Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 12:26 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Not sure where you are,but I presonally think real estate here is too much.

We should do what Texas and a few other states do and subsidize some businesses AND get rid of the state income tax.
I am pretty sre those 2 things alone would solve 60% of our problems.
We do subsidize businesses. Panasonic got a 10 year tax deal. Revel got a nice deal for state bonds (and still failed). The mall project at the meadowlands got a nice tax deal.

Eliminate state income taxes - ok. Now what state programs are you also eliminating? Or you just hoping to create a larger budget gap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 12:29 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
instead of eliminating the state income tax, eliminate the federal income tax. that would do wonders to reduce my tax burden.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:37 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
Eliminate state income taxes - ok. Now what state programs are you also eliminating?
We'll stop funding the Abbott districts entirely. It could hardly make them worse.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:50 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
We'll stop funding the Abbott districts entirely. It could hardly make them worse.
i'd be all for some drastic reforms with the Abbott districts. But that requires a change to the state constitution. How Hoboken is still an Abbott district baffles me. But i never fully understood the ins and outs of the legalize of that crap.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:57 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
I want to see transparency to the point where I know what the state spends on every roll of toilet paper. that would probably help reduce costs.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:24 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
The NJ political machine is too big to ever think that taxes can be reduced by any significant amount.
The only way you can ever get out from under NJ taxes is to leave NJ.
But you better do it soon because in some other states the politicians are catching on to what NJ politicians have know for years, build a bigger machine and get lost in the mechanism.

You can bite the bullet and get out now or you can continue to ***** and complain until the cows come home. Oh wait a minute, are there any cows left in NJ?

I like to remind NJ people of what it used to be in the good ole days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgMEPk6fvpg

Old 05-15-2014, 02:07 PM

136 posts, read 224,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
well, personally i think the main issue with the concept is the potential savings are often grossly overstated. i'm not opposed to seeing some towns try it though. but generally speaking, i don't think we have a huge glut of labor in teaching. and if you have larger schools, the principal of that larger school will be paid a higher salary. i just think it's not as black and white as often presented.
The districts I would target would not necessarily consolidate schools or result in larger individual schools but merely eliminate overlap administration. Some salaries would need to increase, namely the superintendent of the larger district, but now all superintendent salaries are more or less capped at $175,000 if I am not mistaken so the cost increase is limited on the upside. I think net net, a well run and managed district consolidation plan would save millions or even tens of millions yearly across the state

Old 05-17-2014, 10:24 AM

807 posts, read 1,033,145 times
Consolidation seems like a good idea on paper. But in reality, it is not. One of the greatest aspects of public schools is that it brings a community together. And each of these communities are different, with different parents and different children. I can't imagine one superintendent managing multiple districts. And what about school boards? Just do away with those? Take away the power the public has over schools? How about we just privatize all schools, this way people with money will be the only ones educated.

New Jersey has some of the best schools in the world. Why mess with it? There are many, many other places to cut the state budget. I would start with taking away the golden benefits our politicians enjoy, both at the state and federal level. And if you want to consolidate, consolidate our government. There is much more waste in government than in education. And at least people in education are sincere about their goals, helping and inspiring kids. Our politicians, on the other hand, are greedy, selfish, leeches.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:53 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Shared services and schools sounds great to reduce taxes but it won't. The wealthier towns will just end up subsidizing the towns with less money. It will dilute the quality of services and schools and I doubt that a single tax will be reduced long term as a result. At best, people will end up paying the same amount for fewer services.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:31 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Mandatory consolidation of all services - public works, fire, police, schools - should be required for any adjoining towns with less than 15,000 in population. Right there we'd consolidate 1/2 of Bergen County's services. We'll be nice by allowing people to keep their town names & zip codes.
Which adjoining towns though? The result would be years to decades of lawsuits with towns trying to force or avoid certain combinations. Like the whole Englewood Cliffs school sending arrangement lawsuit a few decades back except across the entire state. Even not considering the desirability or lack thereof of such combinations, the legal costs alone would eat up the administrative savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey