Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:28 AM

717 posts, read 773,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Christ hospital - Oh that brings back a great experience. Wife was pregnant about 6 months. Having pains. As she is on a stretcher, we see a guy full of blood, handcuffed to the side railing just lying on his back in one of the hallways. Have you ever seen that? Not us?!?!? The doctor wanted to do some intense testing on my wife which required minor surgery. My wife said forget it, no way and we left. Needless to say, my wife was just having normal pains. Her real doctor said thankgod that JC Christ doc did not touch you as it could have caused major problems. Mind you, the hospital was filthy, and the handcuffed guy wrapped in blood bandages was still there.

Nice Hospital, huh!?!? Welcome to JC!
My wife works at another hospital in the area. She hears horror stories about Christ Hospital all the time. Its like a 3rd world hospital with a parking garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 11:10 AM

80 posts, read 219,381 times
OMG!!! Todd72173, were you blindfolded and led inside your condo and held hostage there until you paid for it? Did you not see the people walking on the sidewalks next to your "prestigious" street! Marlboro has all of 38,000 people living there. Wow. JC must have scared the pants off of you. I can't believe you took Path (to NYC?) where there are other ethnic groups and languages being spoken! Don't check out the subway tracks in Manhattan too closely. You might see mice!

Old 04-15-2008, 11:56 AM

6 posts, read 17,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
Please stop being so naive.
I have posted the stats on crime in JC more than once...it is your choice if you want to listen or not. I worked in JC for 15 years. I lived next door in Bayonne for 30 years. My in-laws live downtown right now. Paint the prettiest picture that you want in your mind, but you will not fool anyone but yourself.

U don't live here...ur in Bayonne. Do you think Bayonne is any better than downtown JC when it comes to crime? All the stats on crime ur going to post are going to reflect all of JC. I agree that there are very bad parts of JC, but I'm speaking of only downtown. If Downtown is so bad why don't ur in-laws sell there single family brownstone that is probably worth a million and buy a house anywhere in NJ they want. Please explain this? I just can't understand why people miss inform others about crime, places to live, etc. Thats right... if it's so bad why are they here? Additionally u can't compare downtown 15 years ago or even 5 years ago for that matter. Different place. I'm not saying downtown is some perfect utopia without crime, but like i said before it is a big city....every city has crime...if you want to be in a place with little to no crime move to the burbs..

Old 04-15-2008, 12:12 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
I lived in Journal Square for a year in 1999 - and found it to be completely safe. I personally loved that there were so many ethnic groups, and I was 2 blocks from the PATH. I'm sure my apartment isn't affordable now (then it was $600).

What I didn't like: parking was a constant battle...there was a really strange smell in the air on some days and I have no idea of what it was...not enough grass for dog walking...roaches in apartment (but this building was not well maintained).

Old 04-15-2008, 08:43 PM

828 posts, read 3,137,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkap11 View Post
U don't live here...ur in Bayonne. Do you think Bayonne is any better than downtown JC when it comes to crime? All the stats on crime ur going to post are going to reflect all of JC. I agree that there are very bad parts of JC, but I'm speaking of only downtown. If Downtown is so bad why don't ur in-laws sell there single family brownstone that is probably worth a million and buy a house anywhere in NJ they want. Please explain this? I just can't understand why people miss inform others about crime, places to live, etc. Thats right... if it's so bad why are they here? Additionally u can't compare downtown 15 years ago or even 5 years ago for that matter. Different place. I'm not saying downtown is some perfect utopia without crime, but like i said before it is a big city....every city has crime...if you want to be in a place with little to no crime move to the burbs..
You should practice what you preach...
I do not live in Bayonne.
My in-laws do not own a brownstone.
Jersey City is Jersey City...stop trying to dissect each street for your own position.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:00 PM

16 posts, read 88,354 times
WOW..Todd72173 your ignorance is incredible.

Lets break down your post. First, you were a sucker for spending 240K for a one bedroom back in 2005...take a look at where the market was then, and you were on the high side. You should have done some more research before buying. You post overall screams of buyers remorse. Mice and Roaches? Did you not have the place inspected properly? If you had, you would have found evidence of that before hand.

As far as being white and being "a minority" I think you first must understand what minority means (look up the definition). The stats for JC are as follows
[LEFT]Races in Jersey City:
Black (28.3%)

Hispanic (28.3%)

White Non-Hispanic (23.6%)

Other race (15.1%)

Filipino (6.6%)

Two or more races (5.8%)

Asian Indian (5.4%)

Chinese (1.5%)

Other Asian (1.3%)

American Indian (1.0%)

Vietnamese (0.7%)
Korean (0.6%)

Secondly English is still the first language spoken, yes there is alot of people that speak Spanish as well as other languages, but this is URBAN America and not specific to JC.
[/LEFT]

As Far as parking, Jersey City is not responsible for you irresponsibility. You not moving your car for alternate street cleaning is nobody's fault but your own. As far as someone putting their ticket on your car, if you stopped and looked at the parking ticket you would have seen the plate number wasn't correct. This is all COMMON SENSE.

Also, I really don't understand why you would be strolling down Tonnelle Ave (AKA 1 & 9) I wouldn't consider that as "part of the neighborhood" But I understand that you were trying to strengthen a WEAK post. :>)

Old 04-21-2008, 12:05 PM

253 posts, read 1,266,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
there was a really strange smell in the air on some days and I have no idea of what it was...
Yes. I've always said that as I enter Jersey City on Newark Avenue (I think it's Newark Avenue) right before turning onto Kennedy Boulevard - something smells strange. Actually I think it stinks, but there is always a whoof of something in the air. Same thing in the area where Kennedy meets Communipaw - what is that smell.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:45 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,682,547 times
I have lived in Jersey City for the past 4 years. Whether Jersey City is suitable for you depends on what you are looking for.

The waterfront has been transformed dramatically, as well as old, elegant 19th-century townhouses in Paulus Hook. Jersey Avenue is jumping with nightlife, and there are lots of cool restaurants and coffee houses. There are now quite a number of quaint streets in Jersey City that have been cleaned up and are very pleasant for strolling. The cleaned-up areas are quite safe at night. I would say, if you are a yuppie with no kids, Jersey City is a good place for you -- but to rent, not to own (see below).

That said, however, there are definite disadvantages. Jersey City is still catching up to its neighbor Hoboken in terms of infrastructure and services geared towards well-heeled professional people. Housing prices are lower in Jersey City, and it has many more brand-spanking-new space-age apartment buildings; but Hoboken has more shopping and services for the "cool" crowd (like health food stores, for example).

If you buy real estate in Jersey City, keep in mind that the taxes are atrocious. Developers and apartment rental companies enjoy lengthy tax abatements -- condo owners do not. Jersey City is a large city, with much of its population quite poor and in need of extensive municipal services -- and rest assured, the city will squeeze every last red cent from those budding NYC capitalists who bought residences on the waterfront and in Paulus Hook. Even so, high taxes are only part of the problem -- the clincher is that the residents who pay them get back very little. Jersey City has potholes the size of basketballs, stop signs where traffic lights should be and terrible public schools. The idea of paying taxes through the nose and then paying private school tuition on top of that doesn't seem fair -- does it?

And another thing. Every now and then, you hear urbanites complain how there is dull life is out in the sticks, and hillbillies complain about the madness of cities. It's a good idea to remember that Jersey City is urban. That necessarily entails noise, traffic and higher crime rates than in the countryside. If you want something serene and bucolic, stay away from Jersey City -- as well as NYC and the North Jersey waterfront. If you want the excitement of living close to the City, you have to take the bitter with the sweet, too.

In short, Jersey City is good for well-heeled single professionals, DINK couples, and people who like living in an urban area and willing to accept the cost. It's not suitable for families with children and people who crave a more suburban or quiet lifestyle.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:48 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
The Post is whats wrong with Jersey City. Well as someone that has lived in Jersey City for over 35 years and has worked in the city his entire career as the last post states it might be good for yuppies with no kids. WE HAD 5 SHOOTINGS 30 HOURS THAT RESULTED IN 3 HOMICIDES. Yes 3 killings in 30 hours and 2 people in critical condition. I love Jersey City but stop trying to paint the city as the come back kid, it's not. Everyone can try but when you have extremely poor people packed together in numerous projects spread THRUOUT the city there is a tendency for crime. And before I get bashed for picking on the poor people in the projects not all of them or most of them are criminals. Street gangs are all over. You can walk to your nice restaurant downtown but don't stray to far. Don't complain about your high property taxes as your schools are 85 percent funded thru the state Abbott district program. Jersey City has alot of goods and bads and it seems the bads outweigh the goods. This was my home and deep inside it will always be my home. JM

Old 04-21-2008, 07:03 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,119 times
I really have no strong feelings about Jersey City one way or the other, but after reading this thread, I felt compelled to share this story. Last week I was on the PATH and I swear to you I heard a Caucasian woman in her mid to late twenties say this to her friend (after stating that she and her boyfriend are now paying $1,800 a month for rent in JC):

"I can't believe how expensive Jersey City is getting. We're getting priced out. I don't know what we'll do in five years? I guess we'll do what everyone else does and move to the suburbs ... like what's the one in New York ... oh yeah, Westchester."

LMFAO!!!

All I can say is this: The perception (and prices) in Jersey City have officially exceeded the reality!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey