Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 07:07 AM

10 posts, read 10,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
Why don't you leave earlier so you aren't late?

another one what part of "Parent" did you not understand ?
cannot leave 2 children in the street before the school bus arrives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Unfortunately, this^^^ is the bottom line.

And don't count on unemployment benefits if you get fired for cause.

Not True
i received my first check yesterday

Old 08-14-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Some people curse the darkness, and others light a candle--to paraphrase an old saying.

In your case, leaving the house earlier is equivalent to lighting that candle.

Again- what part of "Parent" did you not understand
cannot leave my kids in the street to leave earlier
my house has been for sale for over a year i reduced the price twice to where i will just about break even

Old 08-14-2014, 07:18 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet in traffice View Post
my house has been for sale for over a year i reduced the price twice to where i will just about break even
bitter.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
I travel from exit 1 on 287North to exit 41 to 80west to exit 35. Its about 50 miles one way. I leave at 7:30am I walk into my office between 8:30-8:45.

Leave earlier.
I have 2 children that need to get to school
i cannot leave them in the street so again what part of "Single Parent" did you not understand

Old 08-14-2014, 07:24 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet in traffice View Post

You're right, NO ONE else is a working parent that struggles with school schedules. At various times, we paid for early care at the school, paid someone to stay with kids for the gap time in the morning, and had them wait with a neighbor.

And the market does not care about your break-even price. Adjust your expectations to the market price.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater1 View Post
And I assume "if" there was "mass transit" your problems would be solved.
yea right,

Buses would drop you off at the bus station, how do you plan on getting to your office, walk ?
Buses would probably take you longer in time to get to the office, as they cannot travel direct, just from your home to office.
Trains are even more restrictive, they only go where tracks and stations are.

You are free to move closer to your job, many people adapt their living place to their working place
You are free to find another job, closer to home
You could leave earlier to get to work on time
You could talk to your boss about shifting your work hours

1 hr drive to go 15 mi is long, but many people have a 1 hr drive (and more) commute to work. Try commuting into Manhatten, car/bus/train/subway
1. trying to move over a year my house is for sale and reduced twice -maybe you are interested in buying it
2. i am now looking for another job while collecting unemployment
3. leave earlier - what should i do with my kids maybe you can watch them for me?
4.i did talk to my boss and he cannot let 1 person adjust their schedule without upsetting other employees

Old 08-14-2014, 07:29 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Sounds like my commute to Staten Island half the time - 13 miles door to door, on bad days it's an hour+. On good days, 25-30 mins. Also, yes to the no mass transit thing with my commute. Fun fact, there used to be trains going from Cranford to Staten Island but they closed down years ago. To use mass transit, I'd have to take NJT to NYP, ride the subway to South Ferry, then take the ferry to SI, then hop on a bus or take a cab to my destination. All this (probably a 2+ hour commute each way, so 4) for just 13 miles the mass transit way…. off topic, yes, but you're not the only one with this problem and it's not just a NJ thing. Living in this area often sucks traffic and commute wise. I suggest you leave earlier.
it boggles my mind that the Bayonne Bridge replacement isn't going to have rail space. even if it's not used right away, my coworker and I have discussed this so many times. There's a perfect place for SI commuters to park, hop on a Light Rail, and commute to their job in Jersey City or switch to the PATH to get to Manhattan. That would actually be a quicker commute for so many SI residents, and it would also allow for a way to get from NJ to SI on public transit.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:58 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
it boggles my mind that the Bayonne Bridge replacement isn't going to have rail space. even if it's not used right away, my coworker and I have discussed this so many times. There's a perfect place for SI commuters to park, hop on a Light Rail, and commute to their job in Jersey City or switch to the PATH to get to Manhattan. That would actually be a quicker commute for so many SI residents, and it would also allow for a way to get from NJ to SI on public transit.
I agree. I heard the Goethals Bridge replacement may leave space for a future rail service of some sort, but I don't know if it's true. If it is true, it would make more sense to do so with the Bayonne Bridge, or at least the two of them together.

Staten Island is so car oriented anyway, I don't even know if it would matter. NJ is too, but I'm talking about the benefit for those from SI. The SI Ferry is free, keep in mind, so it would be didficulr to compete with that IMO. People would probably rather take the free ferry into Manhattan that has been in use for a long time rather than pay for a new train service that goes through NJ.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:37 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I agree. I heard the Goethals Bridge replacement may leave space for a future rail service of some sort, but I don't know if it's true. If it is true, it would make more sense to do so with the Bayonne Bridge, or at least the two of them together.

Staten Island is so car oriented anyway, I don't even know if it would matter. NJ is too, but I'm talking about the benefit for those from SI. The SI Ferry is free, keep in mind, so it would be didficulr to compete with that IMO. People would probably rather take the free ferry into Manhattan that has been in use for a long time rather than pay for a new train service that goes through NJ.
That is supposed to say "difficult," and it's too late to edit. Consequences of using your phone to type these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey