Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 09:44 PM

5 posts, read 8,391 times

Advertisements

We live in sunny slope road,Bridgewater.

Can anyone let me know if tap water is safe to drink or
do we have to buy the water?

If we have to buy then what will be the best & cheapest
way?

Appreciate your answers. ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 10:46 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,109,593 times
All tap water in the US is safe to drink, and required to meet far more strict standards than bottled water is.

Some parts of the country sometimes have water-quality issues that are not health/safety issues, but that people find to be annoying to deal with (sulfur content, hard water, etc). For that, you could get a filter.

However, Bridgewater does not have any significant issues with such things.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:04 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,452,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
All tap water in the US is safe to drink, and required to meet far more strict standards than bottled water is.

Some parts of the country sometimes have water-quality issues that are not health/safety issues, but that people find to be annoying to deal with (sulfur content, hard water, etc). For that, you could get a filter.

However, Bridgewater does not have any significant issues with such things.
The above is totally false. Yes, if you are hooked up to a municipal water supply, your tap water is safe to drink and must meet far more strict standards than bottled water does. HOWEVER, many homes in the more rural areas of NJ are not on "city water" or "municipal water lines"and rather rely on private wells. This includes many homes in Bridgewater. The OP must first find out if they are hooked up to a municipal water source, or well water. (some parts of the twp are served by NJ American Water Co) If they have municipal water, they are all set and do not need to consider bottled water purchases, unless they have issues with the taste of the water. (safety is not an issue) If the OP is on a private well, as many are, they need to have their water tested for potability, especially since much of the area is also on private septics. It is recommended to regularly (yearly) screen all wells not only for bacterial contamination, but also for volatile organic chemical contamination. (there are several superfund sites in the Bridgewater area including the 575 acre American Cyanamid site which have impacted ground water quality)

Here is a link to the current twp newsletter which has info regarding testing services for those who rely on private wells within the twp. http://www.bridgewaternj.gov/docs/newsletter.pdf
KoalaNJ

Last edited by KoalaNJ; 05-11-2014 at 12:31 AM.. Reason: add additional info

Old 05-11-2014, 12:47 AM

27 posts, read 60,527 times
Looking at Sunny Slope Road in Bridgewater on GoogleEarth shows it as an apartment complex - which makes the OP completely ridiculous.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:55 AM

65 posts, read 190,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPNJRUfan View Post
Looking at Sunny Slope Road in Bridgewater on GoogleEarth shows it as an apartment complex - which makes the OP completely ridiculous.

Why? What does it matter whether it is an apartment complex or private residence? Please explain what this has to do with water quality.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:02 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Just like BarryMB, I am having a hard time figuring out the basis for your comment.

Why should an apartment dweller--and someone who is unfamiliar with the area, to boot--be any less concerned with the quality of his/her drinking water than somebody living in...let's say...a single family home?

Old 05-11-2014, 11:10 AM

Not that anyone shouldn't be concerned with their water quality, or the quality of anything they put in their body, but if its an apartment complex I'd assume its connected to the city main. Therefore, there aren't concerns with well quality, septic tanks, etc as one other poster advised of.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:34 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prasi View Post
We live in sunny slope road,Bridgewater.

Can anyone let me know if tap water is safe to drink or
do we have to buy the water?

If we have to buy then what will be the best & cheapest
way?

Appreciate your answers. ...
This is Bridgewater NJ not some south american backwater town.

If the water supply wasn't safe you'd know about it.

Your water comes from the Delaware and Raritan canal.

Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Morris, Somerset & Union Counties: New Jersey American Water to Resume Treating Water with Chloramines

Old 05-11-2014, 11:48 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Not that anyone shouldn't be concerned with their water quality, or the quality of anything they put in their body, but if its an apartment complex I'd assume its connected to the city main. Therefore, there aren't concerns with well quality, septic tanks, etc as one other poster advised of.
Unfortunately, that type of attitude is a bit naïve, as municipal water supplies can most certainly be contaminated with chemicals that you would probably not want to drink if you knew about them. I will cite the example of New Brunswick, where somebody at their water supply authority falsified water quality reports for...I believe...three years.

Thus, nobody--from the folks drinking the water, to the regulatory agencies--was aware of these water-quality violations for an extended period of time. Now, it is time for New Brunswick to clean-up its act--both literally and figuratively.

New Brunswick Water Utility Repeatedly Covered Up Quality Violations For 3+ Years | New Brunswick Today

If it happened in New Brunswick, it could happen in Bridgewater--or any other municipality--and I don't see anything unusual regarding the OP's question. All you need is one corrupt or slipshod municipal employee for long-term water quality problems to exist, and I doubt that Bridgewater is somehow exempt from having any corrupt or slipshod employees.

Last edited by Retriever; 05-11-2014 at 12:01 PM..

Old 05-11-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Unfortunately, that type of attitude is a bit naïve, as municipal water supplies can most certainly be contaminated with chemicals that you would probably not want to drink if you knew about them. I will cite the example of New Brunswick, where somebody at their water supply authority falsified water quality reports for...I believe...three years.

Thus, nobody--from the folks drinking the water, to the regulatory agencies--was aware of these water-quality violations for an extended period of time. Now, it is time for New Brunswick to clean-up its act--both literally and figuratively.

New Brunswick Water Utility Repeatedly Covered Up Quality Violations For 3+ Years | New Brunswick Today

If it happened in New Brunswick, it could happen in Bridgewater--or any other municipality--and I don't see anything unusual regarding the OP's question. All you need is one corrupt or slipshod municipal employee for long-term water quality problems to exist, and I doubt that Bridgewater is somehow exempt from having any corrupt or slipshod employees.

I am well aware of your example. The OP just struck me as odd when I first read it, as someone else just said Bridgewater isn't some third-world backwater. If one is so concerned with the water quality, then by all means buy bottled, a filter, etc. but then theres really no need for this thread is there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey