Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 02:16 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,510,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
Winter really isn't that bad. I actually preferred the winter commute vs. the august-humidity commute. winter, you worry about the slush. i'm sure this winter was a bad one, but on bad weather days, i would just hop down into the subway. 33rd to bryant park, switch, and take the 7 to GC. i just didn't do it daily because it took about the same amount of time as walking.

Brooklyn is more expensive than Hoboken. yes, you can find an apartment for less dollars maybe than in Hoboken, but it will have far less space and less extras. it's all a tradeoff. it's not that Hoboken is "cheaper" in the amount of money that's leaving your pocket each month, but you'll have a washer/dryer in your apartment, actual space, etc. that 4% income tax isn't speculative, it's absolute.

as for the NY vs NJ taxes, I didn't notice a major change when I switched to a job in NJ. it amounted to hundreds of dollars, nothing even remotely close to 4% of my income.
To each his own. I hated the PATH even from Hoboken. I always felt it took too long. I like driving to work instead.

I'm pretty sure places in Bushwick would be cheaper than Hoboken, no?

And the tax for NJ residents to work in NY is significant. Not to you maybe, but in general it's noticable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 12:43 AM

7,053 posts, read 19,222,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
To each his own. I hated the PATH even from Hoboken. I always felt it took too long. I like driving to work instead.

And the tax for NJ residents to work in NY is significant. Not to you maybe, but in general it's noticable.
But that's what he meant by tradeoff. Yes apartments in Bushwick are cheaper. But it's Bushwick. And as much as I gripe about PATH, I wouldn't trade it for the J or M train. Canarsie is cheap too. The more comparable areas of "near Brooklyn" (Williamsburg, Dumbo, Fort Greene, BoCoCa, etc.) are more expensive than Hoboken, and who wants to pay NYC income tax?

Old 06-09-2014, 10:09 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,339,782 times
Quote:

yeah, it's not for everyone. I loved being able to take public transportation vs driving. the PATH to 33rd was a 15 minute ride.

what is the tax that NJ residents working in NY have to pay that a NY resident doesn't? a NYC resident pays 4% city taxes and all the same state taxes a NJ resident would pay (NY and NJ are reciprocal states). I'm fairly certain NJ state income tax is slightly lower than NY, no? Oh and if you live in NYC, you'll also be paying sales tax at a higher rate and on more goods. So there's that added expense as well. 8.375% vs 7%, with a lot of clothing being taxable.

I dunno about Bushwick, but it doesn't look very cheap:

Bushwick New York City Apartments for Rent - 693 Rentals - Zillow

Old 06-09-2014, 12:28 PM

1,942 posts, read 3,295,217 times
Quote:

I can agree about the Hoboken Path. I hate it. It's a cattle car and it squeals and turns like a runaway mining cart.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:41 PM

121 posts, read 170,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flutey16 View Post
My husband and I are seriously considering moving to Hoboken to be closer to our family in NJ and also for more space (we have a baby). We both work in midtown east and were wondering how good/bad the commute is from Hoboken. We will be renting a place for the first year at least so should we look for something closer to the Path or closer to the Ferry? The ferry, while expensive, seems like a good option given that there's a bus that drops passengers off to midtown. However, I couldn't find any info on how reliable/fast the buses are during peak commute times.

Also any recommendations on child friendly rental buildings/part of town would be greatly appreciated.
> Most reliable and least time variation independent of commute time: Take PATH to 33rd / NRQ to 42nn / walk or take 7/S across. You have to live closer to Hoboken south for this (that's where PATH station is).

> More comfortable, slightly more expensive, somewhat dependent on commute time: Take Ferry to midtown and ferry bus from there. The catch here is that the cross-town bus can (and does) get slowed down in traffic around rush hour. You have to live closer to north Hoboken for this, that is where the midtown ferry departs from.

> Least reliable, cheapest, highly dependent on commute time: Take 126 to PA and then 7/S to midtown. The bus crawls through Hoboken, Lincoln tunnel is terribly backed up at peak hours, there are really long lines at PA at rush hour for the bus on the way back. You can pretty much live in most of Hoboken for this option.

If I were you, I would also explore slightly up the river (West New York, Weehawken) and down the river (Newport, Exchange Place) as the commute may not change much but you will likely get more for your money.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
PATH from Hoboken takes <15 minutes to drop you off at 33rd / 6th and costs 2 bucks. Driving into the city at 8:30am from Hoboken takes 45 minutes (if not more), costs 13 bucks (and rising) in tolls and then you have to pay at least 17 bucks to park in the city. Then on the way back, you once again stay stuck for 30-45 minutes (if not more) to get out of the city through the tunnel.

There are some logical limits to 'to each his own.'

Quote:

Median household income in Hoboken was 121k to 28k in Bushwick. 75% of the children in Bushwich are 'born to poverty' compared to 20% in Hoboken.

What kind of comparison is that?

Quote:
Still trying to understand what that even means. EVERYONE who works in NYC pays NY state taxes. NJ residents get a credit for that tax paid and hence end up paying close to nothing in state taxes to NJ.

However, NYC residents (in all boroughs) also pay a NYC city tax that the aforementioned NJ workers in NY do not have to pay.

What is the confusion there?

Old 06-10-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicobellic View Post
PATH from Hoboken takes <15 minutes to drop you off at 33rd / 6th and costs 2 bucks. Driving into the city at 8:30am from Hoboken takes 45 minutes (if not more), costs 13 bucks (and rising) in tolls and then you have to pay at least 17 bucks to park in the city. Then on the way back, you once again stay stuck for 30-45 minutes (if not more) to get out of the city through the tunnel.

There are some logical limits to 'to each his own.'

Median household income in Hoboken was 121k to 28k in Bushwick. 75% of the children in Bushwich are 'born to poverty' compared to 20% in Hoboken.

What kind of comparison is that?
Incorrect. PATH takes more than 15 minutes to get from HOB to 33rd. You are living in a fairy tale if you think it takes that little. It's 15-20 just from 14th and there are delays in the morning.

My point is you'd get more bang for your buck in Bushwick than in Hoboken. Why are you bringing in poverty rates?

Old 06-10-2014, 03:52 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,339,782 times
Quote:
Incorrect. PATH takes more than 15 minutes to get from HOB to 33rd. You are living in a fairy tale if you think it takes that little. It's 15-20 just from 14th and there are delays in the morning.

My point is you'd get more bang for your buck in Bushwick than in Hoboken. Why are you bringing in poverty rates?
i took the PATH for 6 years, almost every single day, and it never took more than 15 minutes to get from HOB to 33rd st.

if you look at the travel tables, time states 14 minutes (Schedules - PATH - The Port Authority of NY & NJ).

in my 6 years of taking the PATH, we were held up on the train ONCE. there were a handful of horrible rain/snow days in those 6 years where PATH service was closed so I had to take a bus into the city instead. that didn't happen more than maybe 6 times, and it was when there was either horrendous flooding or 15+ inches of snow.

OP - the PATH is a very reliable form of transportation. it does get crowded if you get on after 7:55AM (before that, it's really not that bad and the earlier you go the emptier it is). The return trip is pretty solidly crowded from 5pm - 6:15pm. Starts to clear up after that though.

You'll see in the schedule, starting at 7:52AM, the PATH runs every 6 minutes and it runs that frequently until 9:28AM. That's 17 trains that depart basically within 90 minutes. It moves a TON of people every Monday through Friday.

Freshflaskes also doesn't seem to know very much about Bushwick at all.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i took the PATH for 6 years, almost every single day, and it never took more than 15 minutes to get from HOB to 33rd st.

if you look at the travel tables, time states 14 minutes (Schedules - PATH - The Port Authority of NY & NJ).

in my 6 years of taking the PATH, we were held up on the train ONCE. there were a handful of horrible rain/snow days in those 6 years where PATH service was closed so I had to take a bus into the city instead. that didn't happen more than maybe 6 times, and it was when there was either horrendous flooding or 15+ inches of snow.

OP - the PATH is a very reliable form of transportation. it does get crowded if you get on after 7:55AM (before that, it's really not that bad and the earlier you go the emptier it is). The return trip is pretty solidly crowded from 5pm - 6:15pm. Starts to clear up after that though.

You'll see in the schedule, starting at 7:52AM, the PATH runs every 6 minutes and it runs that frequently until 9:28AM. That's 17 trains that depart basically within 90 minutes. It moves a TON of people every Monday through Friday.

Freshflaskes also doesn't seem to know very much about Bushwick at all.
Bushwick IS up and coming. Hoboken is already too expensive to deal with. Not to mention bad public schools and paying for parking.

Again, during rush hour it DOES NOT take 15 minutes to get from HOB to 33rd. Rarely did it ever make it so. Also after 11pm the PATH is a complete POS as it goes into limited hours mode.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Bushwick IS up and coming. Hoboken is already too expensive to deal with....

By that logic, I guess next time people post questions about Ridgewood and Millburn, maybe we should tell them how Newark is 'up and coming' and has a direct train and subway link to New York. And an airport too!!!

Btw the PATH absolutely takes 15 minutes to go from Hoboken to NYC, on weekdays as well as weekends.

I am beginning to suspect that you are trolling here. No one who has ever ever lived in Hoboken will claim that the PATH takes more than 15 minutes and driving into the city is a better option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey