Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 07:03 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
If this is the way that you react to an issue that almost surely will have no impact on your life, I would hate to see your reaction to a situation that does have the potential to impact your life. I do think that a physical exam and medical consultation might be in order for you at this point, and I wish you all the best with both your health and your job prospects.

Feeling much better today after a good bit of rest :

Yes, I have booked an appointment with the doctor and will see what is wrong. Its the stress of unemployment which is driving me insane right now. Especially after mom said what a useless child I was yesterday afternoon for not having a high paying job in hand.

Here is the complete picture of what circumstances are leading to this dramatization.

I am trying to find work all over the US, but have been unlucky so far. The only successful Internship I have had so far, was outside the United states through connections. It was an intensive (55 hr/week), but great experience though. My supervisor was impressed with the work I did. I asked them if they have any openings available in the united states. Sadly, they operate only within India and Sri Lanka.

I would like to eventually work in jobs related aerospace engineering. I applied to hundreds of private companies online (Boeing, Lockheed, Northrup Grumman, Honeywell Aerospace, Parker Hannifin, and several other smaller ones). I also applied to two government jobs with the FAA in AC and Philly. Several applications were rejected and many others are stuck at "Under Consideration" for the past several months. The latter annoys me the most, and has caused me to go crazy on whether I will get the position or be kicked out.

As of now, if someone has not responded to my application status in 5 months, I consider it a done deal. I have signed up to extend my voluntary research related to flexible electronic devices with my professor till August, but beyond that Rutgers graduates are no longer allowed to work in labs as per regulations. Hopefully, in the next 3 months I can find employment and start progressing in life. My bank account is almost empty at this point. Dad says that he can no longer keep affording to lend me money to cover expenses as a good portion of his income is drained in paying mortgage for our new home. Mom wants me to start earning soon because her job does not pay enough to cover personal expenses. So, what Should I do. I have no choice but to start earning enough and support myself, pay off my college loans, and pay my brother tuition as well.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 05-04-2014 at 07:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 07:32 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
What amazes me is that liberals will automatically bash a repub, but then praise a dem who's pretty much the same.

Last edited by camaro69; 05-04-2014 at 07:57 AM..

Old 05-04-2014, 07:37 AM

414 posts, read 931,270 times
Adi from the Brunswicks,

Would you seriously consider working for this overseas company in India or Sri Lanka? It might be worth it to go there for a couple of years, get some valuable work experience..and then you'd be more martketable back here in the U.S.

Just a thought Best of luck in securing a new job though!

Old 05-04-2014, 07:59 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Winter Soldier View Post
Adi from the Brunswicks,

Would you seriously consider working for this overseas company in India or Sri Lanka? It might be worth it to go there for a couple of years, get some valuable work experience..and then you'd be more martketable back here in the U.S.

Just a thought Best of luck in securing a new job though!
Yes, they don't pay as much but cover all lodging, transportation, and part of your food expenses for no charge. The employees are also very kind and disciplined. It was a great experience, but sadly they don't operate in the US. I have applied to positions in companies requiring similar experience deep down south, but they don't seem to be interested in me. If I am unable to secure a job in the US by August, a few years of experience abroad would surely help. All I am saying is that I cant guarantee that I will come back, because that decision is deeper into the future. I hope to be back in NJ though, it invokes a special and comforting feeling of "we are home".

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 05-04-2014 at 08:12 AM..

Old 05-04-2014, 08:23 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Feeling much better today after a good bit of rest :

Yes, I have booked an appointment with the doctor and will see what is wrong. Its the stress of unemployment which is driving me insane right now.
Please insist that your MD draws some blood in order to test you for Infectious Mononucleosis.
While most doctors don't seem to recognize the relationship, one of the first signs of that infection (before the more commonly-recognized symptoms) is an inability to deal with stress.

In the early stages of that infection, a person who used to be able to deal with adversity will become extremely labile in regard to his/her emotions, and will have emotional melt-downs for seemingly trivial reasons. Even if that test comes back with a negative result, have the test repeated in two weeks, in order to rule out Infectious Mononucleosis.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:35 PM

124 posts, read 149,678 times
I gotta say tho, RU would be better off letting a smart race traitor speak rather than a dumb nobody (Snooki)

Old 05-04-2014, 12:38 PM

124 posts, read 149,678 times
Adi, perhaps you might wanna reassess your application process. If you keep and keep applying and nothing comes of it, you are either not applying correctly or have problems with your resume/cover letter, maybe something else. Did you have your resume/cl looked at by professionals like career center people in your school? That could be a big factor.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:58 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/condol...140600902.html

This is embarrassing for Rutgers. Show some respect, even if you disagree politically.
Of the members of the 1st GWB administration, she's by far my favorite. I don't like what she participated in leading up to the Iraq War, but she was also just doing her job (though it would be funny to see what sort of reaction we'd have if Hilary Clinton did something of similar proportions given what we've been seeing with Benghazi - so no side is innocent). That said - How vocal were these protests? I dunno if i just stopped following this story, but it didn't seem like that big of a 'distraction' for her to need to turn down the invitation, especially so late in the game.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
What I mean is that as the university's reputation heads down hill, my life in the US will become absolutely miserable. It becomes impossible to find jobs coming from a badly reputed university. But in a place where skills are valued and university reputation is unknown, it is possible for me to strike a fortune fairly easily, as long as I am bilingual. I am just modulating my life to ensure continued personal success through legal means, whatever it takes and wherever opportunity strikes.
you think this event is the black mark on Rutgers' amazing reputation? really? a bit dramatic i think...

Old 05-05-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I am not angry at the fact Rutgers does not want Rice to speak. I know she is infamous due to political reasons. I am angry at the way this message was passed. It should have been passed in a less selfish manner, or at least in a positive way such that it does not stain the university reputation. Now look at what has happened to the image of Rutgers as a whole due to scandals and Unprofessional rejection of guest speakers. Who is going to suffer finally. Its not Barchi, but the students, all of them, regardless of how much effort they have put to establish themselves as qualified individuals. Do we all deserve to be stained, because some small group conveyed the message poorly.
ummm...Rutgers invited her to speak. RICE rejected the offer....yes, due to faculty and student protests...but not of any originzation from Rutgers' decision making staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey