Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 07:55 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,851,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
I was just kidding about the rutgers buses lol. There are pros and cons to the system, but overall, it's run well and there are tons of options to get around campus. Specifically though, as I go to the school, they have some problems with running one line too often (the LX) and not having enough of another line (for example between livingston and douglass)

I see the Rutgers buses in New Brunswick all the time. I understand that they are only for Rutgers people.

In Princeton the Tiger transit buses run by the University can be used by anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 06:52 AM

800 posts, read 1,297,185 times
the rutgers buses "are" only for rutgers people but if your not a senior citizen or a homeless 'looking' person than the bus will work for you. they are the 2nd biggest transit authority after NJ transit in NJ and run constantly. ids are not checked to get on the bus, its a hop on hop off system thats runs nearly 24/7. i primary took it before the route 18 project was finished and its is even better now.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:42 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Taking the train is draining when commuting between home and college. Just what I've heard from others.
Did these same people find that driving between home and college was less draining, or was this in comparison to living on campus?

Old 05-15-2014, 12:00 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Lawrence (Lawrenceville), Hamilton or Ewing - either of the three are close to the Trenton train station, from which you can get the Septa train directly to Suburban Station near UPenn AND the NJ Transit train which takes you directly to New Brunswick and Rutgers. The Hamilton train station is one stop south of Princeton Junction and one stop north of Trenton, and you can get the same trains there without as much parking hassle as Trenton or Princeton Junction. In Princeton you can take the Dinky to the Princeton Junction station, but things are a bit weird because there's a lot of construction in Princeton right now.

Last edited by Lucario; 05-15-2014 at 01:24 PM..

Old 05-15-2014, 12:48 PM

802 posts, read 1,682,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Did these same people find that driving between home and college was less draining, or was this in comparison to living on campus?
Both. Driving (if not during rush hour) is a lot more relaxing than taking a train imo. You just have to try to pick classes that don't start around 9 and end at 5ish. Either way (driving or taking the train) causes you to become reluctant to study when you do get home. I have dealt with it for two years now (last exam was yesterday!!) but it takes some getting used to.

Also, to clarify, Rutgers buses are supposed to be for only individuals associated with the university, but you often see homeless people taking the buses. You can get on in the back so there is no way to stop them from getting on.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:56 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Both. Driving (if not during rush hour) is a lot more relaxing than taking a train imo. You just have to try to pick classes that don't start around 9 and end at 5ish. Either way (driving or taking the train) causes you to become reluctant to study when you do get home. I have dealt with it for two years now (last exam was yesterday!!) but it takes some getting used to.

Also, to clarify, Rutgers buses are supposed to be for only individuals associated with the university, but you often see homeless people taking the buses. You can get on in the back so there is no way to stop them from getting on.

OK, although the folks that I knew that commuted by train to school found it more relaxing and they often got work done on the train

Old 05-15-2014, 02:28 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Burlington County if driving to both - Closer to Trenton if using rail to both or either one.

Also the PA side is equally as convenient in many ways - places like Langhorne, Yardley, and Newtown

best of luck on your search

Old 05-15-2014, 04:05 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,851,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
the rutgers buses "are" only for rutgers people but if your not a senior citizen or a homeless 'looking' person than the bus will work for you. they are the 2nd biggest transit authority after NJ transit in NJ and run constantly. ids are not checked to get on the bus, its a hop on hop off system thats runs nearly 24/7. i primary took it before the route 18 project was finished and its is even better now.

What if you're a senior citizen taking a class at Rutgers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey