Waterway Ferry schedules: Fares, Routes & Schedules

There are free buses to/from the ferries in NJ & Manhattan. Not sure if there's one from West New York to the ferry. http://www.nywaterway.com/NewJerseyBus.aspx

You can also use NJ Transit's Trip Planner to look for buses to the City.
http://www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servl...ion=HomePageTo

BTW, I assume that you have no children & so are not concerned about schools.

Last edited by daliowa; 05-02-2014 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 05-02-2014, 11:10 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
I'd rather commute from WNY to Times Square than from Bayonne. I'm not familiar with the buildings specifically, but am fairly familiar with the neighborhoods. I have friends who live within a block or two of both areas. Both areas are pretty safe. Neither is really "nice" or beautiful, but they're fine enough. Not bad neighborhoods with lots of crime. WNY and most of the towns surrounding it (Union City, Guttenberg, North Bergen) are primarily Hispanic.

In WNY most of the businesses are convenience stores, random shops, etc. Near 22nd St. in Bayonne, there are similar shops on Broadway plus you're walking distance to a mega shopping center with Walmart, Lowes, etc.

There are decent places to run in both areas. In WNY, you can run along Blvd. East up to North Hudson Park, or add some terrain by running down the palisade and along the Hudson River promenade. In Bayonne, there are a few areas such as the MOTBY peninsula and Bayonne Golf Club where you can run a few miles without too much interaction with traffic. You'll have to cross a big highway to get to the peninsula though.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:59 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,808,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danjonmcd View Post
Parking is require I have a luxury automobile.
Ditch your luxury automobile.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:09 PM

Any recommendation, on where to live. I do not want a long commute, parking is required, right now I am looking at $1,875 in WNY.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Any recommendation, on where to live. I do not want a long commute, parking is required, right now I am looking at $1,875 in WNY.

You may want to browse in CraigsList for Northern Jersey: craigslist: north jersey classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Edgewater may work for you. There's a ferry from Edgewater to Manhattan: Fares, Routes & Schedules

Or, you can take the Light Rail to Hoboken & then take the PATH train to Manhattan.

There's a great site: www.showmystreet.com It is free to use. Type in any address & you'll get a street view. Some areas you'll see the fronts of the houses & some areas only have an aerial view. You can simple type in Edgewater, NJ and browse around the town.

If I recall correctly there is a boardwalk in Edgwater to run / jog, etc.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:38 PM

Expect to pay for parking in that area of NJ. But, that's a question to ask before renting.

You might also look at the Newport section of Jersey City. Lots of highrises. There is indoor parking, but the parking spot is expensive.

There's a PATH train station in Newport.

Newport has a very nice boardwalk on the Hudson River for walking, jogging, etc.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:39 PM

124 posts, read 149,668 times
Quote:
That seems about right. Bayonne sux, and it will be hard to commute from. I'd suggest looking at direct train towns. Buses are not reliable. I'd stay in KC tho if it was me, much better QOL.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:30 AM

Need to keep the car to carry the golf clubs to the course on the weekends. Staying in KC is not the best option. I like the idea of train how about Lynnhurst or North Bergen?

Old 05-04-2014, 06:01 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,300 times
Quote:
Need to keep the car to carry the golf clubs to the course on the weekends. Staying in KC is not the best option. I like the idea of train how about Lynnhurst or North Bergen?
You know you could rent a car on weekends for that purpose and likely and still come out cheaper and put that savings towards an apt with an easier commute. To be honest though, i would only ditch the car if you were in Hoboken or Jersey city which are very walkable towns. Most other places would be difficult without a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey