Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 11:47 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
It's not exaggeration, it's true. NJ just totally sucks at getting it's mass transportation in order. The PATH is arguably the most reliable of the other options, but infrastructure-wise it's still pathetic. One would figure HOB and JC being connected to the largest city in America that the PATH should run near schedules 24/7. The weekend and late night schedules are beyond deplorable.

Even with the new cars I recall having issues with A/C, LCD panels malfunctioning, and yes, somewhat frequent signal issues (you are lying that it 'hardly' happens -- but that's what happens when you're an apologist.) And like I said, usually never around 14 minutes to 33rd, more like 20.

I really don't care though. There is something depressing about going through that mining tunnel twice a day between the two stations. Not for me.
The ridership late at night just doesn't warrant it. other than the first few trains on the 30 minute late night schedule, i've never even been on a "full" PATH train other than during rush hour. I'd gladly even have paid a higher fare if it ran more frequently on friday night and saturday night, but the #s just have never really been there.

I had A/C problems (on individual cars, not the entire train) on the old cars. Never had a problem on the new cars though, but they got the new cars towards the end of my Hoboken tenure so I don't have as much experience on those.

LCD panels that showed the lame programming and adverstisements? Ok

I'm not lying that it hardly happens. I lived in Hoboken from June, 2004 - March, 2010. I was only ever late to work because of a PATH delay 6 times. Once was after an insane downpour flooded most of Hoboken. Another two times was one winter where we had one week of insanely low temperatures, and one of those times was a homeless person lit a fire in the tunnel. The other 3 times were just those random delays that held the train up for a few minutes. Not an apologist, just speaking about my experience. and the thousands of people who ride it daily can tell you exactly the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 11:48 AM

Major delays as PATH lines are suspended; Port Authority blames signal failure | NJ.com

Bheeraj Sharma, 21, of Jersey City, left the Journal Square PATH station at about 9 a.m. to try to take a bus into Manhattan. Sharma has been riding the PATH for almost a year and said he's never seen delays like this.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:12 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
The ridership late at night just doesn't warrant it. other than the first few trains on the 30 minute late night schedule, i've never even been on a "full" PATH train other than during rush hour. I'd gladly even have paid a higher fare if it ran more frequently on friday night and saturday night, but the #s just have never really been there.

I had A/C problems (on individual cars, not the entire train) on the old cars. Never had a problem on the new cars though, but they got the new cars towards the end of my Hoboken tenure so I don't have as much experience on those.

LCD panels that showed the lame programming and adverstisements? Ok

I'm not lying that it hardly happens. I lived in Hoboken from June, 2004 - March, 2010. I was only ever late to work because of a PATH delay 6 times. Once was after an insane downpour flooded most of Hoboken. Another two times was one winter where we had one week of insanely low temperatures, and one of those times was a homeless person lit a fire in the tunnel. The other 3 times were just those random delays that held the train up for a few minutes. Not an apologist, just speaking about my experience. and the thousands of people who ride it daily can tell you exactly the same thing.
Sharma has a short term memory I suppose...

Now you are just full of it. Every since day people have to stand during rush hour between HOB and 33rd. People jump to get seats as soon as the doors open. On the way home it's the same deal.

The ridership on the weekends not warranting service? Have you seen the madhouse of drunk NJ people in those PATH cars packed to the gills at 2:00am on a Friday night puking on one another? I have, and it's not pretty.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:14 PM

121 posts, read 170,567 times
Quote:
Even with the new cars I recall having issues with A/C, LCD panels malfunctioning, and yes, somewhat frequent signal issues (you are lying that it 'hardly' happens -- but that's what happens when you're an apologist.) And like I said, usually never around 14 minutes to 33rd, more like 20.

I really don't care though. There is something depressing about going through that mining tunnel twice a day between the two stations. Not for me.
Can you please explain the tax math that you had mentioned earlier? Asking for the third time. I eagerly await your explanation.

If a someone is working in NYC making 100k a year, NY tax 6%, NJ tax 6%, NYC tax 3%, what would the total tax burden be i) as a NJ resident ii) as a NYC resident

Thanks.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:21 PM

121 posts, read 170,567 times
Quote:
Every since day people have to stand during rush hour between HOB and 33rd.
And in rush hour, I still have to stand on any and every subway train that I take in the city.

So now your opposition to the PATH is that you cannot get a seat in rush hour?

Old 06-11-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicobellic View Post
Can you please explain the tax math that you had mentioned earlier? Asking for the third time. I eagerly await your explanation.

If a someone is working in NYC making 100k a year, NY tax 6%, NJ tax 6%, NYC tax 3%, what would the total tax burden be i) as a NJ resident ii) as a NYC resident

Thanks.
First off, I don't care what you think. Second, why the hell do you care so much about tax codes? Does it really make that much of a difference or do you just have a fetish towards Hoboken?

If I'm paying $1200 a month in Hoboken VS. $600 in Bushwick, guess what I'm going to pick? Not to mention the surrounding area in BKLYN is going to be cheaper dollar for dollar than HOB.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
And in rush hour, I still have to stand on any and every subway train that I take in the city.

So now your opposition to the PATH is that you cannot get a seat in rush hour?
I just count my lucky stars that I get to be in my car everyday going to work unlike you dirty peasents riding outdated subways

Old 06-11-2014, 12:29 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Quote:

Thanks.
"I was wrong" just isn't in his vocabulary

Old 06-11-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
"I was wrong" just isn't in his vocabulary
There is nothing to be wrong about.

"I'm an idiot" isn't in yours.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Sharma has a short term memory I suppose...

Now you are just full of it. Every since day people have to stand during rush hour between HOB and 33rd. People jump to get seats as soon as the doors open. On the way home it's the same deal.

The ridership on the weekends not warranting service? Have you seen the madhouse of drunk NJ people in those PATH cars packed to the gills at 2:00am on a Friday night puking on one another? I have, and it's not pretty.
apparantly you cannot read very well. i specifically said "other than rush hour". but good job.

as for the 2am, yes, the train fills up, but the platform empties 100%. no one gets left behind because they couldn't fit, and then it takes just about another 15-20 minutes of people mosying onto the platform before the next train would even be 50-60% full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey