Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 05:21 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Thanks

I remember St Pauls Av being kinda dumpy when I was a kid and kids dont notice that sort of thing.

How bout Havenmyers Bakery. Anyone rememer it?
I used to be in the boy scouts in St. Johns School at St.Pauls and Kenn. Blvd. 45 years ago. St. Johns School has since closed down. Many catholic schools have closed due to shrinking enrollment and the other factor of greed by the Newark Archdiocese of making a bunch of money on there Jersey City Property. Even St. Anthony's the top basketball school in the nation for years is now moving because the big shots can sell the land in downtown for a couple of million bucks to put a high rise on. Its the almighty dollar first and religion second. Too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 07:04 AM

730 posts, read 2,888,232 times
To be fair though, catholic schools are closing down all over the state due to low enrollment and higher costs of operating.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:21 AM

32 posts, read 90,403 times
Jersey Man and other posters:

Do you think the Journal Square 'towers' or complex that is being built in the new future will help the area; either it be injection of stores and residential condos. I know it takes much more for a city as big as JC to change.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante80 View Post
Jersey Man and other posters:

Do you think the Journal Square 'towers' or complex that is being built in the new future will help the area; either it be injection of stores and residential condos. I know it takes much more for a city as big as JC to change.
Of course this will be a big asset to the square area. It is replacing the Hotel on the Square which was a rat hole drug and prostitution roach infested, crime ridden eyesore. It also pushed out a dollar store, liquor store, chicken joint and a couple of underachieving buildings. It soon will be the anchor building in that area.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:28 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
To be fair though, catholic schools are closing down all over the state due to low enrollment and higher costs of operating.
Catholic schools all over this country are closing because the Vatican does not give a care about Catholic children getting a private school education. These do care, however, about their billion dollar collection of artwork.
Imagine if the Vatican sold a painting or two...a few schools would be able to stay opened.
But I digress...

Old 05-09-2008, 08:53 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,862 times
Jersey Man, you seem to have the most years/experience in JC. I was just curious with all this debate over JC and the great areas the ok areas and the bad areas what do you think the future of the city is? Im truley curious to here an opinion on the future of JC from someone with alot of knowledge on the city.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:12 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I stayed away from the JC posts for a while since every one was arguing. Catching up I see see safety is the topic again.

I was born in Elizabeth, my next door neighbor was Phil Rizzuto although I was too young to know who he was and I lived in JC for several years. I continued to visit my grandmother in JC for many many more after that.

My question is this: And since JERSEY MAN was nominated as the answer man you can answer or anyone can.

While reading about all the places you all are mentioning I began to reminisce about many things I remember as a young boy. Later on in life I worked on Communipaw Avenue from around 1982 to 1991. From there I never ventured much into the city except to a place called Havenmyers Bakery. You old timers remember the best crumb cakes on earth? The crumb was 3" thick and the cake layer on the bottom was a half inch thick. All for $2 even with no tax.

That was the first question...next, I lived at 66 St. Pauls Av. That is quite a memory some 45 years later. Anyway. What is it like now? Maybe I should ask how bad is it now?
My grandfather owned Tompkins tide water terminal by communipaw.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
Jersey Man, you seem to have the most years/experience in JC. I was just curious with all this debate over JC and the great areas the ok areas and the bad areas what do you think the future of the city is? Im truley curious to here an opinion on the future of JC from someone with alot of knowledge on the city.
My opinion on Jersey City. Good- close to NYC and mass transit systems, undergoing tremendous growth in the last 15 years it is said we passed Newark as the most populous city in NJ. On the Hudson River with tremendous views of NYC. The newer people moving in tend to be professionals and law abiding people. Bad- Gangs are prevalent and will kill you in a second, to many housing projects that the gangs have overrun. The infrastructure has not been improved to keep up with the building. Schools are very underachieving with graduation rates in the 30 percent range. Is it better than 20 years ago yes, does it have alot of negatives yes. Some areas have gotten worse while the downtown area is like a mini city in itself and is gentrified. On a crime standpoint I would definitely say it was alot worse in the 80s and early 90s. I moved out because of the school systems not the crime element. Overall if I didn't have children and I didn't want to commute I would move to one of the decent areas with the lowest crime.JM

Old 05-11-2008, 05:24 PM

15 posts, read 45,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klgm4579 View Post
WOW..Todd72173 your ignorance is incredible.

<snip>

As far as being white and being "a minority" I think you first must understand what minority means (look up the definition). The stats for JC are as follows
[LEFT]Races in Jersey City:
Black (28.3%)

Hispanic (28.3%)

White Non-Hispanic (23.6%)

Other race (15.1%)

Filipino (6.6%)

Two or more races (5.8%)

Asian Indian (5.4%)

Chinese (1.5%)

Other Asian (1.3%)

American Indian (1.0%)

Vietnamese (0.7%)
Korean (0.6%)

Secondly English is still the first language spoken, yes there is alot of people that speak Spanish as well as other languages, but this is URBAN America and not specific to JC. [/LEFT]

Interesting thread. I work occasionally on the waterfront in JC (the revitalized part), so I dont have much firsthand experience.

I did find this exchange interesting though. It seems that this Todd fellow who is being called "ignorant" and told to look up "minority" in the dictionary suggested that caucasians are a minority in JC.

Those facts which are supposedly being presented to demonstrate how ignorant he is actually seem to *support* that assertion though. I dont really care one way or the other, but it just seems that if caucasians *are* a numerical minority (and those stats seem to show that), there isnt much point in trying to hide that fact or in getting combative if someone points it out.

As for the assertion that "English is still the first spoken language", that doesnt seem like something to brag about taken in context and considering the tone. I mean isnt that something we should expect as a baseline for a US city? Is there ANY US city where English is no longer the first spoken language? Of course there will be neighborhoods where a massive ethnic majority leads to prevalent support for a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th language, but I would *hope* that folks are still learning English as immigrant communities always have so they can, you know, actually participate in the wonderful and diverse melting pot. Or is that not really happening in parts of JC? If so, I wouldnt call that "diverse". Monolithic culture isnt "diverse" just because it is hispanic (or haitian or whatever), its monolithic.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:47 PM

3 posts, read 12,462 times
your a yuppy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey